looking for the long lost Skunk strain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for the long lost Skunk strain.

Back in the 80's there was an amazing skunk strain. Some of you "old timers" like myself , may remember what I am talking about. The strain was amazing. You could smell it through two bags , double wrapped in a different room in your house . Pure skunk ass. Over time, breeders opted to cross this strain with other less pungent strains to avoid heat from the law. Now people claim their strains are crossed with skunk # 1 or whatever version of skunk lineage they can come up with. Sensi Seeds has a half assed skunk strain that is worthy of growing, but not the real deal. I am looking for the most pungent skunk strain out there. I want the old school strain that smells like a dead skunk. I know someone had enough grey matter to hold onto the old original skunk strain. I also know this strain will not be available online from Herbies , or any other company like them. It has to be an underground source. Has anyone come across what I am looking for? Hate to say this, but I would prefer the source to come from within the USA.

Kevin Jodrey was supposedly close a few years back but I have yet to see or hear of the old school skunk being readily available. Yet...

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats what i was going to Say, no one is more obsessed than him

Oh Gawd i can remember having to go a mile off into the woods to smoke Old Skunky....And then spend an hour walking home so the stank could fade from my clothes. I honestly only had a small handful of times where i could get stoned and sit on a couch to chill. Most of my high school “highs” were “burned out” while walking around the neighborhood. 😂
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

It's the Holy Grail for many of us. Somewhere out there, in someone's garage, behind the Christmas decorations, is an old shoeshine tin with the sacred seeds.

Comment

There’s this...Is Canadian close enough to America?
        As the story goes, Original Skunk #1 was the first true stabilized hybrid. Sacred Seeds created this in the late 1970s by crossing an Afghani Indica (Acapulco Gold) with a Mexican and Colombian Gold Sativa. Our feminized Original Skunk #1 is easy to grow and can be considered a standard to measure other grows against. You can expect an impressive yield of up to 700 g\/m2 in as little as 8-9 weeks. Thanks to her high bud-to-leaf ratio, feminized Original Skunk #1 is easy to trim. Cannabis enthusiasts consider her as a perfect balance of sativa effects with indica characteristics. With THC levels between 19-22%, this balanced hybrid is very easy to grow. Skunk #1 has been widely used as a breeding parent for most of today’s leading \
        There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
        1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
        2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
        3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

I have a dozen or so seeds that are marked skunk that are quite old. I personally never remember getting seeds in bags of 80s skunk, this came from a friend who asked if I wanted it. When we were lucky enough to find skunk in the 80s, it was 3 times the price of Mexican brick weed. But lasted way longer. I remember the dry mouth was bad, and the stone was deep
        I bet Bob Marley's mansion
        has a garden in the back
        Where he's growing something special
        Some celestial homemade hash
        we'll sit down on his front porch
        And listen to the angels band
        Until then I'll sing I'll fly away with a fat onefin my hand

Comment

I personally think it’s a hype. I’m 28 yo so I wasn’t alive during the 70-80s. But just like with food, music, and everything we love about life we all grow up using what we know as reference. Hence everyone is convinced what they lived was as great as their memory recalls. And no wonder if we are all limited by our time and place.

So just genetically speaking all the skunk DNA is out there. Landraces from Colombia Mexico India Brasil Afganistán etc. We know understand genetics to the point that such a famous and coveted strain can be created again. So maybe, just maybe, nothing will ever compare to the feeling of that dank ilegal narcotic skunk of being in your 20s and enjoying life in a less “complicated” world. No matter how skunky the skunk is today. It’s like the orange sunshine acid. You can get pure lsd from a lab and still feel like the acid being distributed in the street with extra love and understanding was way better in San Francisco during the acid wave. Just the opinion from an outsider

Comment

• JohnEmad
            JohnEmad commented
            Editing a comment
            perhaps you are right 9fingerleafs although I remember lsd trips from the 70's being pretty wild and then after not partaking for almost 40 years was given some LSD from a modern lab and it was a 14 hr trip with very wild hallucinations and thoughts. I now think the modern is better. Probably more concentrated or pure now.

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            yeah and that hapens with weed too, there are some flavors and smells that didnt exist back then and lets not get into the potency, but people is looking for something that takes them back in time and i do hope they find it, those smells are out there, somewhere. im pretty sure thats the kind of stuff thats waiting in a drawer for the IP debate on cannabis genetics to be resolved.

• Woodsman67
            Woodsman67 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nostalgia is never hype if its your memories. Its hard to relate to something you never lived. In the late 70s and early 80s everything was either chocolate brown looking crap or spicey-herbal smelling, depending in how it was smuggled in to the Midwest. It wasn't until my group of friends made a California connection and the Skunk hit the air. It started a basic mini revolution in our little rural area, and Ozark Gold was born. Nostalgia, nah Guerilla Grower History more like it 🙂

I have one strain that smells skunky, it is amnesia lemon....one pheno does smell like skunk. I would suggest pheno hunting through strains that are "skunk", some of them do have that stinky going on.

