Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to figure out what caused my lower than expected yield.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to figure out what caused my lower than expected yield.

Hi,

Getting ready to harvest my first grow and judging from the size of the buds the yield is going to be on the low size. Top buds are only golf ball size.

This was a DWC grow. I feel I did a good job of controlling pH except for once. During Week 6 of flowering the wife and I went camping. We left on Monday with the reservoir pH at 6.2. When we returned Friday the pH was at 5.1. At the time I was not concerned because the plants still looked healthy. However, looking back on it, I am now wondering if this could have contributed to my lower yield. Your opinions would be appreciated.

My grow light is a Kind XL600 with an actual power draw of 300 watts, used in a 2’x4’ area. The light has good reviews, but would love to hear if anyone has any experience with it. I know that not enough light would cause low yields.

The one mistake I made was not to trim off the lower buds that weren’t getting enough light. Maybe this is the only reason for the low yield?

you say low yield but how do you know its a low yield... is this a strain you have grow many times under the same light using your same dwc set up and nutrients

when i use to do dwc single res 5.1ph would start to start killing my plants making it strip nutrients from its self bottom up making stems turn weak and yellow . this would happen if i left it more then a day out of rage by that much. i always had better consistency running a higher ph because on the odd times it would drop. it would not get that low

many factors can come in to play with yield something as simple as hanging your light 5 inches too high can reduce yield VS your last run. if you are like 2 oz under then you have an issue or anything under 1 gram per watt of electricity used is a bad yield

im not going to say if the lights good or not but next time you buy a light don't go for a plurple light. do some research on good led grow lights

Comment

If you've not run those lights before or this strain before, it's going to remain a mystery. So many variables but sometimes it just comes down to the genetics.
      Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

GoodMorning RetiredGuy, another 100watts in your 8sq ft tent would have certainly helped , but I've always heard pretty good stuff about Kind lights. But if i was you I would certainly consider quantum boards for your next grow, if it's affordable for you, really pretty cheap compared to the Kind Lights.
        But like mentioned above said, lots of variables to consider, what strain being one of the first to consider.
        They say you need about 50watts a square foot with blurples, for decent bud.
        You can grow some fine bud with the Quantum Board lights with only about 30watts a square foot, I've personally grown some fine bud with a 100watt, HGL, in my small 2x2tent. 25watts a sq.ft.
        Good luck with whatever you do though. HappyGrowing
        Cfls for a week or two
        315lec for everything else
        Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

Thanks for your responses. If a LED light such as the Kind that I have is “full spectrum” is this still considered a “burple”?

My plan was to grow enough weed to last me a year with one grow per year. This is about 12 ounces which should be doable in a 2 x 4 space. My plan is not to start my next grow until August 2021. This grow looks like only 4-6 ounces, so there will definitely be some dispensary bud purchased to hold me over.

Probably will purchase a new light before then, just to be sure I can maximize yield.

Comment

• JDU
            JDU commented
            Editing a comment
            Blurple is the red & blue diodes that throw a "blurple" light. The next generation QBs throw a yellowish light.

I just finished putting my first dried and trimmed plant in a jar. I wonder as another first timer was the problem with your yield or with your expectations. You have 8sq ft I have 9sq ft and when I started my grow I posted that I had 2 goals, first get all three plants to harvest (I got one) second if I got more than 3-4 oz total I’d be really happy. I haven’t weighed yet but will be VERY lucky to hit half oz. I know, especially with hydro, that you can hit a pound + in your area but I think you need to dial in your setup. I’m starting my next this coming week, I know you said that you wanted one grow a year but is there a reason you can’t get another one started?

Comment

Many things factor into yields. You didn't speak on nutrients those can be a factor. I for instance added GH KoolBloom starting with the reveg grows I havested in last 3 weeks to a month. From past grows I figured it would yield around 4 ounces per tote I had 2 plants in those totes. I doubled that from those 2 grows and that is the only major change made from previous grows. You also did not speak on rather you did any topping FIM or training those help to spread the growth and very helpful when trying to fill a space. Oh and for comparison purposes I build a 2 x 3 scrog and plants can and do grow wider than the scrog in my room I'd say it would fill your tent. My best attempt to fill what I build was 4 plants in a tote I'll be harvesting on Monday. If you haven't gone to the main site and read through things that come to mind I highly recommend it. https://www.growweedeasy.com/link-gu...owing-cannabis MY DWC settup is based on this https://www.growweedeasy.com/how-sirius-grows with a few adaptations for me. Here's hoping to you clear more than you expect.

Comment

• RetiredGuy
              RetiredGuy commented
              Editing a comment
              Your buds are a lot bigger than mine, congratulations! I used the Lotus line of nutrients. The plants were always healthy, and Lotus has a lot of great reviews on their site. Therefore, I do not think it was a nutrient issue. I did read a lot about training, topped both plants twice and had a nicely filled scrog net two weeks into flowering which developed plenty of bud sites. The buds just didn’t get bigger than golf balls. I expect the light intensity and have my eye on the Mars Hydro SP 3000 for my next grow. Will also get seeds from a different company.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X