Praying Mantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Praying Mantis

Well, i'v spent lots of money trying to kill insects. But This is the first time iv ever spent money to purchase an insect(s). Wife and i were out at the nursery today and something caught my eye..it wasnt any of the beautiful flowers or plants..it was a cartoon picture of a bug..iv been in the house too long. So long story short..i bought a praying mantis egg sac or(ootheca). Built a wire cage for it and hung it in a lilac tree near the pond. I'v read good and bad reviews about egg pods and successful hatching, so im gonna give it a whirl. I'll be happy with one lol.
    Attached Files
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

Tent
    Bruce Banner
    Kushy Kush
    2Cookies and cream

This sounds very cool !😎. So much I’ve even want to try this my self 😆
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

A few years back we had animated discussions about praying mantises; one grower had one in his grow room who ate all the bad bugs. The grower put out a capful of water for the mantis and snapped a shot of her drinking from the cap. Smart animals, for sure. They're definitely good allies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mantis2.JPG
Views:	967
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	413369

This is a skinny ass male I had hanging around a couple of years back. I've seen a green one this year, still tiny, so I'll try to get a pic when she grows...
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nature at is best

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        I love praying mantis they are truly a gardens friend like the lady bug. I read where a praying mantis ripped the head off those killer bees no problem. So lets get them killer bees awful I hear. I've not seen one in my garden for few years?

• homegrown
        homegrown commented
        Editing a comment
        beautiful pic!

Keep up updated when the blessed event happens.
      Coconut Grove
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL blessed event haa haa

Well the hired guns have arrived!! Went out to relax and have a coffee, realized the table was crawling with these little critters. Im guessing around 50-100. Still hatching!!
      Canna Coco/perlite
      Cal/Mag.

Tent
      Bruce Banner
      Kushy Kush
      2Cookies and cream

Comment

• homegrown
        homegrown commented
        Editing a comment
        And @ UndergroundFarmer, i cant afford cigars, its gonna have to be doobies. I'll get some fancy " Its a Bug " rolling papers. gotta be something out there...

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        homegrown Please keep posting pics as they grow!!!!! I need my mantis fix.

I saw one in my garden a few weeks ago, I hope she's still lurking...

• Dieselgrower
        Dieselgrower commented
        Editing a comment
        thats pretty awesome!

Bug update...these little buggers got decimated in the first couple of days..even tiny spiders the size of a mantis's head...deadly to the newly hatched(probably why the hatch consists of (20-200). Dont seem to be very intelligent for the first few weeks either. I know they sway side to side to mimic a leaf in the wind..but these little ones do it all the time...even when theres no breeze at all...guess they'll figure it out eventually. They were about 1/4 inch when hatched..i'v seen a few today..almost an inch long now. One in particular seems to like having its picture taken...always looking at the camera..lol
      Canna Coco/perlite
      Cal/Mag.

Tent
      Bruce Banner
      Kushy Kush
      2Cookies and cream

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Little adolescents, good job, Pop!! I am so envious!! I think they are amazing animals that bring tremendous power and good vibes.

I'm lucky, I have mantises and ladybugs that swarm my garden every year. Just saw a baby mantis last week looking at me like it was his plant, I talk to my garden friends just as I do my plants and he knew he was going to be safe right where he stood proudly.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        They really DO have that way of staring at you like, "Hey!!! Whadduya think YOU'RE lookin at???"

I don't see many that i can recall around my garden. Lots of ladybugs though.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Good news! While i thought the mantis's were being decimated(finding all kinds of skeletons around the garden)..come to find out that they shed their exoskeleton six times before they reach adulthood. Their masters at being undetected...i have a plant on my deck. There has been a mantis in it since they hatched(2 weeks or so)....cant find the faker if you stare at it for 20 minutes..then all of a sudden..it pops up for a pic. They can change colors to mimic there surroundings too. i really like these bugs. they seem to prefer winged insects..sand flies,aphids,fruit flies,leaf hoppers. Ant's and earwigs..not so much. maybe when they get a bit bigger.
        Canna Coco/perlite
        Cal/Mag.

