First time grower needing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time grower needing advice

Hey all, never grown bud so just need a bit of advice before I start in this awesome adventure!

I am currently looking at buying the Mars Hydro Ts1000 led lamp, would this be suitable for all stages of plant growth, from a seedling to flowering? It will only be for personal use so not looking to pull pounds from flowers but just enough to keep me going!

Sorry if this has been covered but thanks for viewing!
    Current Grow:
    Mars Hydro 2x2x4 tent
    Mars Hydro Ts1000 LED light
    Two 5 gallon fabric pots planted with Northern Lights XXL autos from 00 seeds
    Growing medium is Bio Bizz soil premixed with perlite
    First ever grow

HI Freeman. Welcome to GWE.

The subject of lights has been extensively covered here and on many other forums. Choosing which light to use is dependent on how big of a space you plan to use it in. Almost any light can be used for seedling, veg and flower.
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

Thank you YYCanabis, plan on using the Ts1000 in a 70x70 tent. This should be sufficient enough shouldn't it? And thank you for the reply
      Current Grow:
      Mars Hydro 2x2x4 tent
      First ever grow

Comment

Well....if you mean 70cm x 70cm you’re fine.
        If you mean 70 inches x 70 inches...you will need more light.

Comment

Does that light draw 100watts from the wall? If it's your only one light needs 1photo plant right under the lamp. Of course using the proper distance as the plant grows. But like YYCannabis is saying sometimes large tent and small lamp may not be enough light. May work in a 3x3 or 2x2 better?
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Independent grow light testing & reviews. Science based articles & tools to help evaluate & compare grow lights for cannabis. Test reports & Discount Codes.

The above link has a lot of great info

Comment

• YYCannabis
              YYCannabis commented
              Editing a comment
              That link should be pinned at the top of the GWE home page.

YYCannabis Yes 70cm. 2 x 2 tent is what it'll be used in
            ​​​
            SoOrbudgal The site says power draw is 150watts give or take. So it's best just to go one plant in a 2x2 tent with this light mate?

RetiredGuy that site link is very useful so thank you for that!
            Current Grow:
            Mars Hydro 2x2x4 tent
            First ever grow

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              OK good to know just account for size of plant you want to grow i still would only do 1 good size photo in a 3-5gal. fabric pot or 2 autos in 3gal ea. My 2 cents. Don't go big first time take you time we will help you F it up LOL just kidding OMG sorry. But seriously just don't have big expectations first couple of grows we'll help and good luck to you Peace

Cheers for that SoOrbudgal. Yeah was thinking of going auto to begin with. And haha sorted for that then, as long as there will be enough to smoke if everything goes to plan then we are on to a winner đŸ€Ł
            Current Grow:
            Mars Hydro 2x2x4 tent
            First ever grow

Comment

Best thing to do starting out is to goto the actual GWE site, find one of nebulas grow tutorials for beginners, find a setup in your price range, order everything on the list and follow her tutorial step by step from sprout to harvest. She even breaks it down to show how much electricity you can expect to spend per month and how much yield you can get.

Comment

bboyfromwayback Yeah that was essentially the plan tbf mate. Just wanted to see if the lamp was up to a good standard before buying it 😊
                Current Grow:
                Mars Hydro 2x2x4 tent
                First ever grow

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
                  bboyfromwayback commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Full spectrum LED’s can be used from sprout through harvest, that’s what’s great about them. Getting the correct size light for your tent and needs is crucial though. Those tutorials will have recommended lights for each size setup and won’t steer you wrong. The footprint size the manufacturers tell you are always larger than the actual footprint in reality. Keep that in mind as well as it’s about actual wattage. The comparison to HPS wattage is bs

Oh okay, I see what you are saying! Thank you for that then mate
                Current Grow:
                Mars Hydro 2x2x4 tent
                First ever grow

Comment

General rule of thumb is 30 watts per square foot. So if it’s pulling 150w from the wall, then you are well situated for a 2’x2’ space. 👍

Comment

Thank you for that YYCannabis
                    Current Grow:
                    Mars Hydro 2x2x4 tent
                    First ever grow

Comment

As someone who’s finishing their first grow let me wish you good luck it is a fun very rewarding experience and thanks to this community anyone can grow good smoke some things I’ve learned is don’t get comfortable by which I mean don’t get complacent and stop looking for things like mold and hermies just because you’ve been looking for a month and haven’t seen anything top a couple times too topping is by far the easiest way I’ve found to increase yield all you do is cut off the tip of the main stem the “growth node” thing do this a couple times and instead of one massive cola you get 4-8 massive colas you’d think you’d get 2 colas half the size of the original but it doesn’t work like that and don’t make the mistake I made and top it like 5 times you’ll end up with an unmanageable mass of colas also another really big regret is I didn’t keep a journal next time I plan to document every change so I can look back and more easily diagnose a current problem oh and whatever you do don’t flush early based off the seed companies flowering time those numbers are for pros amateurs like us can take weeks longer to finish these are just some of the mistakes I made that I hope you don’t good luck buddy

ps oh one more thing don’t neglect your micronutrients they’re deceptively important and always always ph test every batch of water or food you give your plants no matter how reliable you think your water source is cities treat their water at certain times and if you use a well like me droughts and heavy rains can influence the ph a bit
                      Last edited by TheKieftan; 03-17-2021, 02:11 PM. Reason: Added the part about micronutrients and ph testing

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X