Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Trichomes are Whispering, But What Are They Saying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bboyfromwayback
    commented on 's reply
    I only remove the big fan leaves when it’s dry like this. My basement is currently under 40% rh. Once the sugar leaves are good and crispy, hopefully 4-5 days, I’ll finish trimming. It’s more difficult but slows the process down a bit. I also use a CannaBrush, it helps a lot

• grouchyoldman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ace1973 View Post
    So I discussed this once with a friend, he said it changes the high and causes a cbd effect. I still say it is oxidation of the trichomes, in other words, the trichomes are degrading. I still get an argument over this, just my two cents on the subject, as I always harvest by the pistils and trichs, red pistils, white not clear, trichs, anyways, I think it is relevant to the high you get from it.
    I tend to agree Ace1973 , my plant was clearly just DONE, and it did look, to me anyways, that pretty much every trich went yellow-ish all at once; the ones that were pure white looked like pissed-on snow, those already yellow went bourbon brown, the ones that were already brown went dark amber. Whether that was oxidation, degradation or whatever, it was quick and recognizable (at least with a 10x or higher loupe).

Going all the way back to the Frenchie Cannoli article, what bboyfromwayback and I saw sounded a lot like what he described as the peak THC production, BEFORE it started degrading. If that is true, BBBoy and I are gonna have some *interesting* smoke if it's properly dried and cured.

I could use some advice on slowing down a dry in very low humidity. Anybody use Tubs for a slow dry? I should prolly just cave and buy a humidifier...
    Last edited by grouchyoldman; 12-21-2020, 04:49 PM. Reason: typos, erudition, general hazy thinking and organization... ye Gads!

Leave a comment:

• grouchyoldman
    commented on 's reply
    Care to share your favorite pH bowel balancer SoOrbudgal? ;->

-Grouchy

• Ace1973
    replied
    So I discussed this once with a friend, he said it changes the high and causes a cbd effect. I still say it is oxidation of the trichomes, in other words, the trichomes are degrading. I still get an argument over this, just my two cents on the subject, as I always harvest by the pistils and trichs, red pistils, white not clear, trichs, anyways, I think it is relevant to the high you get from it.

Leave a comment:

• Mlevy420
    replied
    Great pics from everyone. Helps me to visually see compared to my gig. Im think more time 1-2 weeks. Ugg this waiting shit is for the buds, not birds!!!

Leave a comment:

• SoOrbudgal
    replied
    Why yes could use a Ph balance in the bowels LOL damn it OK now i get what your saying

Leave a comment:

• bboyfromwayback
    commented on 's reply
    My plant had a big change overnight as well. Like you, this is the longest I’ve ever let one go. Hopefully we’ll have some good smoke to reward our patience 😉

• bboyfromwayback
    commented on 's reply
    Lol SoOrbudgal I can’t keep baby in the closet that long!!! I only meant I’ll test her once she’s dried and cured a few weeks

• YYCannabis
    commented on 's reply
    @soorbudgal...sounds like you’re in nute lock 😂 Do you need a pH water flush?

• grouchyoldman
    replied
    White Widow Goin Dark

Well, this experiment is all over except the smokin!

The day before yesterday I noticed that at least half of the trichomes on most of the branches had turned yellow/brown virtually overnight. That was my signal to turn off the lights and prepare for harvest. I did end up considering the more holistic approach suggested above and all the signs were right; the buds were tight and plump, the leaves had pretty much given all they had to give, there was hardly a white pistil to be found and, well, she was just plain ready. So I harvested this morning, week 11, day 6 of flowering.

The humidity here is really low right now, 36% RH, so I'm doing what I can to slow down the drying process. That includes hanging the entire plant to dry rather than separating the branches. I don't have a humidifier, so I improvised with a wet towel hung over the floor fan. That seems to be working slowly, we're up to 45% RH this afternoon. I did snip the fan leaves so they don't make the trim any harder than needs be.

This is the longest I've ever waited so it's a genuine Late Harvest with plenty of amber. In a few weeks, after drying & a bit of cure, we'll see if it was worth it.

Merry Christmasssss, and thanks to everyone who contributed.

-Grouchy

Leave a comment:

• SoOrbudgal
    commented on 's reply
    So are you placing the whole plant and pot into a dark area for 30days is this what you mean? Sorry i'm a tad slow on the uptake.

• JohnEmad
    commented on 's reply
    looks great.

• bboyfromwayback
    replied
    Going into the closet once the lights go off. In about a month I’ll see what high grade has to say between 20% amber and 50%. She may be even more than 50 by the time I harvest. Drastic change overnight.

Added the pic from the first plant for comparison. I hadn’t learned the scope up to the phone trick yet when I took it but the tris were roughly 20%. This is when I’ve always harvested
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bboyfromwayback; 12-20-2020, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Farmbuck
    commented on 's reply
    A very good choice my dear grouchyoldman, a nice blend of Grenache & Mouvèdre. Wife and I are thinking of a Barolo for Xmas.

We were lucky to spent a few days in Avignon with some of my Frenchy friends.

Some of my best time spent in that area by going around and have free wine tasting, Lucky at the end of the day I wasn't driving lolll

• bboyfromwayback
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent pics Grouchy! That’s about where the plant I put in the dark was the other day looking through a scope. Like your plant my other one is progressing quickly. There was a big change in color between Tuesday night and Wednesday night. I’m hoping there is enough change tonight to get her into the dark so I can harvest over the weekend but I’m holding out for the 50% range regardless of how timing may effect next week for me. We have family coming to stay on Christmas Eve and I’d prefer to get her harvested snd have no lingering smells throughout the house when they arrive😂 I can control the smell during the grow but I don’t trim in my tent so the house always smells dank during a harvest.

Ps I tried the scope trick you and John mentioned and it worked so hopefully I’ll post better closeup pics prior to harvesting the next one

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X