Mainlining question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mainlining question

The other branches that come off the mains get chopped off right? Also how bushy should it be?

Go to the tutorial section and read Nebula's Mainline and defoliation techniques. She writes it all out for you much better than I can in several pages. In fact, read all of the tutorials over time to better educate yourself on growing in all phases. It's obvious to me you have not been there and that is where you should have started if you want to be serious about growing good weed. Welcome to the forum and good luck! It's good to ask questions but you need to read and research too.
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

Comment

I've read the tutorial and been going by a video one YouTube thus far, but that's the question I can't seem to get answered. I thought I was supposed to chop the other branches so I have all mains. other advice i have gotten is once it goes into flower to stop cutting them off and let er go. I've only grown about 3 other times and this is my first mainlining attempt. Love to get a definitive answer to that question.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Great! Maybe a pic will clarify. Click on my avatar to see that pic better. That is my 12 cola total first attempt. There are 6 on each side. I used both mainline and LST training to achieve that. I did not remove any other branches as I wanted all the bud sites I could get. Some do a lollypop trimming to encourage all the growth to be concentrated into the tops. If you want more detail on this, leave a comment below this and I will watch for it. At a minimum I suggest you do some defoliation to allow more air and light into the plant bottom.

To answer your question, no. The branches coming off the mains will all grow to be individual colas, those will add to your final yield. I definitely recommend some defoliation though. Personally I cut off all the large fan leaves except the top 2-3 to open mine up and get more light to everything. Hope that helps answer your questions, I had some trouble understanding some of the tutorials fully too.

Comment

BU2B Hello, maybe I have just missed your posts but I don't remember seeing you here much lately but I've only been here 4 months. I have heard of and read some of your tutorial posts so it's good to meet you! I'm looking forward to future conversations with you. I'm hijacking so see you later.

Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
          bboyfromwayback commented
          Editing a comment
          Clip on the link Grouchy posted 😉

Hey guys first off let me thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, feeling the community love is always a good sign. Below are a few pics of underneath and the top after I did some trimming. The information in here is almost overwhelming.. this is my 4th grow. I think I let the ties go to soon but it is what it is. It's almost flower time. How did I do? Anything else I should do. I'm tempted to just let her go now after reading a few articles.. thanks again people.

Comment

Maybe I'm just seeing that wrong but did you cut off all the bud sites and leave the fan leaves on? If so, you did that backwards and that will hurt your yield if you flower too soon. If you let them grow a little longer they will grow more bud sites again and you should be fine. You only want to remove the bud sites when you're cleaning up the bottom part that won't get light. It's got good structure going though and looks good otherwise from what I see.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
            TOKABIGONE commented
            Editing a comment
            Kinda looks that way to me too, dp. I guess maybe that was his original question tho. The trunk base is getting plenty of light now as well, lol.

I thought the point of the nug buckets mainline was to only have the 8 main colas, height wise I am almost out of room that's why I was flipping.. so given that I have already been cutting the branches off what's my best plan of attack? Or is what im doing fine? I'm getting the vibe I fucked up? The pictures I see all look like these .. which don't show shoots off the sides .. am I wrong?
          Attached Files

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
            bboyfromwayback commented
            Editing a comment
            On that plant all of the side shoots were removed. It’s a personal preference really. Experiment. Grow 2-3 plants of the same strain and do something different with each one. See which you prefer; no side shoots with less overall bud but better quality tops or side shoots with more overall bud but you get more fluff. For me, if I’m growing for butter I’m ok with fluff because I can turn the fluff into butter and I don’t need to trim it. If it’s something we’re going to be smoking, I’m growing tops and putting all the effort into the top 10-12” of the plant

Please don't feel as if you fucked up! There are manifold ways of doing manifold. (pun intended, lol) You are correct for your understanding of the process and you will go on to a bountiful harvest of large colas with maybe a few smaller buds. I'm of the school which says the more buds the merrier even if some lower ones are smaller, they all smoke very well and the debate over which is better will rage on and on. Very large colas or many many buds, the final yield is more than likely a moot point. There are way to many factors that influence final yield to stress over just one. Your doing a fine job of on the job training, no worries!
          Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 04-06-2021, 04:33 PM.

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

I have only grown 4 times last time I let er get to high and was forced to Supercrop. Nextime around I'm.gonna do the bu2b link listed in this thread.. but for this one should i leave her alone and let her grow now? Or continue with the branches. I guess my main question is if I continue what I'm doing and then flip am I going to get lower growth budwise from those 8 mains? Where the calaxes are in the area of the cut off branches? Or will.it now only bud near the top. Sorry I feel stupid for asking. I think I know but maybe I don't?

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't feel stupid you are far from it. Your attempts are like mine still learning. You will get it as long as you keep looking at those folks who know how to do it well, i do not LOL. Yes you may get tiny buds from the clip budsites. I have not done a true mainline yet. You can do this, BU2B is a very good with the illustrations. I do more stripping the branches later in flower and LST, super crop some right now do to height they are in there 2wk of 12/12. Keep up the good work and show the whole plant next time in natural light. Good Luck

• TOKABIGONE
              TOKABIGONE commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL, SoOrbudgal I just said what you said but it took me 30 min to write it!
              Seems I'm always just a little behind you. It's OK, I'd rather follow you than lead you. How many posts have you written? I'm impressed!

I like BU2B explanation above. It is just a matter of style. Most important is you have now committed yourself to whatever happens and you will have a harvest. Maybe a great one. The calaxes as you call them are actually called 'stipules' and it is possible that some might recover and produce small buds if they were not damaged when you trimmed there. Growing is an ongoing learning experience and you will know exactly what to do next time around Don't beat yourself up over what is done. Relax and enjoy the process, you will have a great harvest. Remember the only stupid question might be the one you didn't ask, OK? There are no 'experts' just folks who are constantly learning.

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              I just like discussing weed or watching and reading. @TOKEABIGONE i been around awhile

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X