No announcement yet.

VOTE - What do you use to dry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper bags and refrigerator, Lotus slow dry.
    Learned a lot this year. pH and whiteflies are issues that need controlling. Maybe an auto over January.....hmmmm...

Comment

Yo, since you all seem to be wet trimming to dry, I'm just wondering if anyone ever just chops plant at bottom of stem and hangs to dry whole??

I've always previously trimmed wet too, which was cool, though last mini grow i tried whole hanging and was impressed - only trouble was cause was over Christmas, it got dipped into early plus my housemate kept whacking heating up lol, tho even after 6 day dry and 10 days in jars, it tasted amazing and could definitely tell alot more was there to come out if properly done. Only thing i didn't like was dry trimming i found it's hard to stop unwanted bits dropping into the shake pile. I want to try it again this time though and see how proper dry and cure works with it.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        Wet trimming is much easier and your buds will be prettier but not as tasty. Another member on this site, 9fingerleaves, posted how he cures a while back, zero trimming, leaves snd all. I tried it last harvest, produced the dankest smelling most flavorful bud I’ve ever grown. Trying it again this round. If it’s successful again I’ll be investing in a few 5 gallon buckets with gamma seals to cure in.

• MrPNW
        MrPNW commented
        Editing a comment
        @bboyfromwayback
        So you’re saying he did no trimming whatsoever, chopped the plant at the stalk to hand and dry, then put it whole into a seal bucket to cure? I’m assuming it eventually was cut up and put into small jars. I’ve got some white 30 gallon food-grade barrels with screw on gasket sealed lids.

• bboyfromwayback
        Editing a comment
        I cut the colas down into sections 6-7” long to fit but no trimming until after curing. It takes 4-5 64oz jars for me to do a whole plant this way but you can fit a plant into a 5 gallon bucket. Smells rotten for about 3wks then it’ll start to smell dank af. The last harvest, once cured, I trimmed enough to fill two 32oz jars to smoke then turned the rest into butter so I didn’t even trim it.

Trim in the pot, dry in the pot, smoke pot.

Comment

• MrPNW
        MrPNW commented
        Editing a comment
        When do you water last before trimming? How long does it take the plant to dry out enough to go into jars?

• MrPNW
        MrPNW commented
        Editing a comment
        Don’t forget to vote again. The options have increased.

MrPNW, When I get to what I consider about a week out, I stop watering, do a final trim and hurry up and wait for a 10-15% bud moisture content, which in my house takes 14-20 days depending on how I trained the plant, Lst takes longer than topped. Tell me this MrPNW, were you pulling my leg the other day, when you referred to the Trim Bin in the second pic as a child car seat? That was a good one.

Comment

I use a tent where I can control the temperature and the humidity the whole time.

And I hang the buds off plant wire

Comment

I cut, trim and then hang from shower curtain rods in an unused bathroom, using binder clips on strings to "grip" each stem. I can get about 4-6 six foot shower rods in parallel over the shower enclosure.
          Then adjust temp and humidity to be about 65-70 degrees F and 50% humidity. Pics attached are black widow. Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackWidow.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	496317Click image for larger version

Name:	BudsCuring.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	496318 ​ ​​​​​​​
          Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
          liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

• billyboy
            billyboy commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you worry about the buds touching while they dry?

• bboyfromwayback
            Editing a comment
            That’s a pretty bud

• ZigZag
            ZigZag commented
            Editing a comment
            Usually I don't hang them so they touch, but the plants were so tall with long internodes and I was running out of room so I had to pack 8 rods into the space. The flowers dried in about 5 days and cured perfectly in 6 weeks (1 qt jars). I usually trim all the fan leaves from the colas before hanging but I got an out of town assignment call and had to leave the next day. Incredibly bad timing so I got them cut and hung and had a friend come by each day and move the rods around to aide in air circulation. I also left the exhaust fan on which drew an almost imperceptible movement of air in and out of the room. I'll never want to do that again but sometimes you just have to improvise! Result_ nice frosty, very dense and sticky buds, supper smooth. A little luck never hurts!

The rack works well. Fit my 3 plants on 2 racks. Definitely will be getting another it was a tight fit.

Last edited by MrPNW; 03-08-2021, 02:09 AM.

