Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help setting up first time grow

I just have a couple of questions.

I really want to get started on a single plant grow in my boiler cupboard, theres a good amount of room. Only thing I am worried about is the smell. I know about carbon filters but the boiler cupboard is open at the top which goes into the attic, I was wondering if the area needs to be enclosed for a carbon filter to work, or can I just place it inside where I'm growing and it will get rid of the smell?

For my first grow I'm probably going to stick with an cream mandarin kush autoflower since it only takes around 9 weeks to fully develop.

My guess is you'll need to enclose your grow space for the fan/filter to scrub the smell.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

The way carbon filters work is the air from the tent/grow area is pulled or pushed via duct fan through the filter so having an non enclosed environment would not be helped by a carbon filter since the smell will leak out the top. I know tents are not completely sealed so some smell leaks out but the act of having an enclosed space with vent flaps creates a negative pressure that forces air inside the tent when the extractor fan is on. I suggest looking at several setups to see how the ventilation works then you can see how you want to address it. The carbon filter will not get rid of smell unless you direct the air through the filter.

Comment

Thanks guys, will probably just make a growbox and throw it in the cupboard then, that way I will be able to control the smell.

Comment

• Tersky
          Tersky commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah unfortunately if smell is your concern the best way is a carbon filter setup which only works well in a semi sealed space. Just make sure you have a way for air to get into the grow box as well as the exhaust. The flow of air coming in should keep the smell inside the grow box for the most part. Buy i highly recommend NOT putting deodorizers near the grow area as that can ruin your buds. That was just a PSA from personal experience lol.

• TimelyAllowance
          TimelyAllowance commented
          Editing a comment
          I was actually looking at deodorizers but after watching a few videos they explained that. Thanks, I'm looking to micro grow so I think it's time to head to hardware store pick up some wood and some tools and just hand make a grow box. Line it with some reflective wrap and cut out an intake/exhaust should be good, cream mandarin doesn't seem too pungant so I may get away with making my own carbon filter

• golfnrl
          golfnrl commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a plan TimelyAllowance

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X