Help! Ways to stunt plant growth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Ways to stunt plant growth?

Hi! I’m a new grower and need help with a self-inflicted problem due to a lack of patience and over-eagerness. I won’t waste time with the “how,” but basically I have 2 six-week old plants (a Sour Cherry Kush and a Burmese Mimosa) that are between 18-24 inches (1 is showing very teeny tiny pre-flowers- they were kept outside w not great light so they grew slow) and I also have 5 Two-inch seedlings (an AK, a Gelato, a White Widow, a Bubble Gum and another SCK.) Normally, I would flower the two bigger girls in one tent and keep the babies in the other tent in Veg. The problem is I only have 1 grow tent and I would like to flower all 7 at once. Is there a way to slow the growth of the 2 larger plants until the 5 babies are close to the same size? They are all photoperiod and I’ve been keeping them on a 18/6. Problem is also I can’t put the big guys w the little babies or the big girls will keep growing too much…but if I keep the big girls out of the tent I’m worried they won’t get good light and will maybe start to flower, or just die from poor lighting, and also stink up my house. The 2 big ones are currently out of tent in a window seal w 3 small house plant lights to make sure they don’t switch to 12/12 as they are in the window seal getting 12/12 natural light (plus the extra 6 of artificial light now) Any suggestions? Is there a way to put them in the Veg tent and somehow maybe block some of the light so they don’t grow too much more while the babies grow rapidly and then I can flower all 7 together? Or should I just keep them out of the tent on the window seal w the three small houseplant lights? Really appreciate any help here as I’m sorta new to this. Thanks!

Comment

Can you take a small clone of each of the big ones, so that when they are rooted in 10-14 days they are equal size to the 5 that are currently 2"?

Pruning / training / topping are good methods, but you have a huge gap you are trying to reduce.

Comment

• Grundogg
        Grundogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point.. I guess I could take clones... or I could just plant more seeds and just trash these 2.. ultimately I need another tent or 2. I guess I was hoping for a simple answer to keep these 2 stable until the others catch up. Thanks for the reply

My suggestion, get another tent. I feel like it's possible to stunt them a little bit, but not enough for the others to catch up. Sounds to me like you ran into the same problem I did. I had one tent and things weren't going fast enough so I got another, and another and another. I probably could have stopped at 3 but I now have 5 to keep a constant flow of weed growing. I smoke a lot myself, plus I like to share and I make other goodies with it so I have a few more plants than most people. Anyway, the plan was to have one for veg and one for flower. 2.5 months in between was still too long so I got another for seedlings. That still wasn't good enough so I got a bigger tent for flower. Then, I decided I wanted to keep a few mothers around so I turned my seedling tent to a mother tent and got another tent for my clones. Haven't set up the last one yet but it's coming in the next few weeks when I get the next cycle into their pots. So now I have a 2x2x4' for my mothers, a 2x4x5' for my clones, (2x) 4x4x7' for veg and an 8x8x7' for flower. I guess my point in all of that is that it's all personal preference and the space you have available to use. Most people who have been growing for a while have multiple tents, just from what I've seen. If you want to get things rolling a little more smoothly, I'd suggest a separate tent.

Comment

• dphipps1020
        dphipps1020 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sometimes it's pretty rough, especially if I haven't looked at them for a few days. Takes a couple hours to water usually because I look at them while they're out of the tent. There's 24 in there now and 2 mini plants after taking 2 out last night.

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        The water thing I can relate.
        With all the outdoor plants I just had in the garden and the tent, You have to set a couple of hours off to nursing them 😁.

• Grundogg
        Grundogg commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn’t see this before.. only comments 9-11 lol. Thanks the tips. Ima play around w diff pruning techniques and see where it takes me

Another option might be to flower the 2 big girls by removing them from the tent and put them in darkness for 12h? It takes some job but I did it once with slow outdoor plants, carried them inside and locked them.up in a dark closet every evening and put them.out again in the morning.
      Indoor grow. LED, Soil. Autos.

Outdoor grow. Autos, fem's, bagseeds

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...944-grow-diary

Comment

• Grundogg
        Grundogg commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s actually a really good idea. thanks! I’m gonna try to keep pruning and lst. Question re topping: I’ve always topped, well, from the top, and earlier on. If I were to literally cut the sativa in half, basically topping to the extreme, would that present a problem? Keep in mind these 2 plants have only been outside up until the last 3 days w no time under real lights and I haven’t used any nutes. Thanks!

• swegrow
        swegrow commented
        Editing a comment
        I dont think you should top them if they have started to flower or are close. If you have enough veg time to let them recover and bounce back and then some go ahead and top.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X