Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions re DWC nutrient replenishment and spacing using LST

Hi all, hope you're well.

Just had my account approved so this is my first post.

So I have two questions the first is around nutrient replenishment while using a DWC system. I looked at 'recipes' for making your own hydoponic nutrient mix and did a bit of research on chelated nutrients. I found that there's a few different acids that you can use as chelating agents, some are absorbed by the plant with the nutrients some essentially carry the nutrients to the plant, can't be absorbed and end up back in the reservoir.

Now the nutrient mixes might not be tailor made for cannabis but does the plant release anything back into the reservoir and is there a risk of nutrient imbalance/issues with concentration levels, and if so do you find you have to often get rid of what's in the reservoir and top it back up with fresh go juice?

Second question is what sort of spacing do people employ when using a hydroponic system combined with LST?

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,

Samson

Welcome,

I am on my first grow and was advised to use a 2 ft by 2 ft area for each plant. This worked out well and I was able to fill out my SCROG after 6 weeks from germination.

I am using lotus nutrients. I go a max of 14 days between reservoir changes. Shorter if the feeding schedule calls for a change in nutrient types (grow, bloom, boost).

Happy Growing!

Comment

Hi RetiredGuy, thanks for the response.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, had the birth of my child and my wife's recovery to contend with.

How many plants are you growing and have you any pictures?

Thanks,

Samson

Comment

Welcome, Samson.
        I've been growing in RDWC for 5 years now and I've experienced a few things along the way.
        Monitoring pH and ec will give you indicators on what the plant is doing.
        I monitor ec and use it to determine if the plant is using more water or food.
        Ultimately, the plants will tell you if they're hungry or not.
        I don't know where you're located, but on nutrients, I've used GH Flora trio, MegaCrop and currently Jacks 3-2-1.
        Jacks is a simple 3-part formula using a 5-12-26 base with all of the micronutrients, 15-0-0 calcium nitrate, and Epsom salt(mag sulfate).
        I use a technique like RetiredGuy with each tote taking a 2x2 footprint.

WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Thanks gbauto, so what does a higher ph/ec indicate vs a lower ph/ec is one indicative of food requirements etc or have I completely missed the point? Or does it depend on what levels for both?

Thanks for all the info, I've got so many more question but I'll not overload the chat, picture looks fantastic. I'm looking to set up a small legal operation primarily to cover my own costs but that's way down the line.

Comment

• gbauto
            gbauto commented
            Editing a comment
            On practically all of my hydro grows, the ph in the system remains pretty stable.
            Ec is the only thing that typically changes as the system uses water and the level drops.
            Since I've been running Jacks @ 1.6 ec, when I check the system(40gal) after a day it has drunk about 5 gallons and the ec is @1.8
            Topping off with water brings it back to my desired ec, so this year I added a 20 gal rez with a float valve to keep the solution level and ec more stable.

Ideally, when the solution levels drops the ec will not change.
            Rising or dropping ec can tell you if the plant is using more water or nutes, but I still stick by my original suggestion:
            Your plants will tell you if they are happy or not.

Here is a great document that will help you read what the plant is telling you it’s doing/needing.
          (I highly recommend keeping a printed copy of this on hand in your grow room for quick reference) 😉
          Cheers
          YYC
          Last edited by YYCannabis; 12-09-2020, 07:27 PM.
          There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
          1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
          2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
          3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• RetiredGuy
            RetiredGuy commented
            Editing a comment
            I used the same document for my first grow. To be honest, I found it a little confusing especially during times my pH was falling. Do you happen to have the notes that are referenced in the tables? Thanks

• YYCannabis
            YYCannabis commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry. It’s all I got.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X