Tent
        Bruce Banner
        Kushy Kush
        2Cookies and cream

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          That's great homegrown i sure enjoy watching those little critters move.

• homegrown
          homegrown commented
          Editing a comment
          alltatup, they seem to have no fear of people...stick your hand out close enough..they check you out with their attack legs.. then gladly climb aboard. Or just start crawling up your leg when your standing in the grass(im the only one that doesnt have a problem with that..freaks everybody else out hahah) Their not fond of the weed plants..there isnt any bugs on them(i put um on the plant..they bug out in a couple of hours). I have a large Wisteria that gets attacked by aphids every year..that seems to be where most of the mantis's are growing up. their like another pet...lol

• homegrown
          homegrown commented
          Editing a comment
          And SoOrbudgal, maybe check out your local nurseries..thats where i got mine. We sold out pretty early around here at the box stores.

Thanks homegrown i did not think to check the farmers co-op
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

That's so cool!! Awsome little creatures, almost every year I find big praying mantis' at work. The first pic is oct 18, pics 2&3 are last Sept. If they'll crawl onto my hand, I bring them to the apple tree behind our shop. They look like little aliens 👽
          4x4x6.5 tent, (2) 18"x46" LED Strip Fixtures 440w?? 🙃 (2) Solacure UVB T8s, Infinity T6 fan, (4) 5gal DWC res.
          GH Trio, Calimagic, LKB, Armor Si, Sweet, Hydroguard, GH pH

First.Grow
          Second.Grow​​
          PC.Grow
          Grow.3
          4th.Grow
          I used to smoke pot. I still do, but I used to too.

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            How freakin cool is that!!! I tell ya, mantises are drawn to cannabis cultivators. You can tell he really likes you. That's a skinny ass male looking for a big plump female.

ps. You're the one who looks like an alien to him!!! ;-}

Three weeks after birth..their on the move. About two inches long now and they eat a lot. doesnt matter what either. I didnt think they ate slow moving insects, like worms or caterpillars..but yup. they do. Very messy lolol
          Canna Coco/perlite
          Cal/Mag.

Tent
          Bruce Banner
          Kushy Kush
          2Cookies and cream

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Worms and caterpillers = canoli and burrito!!!!! Squishy is yummy!!

• CaptainWiese91
            CaptainWiese91 commented
            Editing a comment
            So fucking cool 😎. Awesome predators

• Dieselgrower
            Dieselgrower commented
            Editing a comment
            way cool. They are awesome!

What a coincidence I was reading about praying mantis today because a guy was having problems with caterpillars and I looked up a natural way of getting them out.

The Praying Mantis Shop is your One Stop Resource for Everything Mantid, including information, resources, and shopping for living mantises. We offer live food, enclosures, educational books, puzzles and toys, t-shirts, mantis themed home décor and gifts as well as living juveniles and egg cases (ootheca) and more.
          TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
          s silver haze... strawberry haze...
          .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
          TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
          2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
          TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
          3 gallon pots all autos
          Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
          👇my one n only journal👇
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

Heres a couple recent pics of Bug Control Crew. Between these and the very large amounts of dragonflies hanging around the pond this year, we can actually sit outside at dusk..without being tormented by skeeters. Seems the bigger the mantis's get the harder they are to find. Took a pic of this one character..hasnt left this plant since it was born..its actually eating a leg of a bug but there is a bird turd on the leaf...which make it look like its smoking a doob and theres a big cloud around its head..lol Thats my new avitar!!
            Canna Coco/perlite
            Cal/Mag.

Tent
            Bruce Banner
            Kushy Kush
            2Cookies and cream

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              They've gotten HUGE!!! He's adorable! Let's hope you have some nice females in there who will leave their egg sacs this year!!

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Love the new avatar healthy little bugger.

Very cool. This is something I've wanted to try. Occasionally ill see a praying mantis in my garden.
            5x5 Gorilla tent
            Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
            Infinity T8 exhaust fan
            Technaflora nutes
            Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X