Comment

I too remember and want the old school skunk, so far nothing I have seen comes anywhere close, maybe a faint background smell/taste.
            I am working on a few seed projects, one I have going now caries the nick name "mother of skunk", make some fem seed and then cross it with Tajikastani Hash Plant (have to get the seed for this yet). This run will also have a Greasy Grapes and a Mindocino Purp x T1000, maybe some purple stinkies.

Comment

Yeah well......smoking. Remembering smoking. Best smoke ever ? Shit I grew the best pot I ever had. I been smoking pot since 1966. Since 1976 I smoked it mostly every day. Mostly Mexican brick weed. $200 per quarter. Pound that is. Back in 1973 or so there was some weed that was called Columbian but shoot who knows we were all outlaws. Until two years ago I was an outlaw. But like old Willie said "after taking several readings I'm surprised to find my mind still fairly sound". I'm growing one now called Cheese originated in the UK's underground cannabis scene where it was derived from a particularly pungent Skunk #1 phenotype. Its just a seedling about 3 weeks old. Just topped her yesterday at 5 th node. The seed description says it could get 9 feet tall so I wanted to get that in. Anyhow still trying for that one I smoked just after Thanksgiving 1966. I have no idea what it was called but I got off the bed and my feet didn't hit the ground for about 4 hrs during which time I ate about half a dozen turkey sandwiches. I'll let you know when it starts stinking up the place. Ok. Grow with love brothers and sisters. You'll get it back !!
              Focus and relativity.

Comment

• Woodsman67
                Woodsman67 commented
                Editing a comment
                We called the brown brick weed columbian back in the day. It was almost always more seed and stem than anything and I don't remember ever seeing trichromes on it. Id love to have some of that seed today. The flower it grew looked nothing like the baggie flower.

Please almighty Lord, bring back the triple bagged raunchy skunk of yesteryear!!! The kind of shit you smell pulling in the driveway...The Terps dreams are made of...
              4x8x8 indoor
              Viparspectra VA1200
              (2) GE 4' Flowering LED bars FF trio/Tiger Bloom/Happy Frog soil
              Intake fan/exhaust w 4" scrubber
              Alot of empty pickle jars and Led Zepp on repeat...

Peace, Love & Happy Harvesting

Comment

• Eliot Pryor
                Eliot Pryor commented
                Editing a comment
                I can smell the pot growing in my garage when I pull in the driveway. Thanks to the commercial we've all heard of "nose blind". That's how I am in my house.

I've got a Skunk #1 grow going. I'm growing out both male and female in the same tent for seed and to see if that seedy bud matches what I remember as Skunk back in the day.
              Coconut Grove
              4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
              4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
              32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
              Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• Ace1973
                Ace1973 commented
                Editing a comment
                that is what I mean by pheno hunting, and the more seeds the better your chance4s of getting that roadside smell.

• Wolfe0420
                Wolfe0420 commented
                Editing a comment
                Once you find that perfect Pheno you need to stabilize the genetics. Clone it and use colloidal silver on one plant at the bud sites to turn it male (I’ve done this it works) and those seeds are feminized since 2 female can’t make a male.

• UndergroundFarmer
                UndergroundFarmer commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll be looking for a particularly good one for a mom. If I don't get one this batch, I'll still have four more seeds from Sensi plus what I hope to be a jarful of homemade ones. If the skunk of legend really is hiding in those seeds, I'll find it eventually.

Skunk#1 Strain is an iconic strain made from the fusion of Afghani, Acapulco Gold, and Colombian Gold and is celebrated for its remarkable genetics.

This strain is known to be as game-changers of those legends from their own lifetime. Skunk #1 is a cannabis innovator. It is from a fusion of various landrace breeding that comes from America, Thailand, and Afghanistan. The authentic Skunk #1 was born. Even in the modern-day, this strain is still the benchmark of standard marijuana.

Comment

I am no expert on Skunk but this might be what you are looking for.
                AG seeds is US only so I am out of luck but have a look.
                Last edited by JohnEmad; 12-18-2020, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the links everyone. In my best Elmer Fudd voice , "a hunting we will go"....👍 So many varieties, so little time!!
                  4x8x8 indoor
                  Viparspectra VA1200
                  (2) GE 4' Flowering LED bars FF trio/Tiger Bloom/Happy Frog soil
                  Intake fan/exhaust w 4" scrubber
                  Alot of empty pickle jars and Led Zepp on repeat...

Peace, Love & Happy Harvesting

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X