when is too cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when is too cold

I had some extra clones I put on my deck rails end of July in Chicago. They are a long flowering sativa and I am wondering at what overnight low should I call it a day and harvest them?

1st hard frost. Unless they can go in for the night

Comment

• bowserbuds
      bowserbuds commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks

I've had a few outdoor girls get hit with temps in the 20's and they shrugged it off.
    Being in containers may not allow them to tolerate sub-freezing temps.
    The best I can suggest is to see what happens. The worst case is you have to harvest early.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Do your best to keep the root zone warm by wrapping them in dark colored material. The plant will usually pause growth at 50 degrees but when you get lower 40s or so, cell walls can burst. Not always, but sustained cold like that would be doom. If it is a long flowering sativa, you could have a little more time to go, any chance of bringing them inside to a closet? If they are truly extras, might be fun experiment to see how low they can go.

Comment

First welcome to GWE
        Last year I covered some I had outside in the ground, built a shed, added heat and lights to keep 12 hours light, and this let them finish. (all from scrap)
        If you can cover them, or bring them in when its to cold, do so.
        How bout some pics?
        How do the trics look? (clear, white, some amber) Clear will give a racy paranoid high, milky is the high THC point, amber gives couch lock.

Comment

I threw one into my tent under 12/12 today and left the other outside, the trichomes are still clear, gonna see what happens, thanks all, I'll get some pics

Comment

Glad you were able to get one out of the cold. This way you should still have a harvest and you'll also find out for next year, how low the plants can actually go before disaster strikes. Keep us updated!

Comment

If the one outside does get frosted on, go out before the sun shines on her and wash the frost off with a water hose. In general they can take 28* F for a short time.

Comment

• gman420
                gman420 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Rwise, that's good to know that they can handle temps that low. I am in a similar situation with an outdoor grow, dropping temps, and need just a little more time before harvesting. I have been covering mine at night with a tarp trying to squeeze out a little more time because I can't bring them inside.

I said the heck with it and brought them all into the tent, bugs be damned. the first picture is a plant that i brought inside 2.5 weeks ago. the 2nd pic is the ones i brought in today, the third pic is my pineapple haze seedlings. have a great day all

Comment

Nice Thanks for the update.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X