Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LED Wizards: How much do IR/UV diodes matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! LED Wizards: How much do IR/UV diodes matter?

Dears,

I'm wondering whether there's an actual benefit from the IR/UV diodes that current grow light manufacturers (namely the chinese) put in their lights. To be clear, I'm not asking if IR/UV rays are beneficial to the plant. I'm asking about the efficacy of the diodes used. For example. I've read about how current lights lack UV-B (as opposed to UV-A, or the other way around) so the UV diodes are useless. I believe grow lights now carry 720nm IR diodes. So basically, would there be much difference between a grow light with UV/IR diodes and another that doesn't, assuming they have same chips and power? Thanks!

I have never tried them but my understanding is that they’re not a big deal

Comment

To give more context: I found a really good grow light (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza) but it doesn't have any IR/UV lights. I wanted to know if it really matters or it's okay not to have them?

Comment

• katkootsharmoot
        katkootsharmoot commented
        Editing a comment
        9fingerleafs Yea I thought so too @ it being a trend. Do you think white cobs (Cree's?) are better than Samsung LB308Bs?

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m really out of my element here because I’m an outdoor grower but to my understanding the cree brand is as good as Samsung and they’re both top notch. If I was getting a light I would heck out pacific lights concepts, they design fixtures, list the parts and make tutorials for you to make your lights, they only sell you the led strips themselves. I think they’re 4K white cobs

• katkootsharmoot
        Editing a comment
        9fingerleafs Noted! Thank you for the suggestion and input - really appreciated.

I've got a P-300 from Advanced Platinum. It has IR/UV-B in its spectrum along with a targeted amount of frequencies plants can use. It is the only LED I've got experience with save for a cheap seedling light and a few LED replacement T5 sticks. The first crop grown with this light produced much heavier trichome coverage on the buds - but I also had never grown those varieties before. I also saw the first purpling in my buds under this light. Most importantly, I was able to grow more plants at a time than ever before. Once I can get some Purple Haze under that light I will be able to make a fairer comparison regarding trichomes and colors.
      Coconut Grove
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are quickly selling out must be truth to that about UVB

• UndergroundFarmer
        UndergroundFarmer commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. I had to call their helpline about the light I ordered earlier this month. They have nothing in stock bigger than a P-300 and they estimated my P4-XML2 will ship after July 4. The P4 has the same number of LEDs as the P-300 but spreads them out a bit to fill a square tent and adds a white light boost which I reckon I'll use a lot to look at the buds without getting blinded.

• katkootsharmoot
        Editing a comment
        This looks like a beast. Thanks for the response and yes please update. Smooth sailing!

Adding specific nm wavelength diodes can be a benefit.
      Adding 660 and 730 nm will help flowering.
      Adding UV at the end of flower MAY be beneficial, but LEDs are not a good source for those wavelengths.
      It would be much more effective and cheaper to use a fluorescent fixture for the UVA and UVB light source.
      Overall, I think that responses are spot-on.
      Most of the Chinese fixtures that use them are just a marketing ploy.
      Last edited by gbauto; 06-28-2020, 09:20 PM.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• katkootsharmoot
        Editing a comment
        My guess exactly @ the Chinese fixtures. Thank you!

I would say it's more important to match your light to your grow space. I bought a Chinese 1000w led for my 3x3 because most of these Chinese are way underpowered than their ratings indicate. I figured I'd get 400w if I was lucky.
      I got lucky with model I bought and it's a beast I love it. (No uv/ir) That being said it's to strong for my 3x3. Even at 36" at flowering it was still too close and did not produce the weights I was expecting. Quality was great just no mass. (Even with molasses).
      If your light or lights are correctly matched to your grow space with good procedures and ferts you will get great buds every time. As the tech evolves I'm sure they will develop an effective uv/or spectrums for mj. I'm of the opinion that led manufactures for mj are just transferring what they know from the aquarium coral world and transferring it to the mj world. But what's good for corals (uv/ir) is not necessarily effective for mj.
      Sorry for the ramble.
      Last edited by MrMagic; 06-30-2020, 09:17 AM.
      3'x3'x6'6" Sun Stream tent
      1000w Tolys dimmable Samsung Lm315 diodes meanwell driver
      1000w Tolys led (burple)
      Soil: sungrow's sunshine professional grow mix.
      Ferts: GroTek Monster Grow Pro, Monster Bloom and molasses
      No name towerfan 12" oscillating fan humidifier​

Comment

• katkootsharmoot
        Editing a comment
        No please, 'ramble' all you want, haha. That as actually very insightful and it's exactly the kind of story anyone can learn from. What was the actual wattage of that chinese led you mentioned? In your opinion, did the buds lack density due to the LED's lack of uv/ir or there were other factors involved? Also, if I may ask, what does molasses do for the weight?

• MrMagic
        MrMagic commented
        Editing a comment
        There where several different factors. I never measured the actual wattage but I'll bet it was over 600. The buds did not dense up I feel because the light was to close. My plants showed signs of light burn through the whole grow and I just couldn't get a handle on it. 36" seemed way too far to me and was as high as I was willing go and I eventually ran out of head room. I believe that intensity has more of a role than ir/uv. Molasses is an old skool trick to adding density and flavor to your buds. It has something to do with sugar and amino acids adsorption. I dont know why it works but it does.
        Too much light is just as bad as low light and I overlooked that when I made my purchase. I played for it with smaller lighter airy buds.

• katkootsharmoot
        Editing a comment
        Very insightful (again). Thank you!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X