Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recognising progress against spider mites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recognising progress against spider mites?

Hello friends,
    Unfortunately my plants have fallen victim to an infestation of spider mites. Luckily I recognised it quite early and started a treatment of neem oil, spinosad and acaricide (one at a time with a week in between). Obviously I know that the white spots on my leaves (the only mite-sign, no webs or drying-out leaves yet) will not recover that quickly even if the pest is gone, so is there any way to recognise if I‘m making any progress against them? I’ve heard ‚if it doesn’t get worse, it’s good’ but I’m a bit sceptical. How do I know I got rid of them for good?
    Thanks for any reply, I‘d appreciate hearing about your experiences!

Grow details:
    Growing white widow plants in soil with LEDs
    Late vegetative stage at 16 weeks
    Nutrients: Flora Tripart plus magnesium

Don't use neem oil during flowering, did that on my buds and I almost end up at the hospital. A lot of my grower friends here will agreed.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• FlyingHedgehog
      FlyingHedgehog commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it, i’ve read this before. Thankfully I’m still at vegetative and don’t plan to switch until the pest is well and truly over! Thx for the reply

If you inspect the fan leaves closely on the underside and make sure you don't see any mites, eggs or webs then they are gone. keep a fan gently blowing on the plants...spider mites don't like the breeze. they also don't like lots of water (just humidity). spraying the plant with a garden sprayer filled with warm water can deter the little bastards as well.
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

• FlyingHedgehog
      FlyingHedgehog commented
      Editing a comment
      Great! Thanks for the reply, this is quite reassuring. Heard about the breeze and humidity before and am giving my best to effectuate it!

I had great luck with the "Grow Safe" product. Kills on contact and after several applications, three days apart, they have not reappeared. Nasty little buggers!

Get a loupe magnifier & really inspect your leaves on a regular basis to see how you're doing.
    My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
    I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
    Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• FlyingHedgehog
      FlyingHedgehog commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tipp, I have indeed read good reviews about those products but unfortunately they are not available where I live! If nothing else works i’ll consider contacting some friends in amazon-compatible countries

Dont wait 7 days, you are already re-infested by then (the eggs left hatch and make more eggs), no longer than 3 days. BTW ISO and water are as effective as those sprays you have used, and most likely safer. Neem is known to cause some folks issues, and spinosad is being banned in many places for use on MJ. Rosemary oil is said to explode the eggs, but I dont want that flavor on my weed either.

Comment

• FlyingHedgehog
      FlyingHedgehog commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm I’ve read that acaricide, which I gave first, impedes reproduction and hatching, and than a later treatment of neem and spinosad will kill the remaining ones… also the instructions underline that more often than once a week can be harmful. I think this might be why many people had issues with the product. But thanks for your opinion, I’ll consider my next move! Really dumb question, what is ISO?

• grouchyoldman
      grouchyoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Rwise is the authority on this approach, but I don't think he'll mind this clarification: ISO = Isopropyl alcohol, the 95% version mixed 50/50 with water then sprayed on your plants, top and bottom when your lights are ready to go off. If you do this with the lights on you may have severe light burn on leaves and buds!

• FlyingHedgehog
      FlyingHedgehog commented
      Editing a comment
      Great! Thanks a lot

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X