My new thc potency tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new thc potency tester

I've been looking for a THC potency tester for a while, but the prices have been prohibitive. So every once in a while, I'll get online and search to see if something new has come out. I found the right one (fingers crossed, looks legit) yesterday. This tester is exclusively for THC and will only test buds that are less than 1% CBD; they have another app coming out for hemp.

I looked at a tester that will give the whole cannabinoid/terpinoid profile: it's a thousand bucks with a one year warranty--a little too rich for my blood, and too much expensive shit you have to keep buying. https://www.mydxlife.com/shop/analyz...t-growers.html

Another is $419 (to test flower; there's a cheaper one to test infusions) plus another $125 for a supply of the reagent mix. That one only has a 6 month warranty, which makes me very suspicious. Why does PAX put a ten-year warranty on their devices? Cuz they back their own product. https://tcheck.me/product/essentials-plus

Then I found this one: Higrade, https://www.gethigrade.com made in Israel, where in the 1970s Dr. Raphael Mechoulam first isolated some of the major cannabinoids, including THC of course. He also discovered the Endocannabinoid System. