For the Newbs from a Newb: A Feral 2nd Grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the Newbs from a Newb: A Feral 2nd Grow

Hello my fellow newbs. I am in the midst of the first almost-planned grow, and it's the second grow, period.
    I have tons of outdoor gardening experience and I still botched it when it came down to growing pot the first time..
    A lot of us got started during lock-down, with little or no planning. Hell, half of us were wondering if we'd find toilet paper or hand-soap again, right?
    It sounded like a good idea at the time.
    All y'all who are trying this with zero practical gardening experience will need to work twice as hard.

I collected cuttings within a week after the parent plants were determined to be female. You're really not supposed to do that but I'd read it could be done, so I did it, and the plan was to make normal clones from the first clones.
    Omg, all the clones. Tribbles, lol. I did 14; 7 of each strain, and 13 grew roots. Ah shIt!, all I needed was the genetics saved, and the baby plant tent was starting to look like Sleeping Beauty's castle.
    What to do with all these ever-loving plants? I can't leave them by the road hoping they'll be adopted where I'm at. So I tossed a bunch into their final resting places - 5 gallon pots, and left them alone on 18/6 in the bigger tent with the LEDs on VEG only.

Grow went a little feral. The soil is new and a little warm with all the earthworm and bat poo has made them happy, plus each time I up-potted, I added new soil - I fed them each time I moved them - all the way from coco pellet --> 4"--> 1gal -->5gal. They still don't want to be fed. I tried it once and they all hated it and they all let me know.
    They went beyond when they should have been topped, but these weren't supposed to be the 2nd grow. I had photo seeds from faraway exotic lands that I wanted to start, but the Universe intervened.
    I am glad they were vegging, because they didn't get much except water.
    Sometimes you don't plan, and sometimes you do, but the plan changes.

I thrashed these poor things last night. I defoliated and bent branches and apologized the whole time and told them it was for their own good. I learned tomato cages are nice it you have enough room. If you don't have enough room, they suck.
    I had a bag of leaves by the time I was finished, and some pretty sorry looking plants. Naked, leggy; bent and tied down, defeated. And two great-looking FBL auto seedlings. The tent was changed to both VEG and BLOOM lights today.
    Nine hours later, 6 in the dark and 3 in the brighter light, and look what they did.
    Almost every branch shot out new leaves as soon as I zipped the tent closed at midnight last night. You can't tell I cut any leaves off!

If you are not right on the money with every step, plants in veg will recover. It's okay to experiment. These are clones, not seedlings, so the leaves grow a little different and technically, these are not manifolded. They are a mess is what they are...a hot mess, but they have roots all the way to the bottom and margins of the 5-gal containers.
    ( I might still have enough plants to do this again without taking any more clones, lol)

Don't be afraid to trim stuff up while they veg. The plants will make more leaves as long as they veg. Know difference between a bad haircut and just a hair cut?
    9 hours.

Pay attention to what you plant your pot in, and what you put on your pot each time you make changes to its habitat.
    If you think your plant can do this without you, take your stuff to the nearest dumpster, toss it in and try stamp-collecting.

If you want to grow pot, read GWE from end to end, even the stuff you don't think you need. Especially the stuff you don't think you'll need.

Because you'll need it someday.

Peace

Looks really good AG.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Really cool post! Welcome to the growing world!

Comment

Great post AG...Just flipped the switch to 12/12 in my fourth grow. You're right, I had no practical gardening experience before I started. I discovered a whole new world. It's been a challenge but I respect this plant. And, All I have really ever thought about growing was cannabis. So its also been fun. Trimming, defoliating, picking leaves, whatever ya want to call it is a real puzzle to me. I really struggle with it but I think it is getting better. I've not tried clones but they are on the list. GWE is the best around as far as I am concerned.
        Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
        Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
        Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Great post AG. You've got yourself a nice setup there. I haven't messed around with making clones yet. Its something I'd like to learn.
          5x5 Gorilla tent
          Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
          Infinity T8 exhaust fan
          Technaflora nutes
          Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

Well done lady they look great.
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Great post by a great human! Good work e-momma

Comment

For sure a very well written post. So glad you are in this Forum AccidentalGardener
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Update 6 days post initial defoliation and binding.
              Figured all that new growth is sucking up every available nutrient. They still look short, but they are not going to stay that way. Fed half-strength nutes last night and added some bti because I noticed 2 fungus gnats stuck to my paper and we are having none of that BS. I hate bugs indoors. The pots are for me hard to move and it's not easy to get an effective DE sprinkle at this point. What is BTI, you ask? It is one of my many Plan B situations. Google is your friend.
              If it works on zee bugs, I will be more forthcoming.

Finally got to poking around in my veg tent.
              Yikes. Things really vegged in there.
              That's gonna be another post. I don't mind making mistakes if someone else besides me learns from them.
              Shoot, I don't mind making mistakes if no one except me learns from them, lol

Comment

We got rain tonight and it is my very fervent wish that it slides south and waters Oregon.

