Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Why do my seedlings look like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Why do my seedlings look like this?

Hey guys. I started this grow auto blue dream grow mid July using mother earthtearth coco 70/30. The two in the solo cups that are now brownish were first. They initially started off healthy and green then the leaves began to curl downwards slowly turning brown. Later July, I threw another seed into a cup but this time I thoroughly rinsed the medium and let it sit out for a day before planting the seed on the right that looks the healthiest. However, I see now it is following the same pattern with leaves turning downward.

What could possibly be going on?

Are you using any nutrients?
    And does your coco coir have the right PH levels ?
    a small cal mag supplement or not ?
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

I dont use it but did you prep the coco?

Comment

Like Cap asks, nutes and cal mag? Did you buffer coco first? Ph? All of these are important to know otherwise we have no idea. My suspicion is either ph issues or cal mag issues from non-buffered coco, that is if you are giving it low nutes already. If you dont water with cal mag before planting in non buffered coco then the plants have issues up-taking other nutrients. https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/needcalmag/

Comment

• Juicetheproducer
          Juicetheproducer commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for your replies. No I have not buffered or done anything to the coco except thoroughly wash it before use. I planned on using super soil with these in 5 gal pots so I didn't think I needed to add nutrients especially at such an early stage. I was under the impression just the coco would be fine to grow in until I transplant to the 5 gal

• Tersky
          Tersky commented
          Editing a comment
          coco has no nutrients in it so it needs nutes from the first set of true leaves or it will be stunted and experience deficiencies. Also it needs to be buffered or you will have stunted growth.

• Juicetheproducer
          Editing a comment
          Based on the reading I've done from the article you attached, there may be a calcium deficiency. Do you think I can still save these seedlings by adding calmag now?

I didn't see anyone else mention it but how much are you letting your pots dry out between watering? Pots look really dry to me

Comment

• dphipps1020
          dphipps1020 commented
          Editing a comment
          With seedlings you want to water with less water but more often. May be going too long between watering and the tap root isn't long enough to reach the water yet. Try about a shot glass worth of water once a day for about the first week. After that you should be able to water a little more and let it dry for a day in between. I like to use a spray bottle at first and mist it once or twice a day for about a week and then I use a water bottle I poked holes in to water. Just keep in mind that the younger your seedling is, the shorter the roots will be so you have to make sure you're getting enough water to them or they'll dry up and die.

• Juicetheproducer
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the pointers! I'll definitely keep that in mind. I think these are suffering from a calcium deficiency though based on some further reading about using coco

• dphipps1020
          dphipps1020 commented
          Editing a comment
          Any time. Happy growing!

UPDATE: I lost one plant but I switched transplanted them over to fox farms coco loco mixed with super soil. As you can see they recovered pretty well with a slight stunt in growth.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X