Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mothers

How do I pick the mother plants?

Strong and healthy, lots of vigor. If you have 4 females but you really really like #3, make #3 the mother and all resulting clones will share the same phenotypic expressions as the mom.

You'll also want to keep her in a larger pot, because she will spend more time in the soil. If you have the space and plant count, keeping moms is great for when you need to take dozens of clones at one time. But if you are limited on space or plant count and really only need a couple clones from the mom to start the next two plants you'll grow of that strain, I recommend abandon the mother idea and just take clones before you flower the plants. Basically clone to clone to clone.

Whether keeping a mom or going the clone to clone route, you need to keep the plant healthy. If either one suffers from bugs or pathogens, the resulting offspring will be weaker.
    Last edited by ChadWestport; 10-01-2020, 04:00 PM.

Comment

To do it right starting off you have to grow a lot of weed and have plenty of space. Being that you can buy feminized seeds or even clones now the process will be quicker but the concept is the same. When looking for moms you have to take clones from every plant you grow and veg them out while flowering the host plant. Only keep clones from the most vigorous, fast growing plants that grow with little care that produce quality bud. Any plants that give you issues get rid of and toss it’s clones. It’s a process that’s worth it if you’re willing to put in the work. Moms can be easily kept with little care and don’t take much space at all.

Comment

clone everything and then when you have the final product you can really chose which plant you want to keep, you dont have to waste those plants, take clones before flowering and youll have big plants to replace the first ones when theyre done flowering, just take how many clones you need to fill your space again before flowering of the chosen plant. if you keep cloning the new plants you dont need to keep an actual mother. just in case you need houndreds of clones then you get a big fat mother too big to flower so you can always have clones, eventually youll need new moms every few months

Comment

Pheno hunts.
          I pop beans in 1 gal coco, veg to 5 nodes, and take a cutting.
          Flip to flower and see what develops.
          After finishing flower, I look at vigor and disease resistance as well as potency/flavor to pick a keeper.
          WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X