Equipment
          5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
          ———————————————————————————————————-
          1st Grow
          Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
          Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
          Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

1. I’ve added many new voting option based on to the many comments.
            2. I’ve added multiple choices since many use combinations.
            3. I removed the original “Other” choice so those who voted for that, please see if your way is now listed and vote again.

Equipment
            1st Grow
            Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

I bought the “delicate clothes” drying rack. They are really nice but the one thing I found cumbersome was the large ring that connects to both ends of the clips. This ring is rather secure but if the clips were able to be moved around (too balance the rack) or taken off if not used (too close to another clip, large buds) that would help.
              i just came across these and it gave me an idea to replace those large rings with something similar.

You can see the large rings here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	88C4E97C-B164-4A7A-BDD9-7184649F666D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	172.5 KB ID:	497347

Possible solution is something similar to the S-shaped hooks on these.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D585A65D-18EC-40C4-9303-A6FFCE406C78.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	37.0 KB ID:	497345

Equipment
              1st Grow

Comment

• Poppa
                Poppa commented
                Editing a comment
                If I was going to replace them I would go with same design just smaller diameter over using a hook that leaves the possibility of being bumped and becoming unhooked. Basically just small key rings.

• MrPNW
                MrPNW commented
                Editing a comment
                Good point and I even thought about undoing it so only one of the levers was hooked to the ring. The ring kind of gets in the way with both levers connected. I kept having to fumble around them when trying to squeeze the levers together.

Maybe a small version clasp like are on the rope hangers we use to hang lights and things.

• Poppa
                Poppa commented
                Editing a comment
                I have also noticed over last couple of harvests some times I have to turn or reposition how clip grips the stem to keep them from touching but over all I love these racks. I had 1 clip last harvest the ring only went through 1 side of clip it didn't hang quite right and I ended up putting it through both, so I suggest you try having it through one before spending time switching them all. The ability to move it where ever ya want over having strings strung around the basement. Having it hanging within reach while harvesting over having to get up and walk to where ever the string is strung. Bonus for me I was able to use a few tapcons in basement wall and they hang just outside the grow room out of the way when not in use.

Nice for the new generation who want it. For those who have a limited budget who see this........hemp jute twine works and has alot more uses.
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• MrPNW
                MrPNW commented
                Editing a comment
                I still have my roll of that “hairy” twine in my shop for when I don’t want things slipping along it like smooth nylon cord. Good stuff for construction jobs.

I have twine listed in the String Them Up option. Be sure to vote for that.
                Last edited by MrPNW; 03-09-2021, 03:54 PM.

....Turns out I had one of those hanging racks bangin’ round the house, so I though Id give it a try. Seems to be good for a modest haul.
              My girls were a bit ugly, but they made it this far, so not too bad for a first try, I think
              KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
              Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
              Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
              Maybe some compost teas
              Blumat watering system
              Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
              3x4x6’ tent
              Photontek 465wpro
              6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
              Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

• MrPNW
                MrPNW commented
                Editing a comment
                Boy are those some bushy girls. They make the racks in all sizes. Mine were 21 clamps I thing but it also came in 56.
                Those clips on yours that hold the clamps to the frame reminded me of something similar we used for our grocery store aprons (no tying in back, just a row of clips). I think they were inexpensive curtain rod hangers. Those would work nicely and give more rooms at top for the stalk.

• Smallgrow
                Smallgrow commented
                Editing a comment
                Ya they went crazy foxtail on me , we had some heat problems amongst other issues along the way. On to the next cycle, while I try to let them cure long enough without sampling

Is anyone able to vote on this survey now?

For some reason it appear stuck in the see results mode for me, the Back to Poll button is gone. I did not set a time on this survey, it should still be active.

I used to see it like this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7CA57C8A-34D4-45C0-8507-8FED8DC08E73.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	497700

then would have this button to get back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ADDF233A-D35E-4747-9AC8-FCC80A0E9F21.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	497699
              Last edited by MrPNW; 03-10-2021, 03:43 PM.

Equipment
              1st Grow

Comment

• Bowhunterwoody
                Bowhunterwoody commented
                Editing a comment
                Nope it's not there any more.

• Bowhunterwoody
                Bowhunterwoody commented
                Editing a comment
                Thought it was because I had already voted.

• MrPNW
                MrPNW commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe that’s it. I hadn’t voted until well into the voting and after I received my hangers.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X