Tomorrow we're flipping the flower tent to 12/12! The FBL LSxSC showed me her stuff tonight -if I squint, lol. Should be able to see pre-flowers on both autos when I wake up in the morning
                The others are 3 (probable) Irene Apricot and a Crop Doctor -all revegged clones from the seeds I grew in my windowsill in late April. They've been vegging since they rooted in late June.
                They are not quite as unruly as they were, and it didn't take long for them to take off like crazy as soon as I bent the branches. I've cleaned them all up,taken off most of the branches that would suck resources. They are drinking a lot of water (pH'ed) but the humidity is very manageable considering what is going on outside.

Figured out re-purposing the clean, humidified filtered air emitting from the charcoal filter on my tent fan, which happens to sit outside the tent on a little table, practically in front of the door leading into the house. It's probably the cleanest air in the neighborhood. With all the windows and doors closed, the garage is the only place there is fresh air. so we're blowing it into the house.

"Wanna come over and sit by my charcoal filter?"

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You got a grow going on gal LOL. Now you know that those autos will go 20/4 or 18/6 all the way right? And those FBL well that take nutes like champs.

• AccidentalGardener
                  AccidentalGardener commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't have a way for one to flower at 18/6 and the others to go to 12/12. The scoop is the FBLs will finish at 12/12 just fine. If those others don't flip soon, I'll need a new tent by October. And we are out of pot, lol.

Feral Tent was flipped to 12/12 yesterday. I'm calling this grow The Ballroom Blitz, lol. There's a couple gals in the corner that think they're the passionate ones and no one is going to ignore them, and a lot of other shit is going on. I see defoliation in my future. There may be more in here than I can manage.

Plan B is to move the autos to my bathroom and appropriate another (better) light which I can hang in my shower from a rod. Built-in exhaust system, lol. 1-gallon pots are easy enough to move in the event I need the tub. But the four big ones are going to be a handful and I have no idea what to expect. Hopefully be able to get some fresh air into the grow area soon. With the house and garage totally closed against wildfire smoke (no fire up here-just day 13 of smoke), the humidity is building up. Had an industrial fan blowing into the tent yesterday - just left it unzipped. The exhaust system can only pull in whatever air is outside the tent. Dehumidifier went back into the tent, too.
                Between the veg tent (2x2x3) and the the bigger one (2x4x5), I figured out I need to mix four different kinds of nutrients.
                I should have mathed a bit more, lol.
                How many colas are we going to have? Should we have a contest? Like how many jelly beans are in the jar?

Plan C is to ditch one of the larger plants. Maybe I should ask my neighbor if he wants to put it next to his plant on his deck

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well i got my autos doing 12/12 so we are in the same boat with that. Man oh man those are filling out that tent but good, your gonna do great. We are pretty good not much smoke it's there just not as low more like a fog line. OMG the rain is so wonderful i don't even care ( well yes i do ) if my outdoor gets rain on the buds, heck i'll shake it off toss them under the canopy. I wish you were closer i would give you some harvested FBL which is about 2wks or so old now some even a month old cure and sister,,,,,,,it is fine

Did some final LST and strategic whacking off of fan leaves. Started flowering nute schedule on the big ones. Cut out all weird undergrowth, 3 finger leaves, and branches that were not going to amount to much. Discovering that 12 plants (6 more next door in 3 various life-stages of vegging) take a lot more work than two lucky seeds sprouted on a windowsill. Also decided I need more than a calendar.

I am looking for a grow-journal page template if anyone has a good PDF. I looked all over GWE for one, haven't Googled for one yet, figure someone in the forums might have one they like.
                I like making my notes in longhand.

This wiped-out mama needs a water-boy
                To carry my water. My nutes.
                And my notes. Lol.
                Last edited by AccidentalGardener; 09-18-2020, 10:05 PM. Reason: grammers matter :P

Comment

• golfnrl
                  golfnrl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If ya find that template would ya share? Have you figured out a better way to mix your nutes? I find it a chore to pour liquid from a quart bottle into a Tbs or tsp and don't get me started on the smaller measuring tools.

golfnrl This thing has made my life easier! We all know our way around a shot-glass somehow or another! Got it at my hydro place. I mix nutes in recycled cranberry juice bottles. They are small enough to mix small batches. My good carrying days are over. I calibrated the jugs using a regular measuring cup and masking tape to mark amounts. Now I carry the plain pH'd water in a 5-gallon bucket. The reason I need a water-boy, lol. One of these times I'm gonna go ass-over-teacup down those 4 steps.

If I can't find a template, I'll make one

Comment

Hello again. The old timers are probably bored with me, but this ain't for them. This is for you - the new grower - someone just like me who really wants to learn.
                  I will never not post before and after pics. I had another half brown grocery bag of leaves when I was done and it looks like more need to go. The recovery abilities of these plants still blow my ever-loving mind! However, this is like posting a picture of your bathroom after you clean it.
                  "You missed a spot." Lol
                  I will go after leaves again in a few weeks and then it's on!
                  Or off, if they are asleep

Comment

I keep losing my own thread, lol. I made a new one to cover the flowering part of this adventure:

This grow has gone from feral to being renamed Ballroom Blitz. If you don't know why, Spotify it ;) Here is a link to the vegging part of this adventure: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...feral-2nd-grow (https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/444910-for-the-newbs-from-a-newb-a-feral-2nd-grow) The tent

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X