Vacumn sealing/ long term storage questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacumn sealing/ long term storage questions

Hello All: I followed Nebulas fine tutorial on harvesting / curing..thank you. I'm satisfied my harvest is properly cured, and need to free up my Mason jars for vegetable canning. I want to vacuum seal/ store in a -10% deep freeze. Thoughts on this ?

I don't like vacuum sealers for weed. Bad experience. Crushed and squeezed out my weed so awful. My husband thought he'd help and used it on some homegrown. I nearly cried. Just don't suck the air out like it was a friggin chicken or steak. I'd rather use a tupperware or zip lock bag. Honestly i can't stand them except for food saving.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I kjnda have the same dilemma, I need many more jars
      Welcome to GWE

Comment

I don't like sealing in bags either but I've been using vacuum pack storage for many years with great results thanks to my secret weapon: the Ball-jar vacuum attachment.

This nifty gizmo attaches to any vacuum sealer with an external port and sucks the air out of a standard 32 oz Ball jar. You put the lid on the jar then the attachment on top of that. As the air is removed the lid sucks down tight so when you remove the attachment the lid is held in place by the strong vacuum. Crank the Ball jar screw ring down and you're good to go.

The Ball jar lids have a subtle dent in the center of the lid that "disappears" when there's a vacuum inside so you can ensure the sealing worked. When you open the vacu-sealed jar for use you'll hear a reassuring whoosh as the air reenters.

Back in the day I'd buy in bulk when anything decent was available, then dry & cure & store it in vacu-sealed jars. Open it a year or more later and it was as fresh and potent as ever. Nowadays I add a Bovida packet as added insurance.

Maybe everyone already knows about this solution but it wasn't mentioned yet so I wanted to weigh in.

Saludos y pesetas y mota para gustarlo!

-Grouchy

My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
        I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
        Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• grouchyoldman
          grouchyoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Informative video BR2K, thanks. I'd never heard of using a brake bleeder as a vacuum source, prolly a lot cheaper than buying a foodsaver.

• golfnrl
          golfnrl commented
          Editing a comment
          So...the vacuum seal/long-term storage comes after the cure?

• grouchyoldman
          grouchyoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          @golfnrl: absolutely! Don't even think about long term storage until complete dry & cure are done... and then some! Once you vacu seal curing stops in my experience.

I use plastic PET based 32 ounce Jars, PET is food grade, they are amber so they block the light and cheap.
        Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
        A tale of two seeds
        Batter Up Sour Deisel
        Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
        New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
        Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X