Plant collapsed on flowering stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Plant collapsed on flowering stage

Hello and welcome on my first topic on this forum.
    So, as you can tell from my nickname, I just started my adventure with hydroponic weed growing, but, my first quest (plant) failed miserable

So, I bought PlantIT Gemini dripper (http://www.plantit-growit.com/product/gemini/), Advanced Hydroponics of Holland nutrients trio (grow, bloom and micro - https://advancedhydro.com/products), ph up and ph down also from advanced hydroponics of Holland, ph tester, 2 led bulbs (uniwersal - 3x5W) and a 60day grapefruit auto seed.

It ain't much (no growbox, special AC or air stone for water) but i really hoped that it will suffice for at least starting my adventure.

It's almost always somewhere near 21°C.

So I started in second week of January. First waiting for seed to grow first root, then I planted it in Gemini system (with medium that was provided with system), almost full container of water with nutrients (I took amount of nutrients from labels on nutrients bottles) with water pump working 24/7 and with 24/7 lights on.

And, tbh, it was looking pretty good except last 2 weeks. I was changing water between once per 1-1,5 week, tried to keep PH level near 6 (always between 5,5 and 6,5). Plant seems to growing strong and happy.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210125_211112.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.32 MB ID:	492909Click image for larger version  Name:	20210203_190553.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.78 MB ID:	492910

But, 2 weeks ago, I saw that is starts growing buds, (or i thought so), but, at the same time, some leaves at the bottom started to changing color to yellow, and after few days, they started to get dry/crispy and brown.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210215_115904.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	492912Click image for larger version  Name:	20210215_115859.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	492914Click image for larger version  Name:	20210221_214151.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.91 MB ID:	492916

I switches from 24h light to 12h/12h, but water still stayed 24/7. And right now it's completely disaster, so I stopped, and got it out to check what exactly happened.

And this is how it looks ​​​​​​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210223_005730.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	492918Click image for larger version  Name:	20210223_005738.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.85 MB ID:	492920
    I don't know what to think about main root. It is mostly white (good?) but near the point of connecting to the plant it looks soggy? Ehh, idk...

So I started to throwing out the medium it was growing, and on the bottom of it I found this:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210223_010715.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	492922
    Kinda gross? But is was in water all the time (which i don't know if it's good or bad :/ - only bottom part of.medium was under water, so, plant could easily grow roots above water level).

Also, on plastic water pipes was this slimy thing?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210223_010223.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	492924Click image for larger version  Name:	20210223_010206.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	492926
    Tbh I thought it was normal because of all the nutrients. But now I dont know.

Anybody can point me what I did wrong? (like maybe water don't suppose to flow 24/7 and i suppose to make some breaks or maybe it's because i don't have growbox, so sometimes normal house lighting was interrupting plant growing).

Im gonna get EC tester, to actually measure nutrients level in water, but I'm not sure, that was a problem :/

For next seed, I was thinking about maybe something bigger and not AUTO type, so I could decide when it should be flowering
    Attached Files

Hey OP, so to clarify you don’t have an air stone / pump in your system? I know for hydroponics having this item is essential for your plants to receive oxygen and keep the water agitated for proper nutrient uptake. It looks like you plants did suffer from some deficiencies that may have led to other problems such as not being able to receive light properly.

Comment

• hydronoob
      hydronoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, there is only water pump that pump water on top of the medium. There is no air pump with air stone that would oxygenate water, but I thought, as the water travel between medium (1/2 cm diameter clay rocks) it would actually oxygenate between this rocks. But ye, I will search info about this system and probably will end buying air pump with stone to be 100% sure water is oxygenated

I’m not familiar with that system, but something wasn’t right. That slime...not good at all...it should never exist in a healthy reservoir.
    Secondly, the root stem being mushy near the top....trunk rot...usually from over watering right at the main stem of the plant.

I’m thinking that pump wasn’t meant to be on 24h/day, or there should have been a larger ring to keep the water away from the trunk.

I’m curious as to how much that Gemini setup cost you?
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• hydronoob
      hydronoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I paid for it somewhere about 80$ (only system, not counting nutrients and lights). I got it because it was quite compact - i don't have much room in the apartment, and having whole system in one easy to move package actually made me buy it.

About slime, below someone suggested hydroguard. It would be definitely good practice to secure whole reservoir. I will buy it and use it in next plant
      Last edited by hydronoob; 02-23-2021, 06:34 AM.

Most of us hydro growers build our own setups just because of cost. You can spend big coin and not get the results you were looking for buying those manufactured ones. I can't believe they didn't include an airstone and pump or at least strongly suggest you add one. If building your own isn't for you, you could try growing in coco like about half of the folks on this forum. Coco is easy and a bit more forgiving and much cheaper to start than hydro and I like it for side projects that need to remain portable.
    Coconut Grove
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
    32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
    Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      According to the marketing, the continuous top feed system oxygenates the water a it flows through the hydroton. The design is probably suppose to help keep the reservoir stirred-up since the water pump is build into the reservoir. I would think the pump being part of the unit also contributes to warming the water and causes bacteria issues.

• UndergroundFarmer
      UndergroundFarmer commented
      Editing a comment
      When I used to do hydro in a tote, I had the pump at the bottom with a venturi fitting to aerate the nute solution. I didn't have root rot problems as long as I kept the light out. The only big downside was of course the roots getting pulled into the pump.

You got either boytitris, pythium or fusarium, they all atack roots. I use trichoderma in coco but i think hydroguard its made for reservoirs

Comment

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      Or all of them

• hydronoob
      hydronoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I completely ignored threat from bacteria etc. and it probably got me. I will buy hydroguard and will try with next plant.

Thanks guys all for suggestions.

I will for sure:
    • Buy hydroguard and research more about threats from bacteria/fungus in hydroponics
    • Research more about this gemini system itself. Things about water pump running 24/7 or if it does need an air pump (I will probably buy it either way)

If I won't be able to tame this whole gemini system (I paid for it somewhere about 80$ - couse you guys were curious) I will probably sell it or just leave it and build something on my own.

Ofc if you guys have more suggestions, I will be more than happy to learn more from you

Comment

I’m just started my own grow. Made my reservoir from a $10 tote. According to my research (don’t have these guys experience), air stones and pump are a must. Your medium should not touch the water. The pump will feed the small guys till the roots get in the water. Pretty sure you don’t need the pump once the roots get in the water.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X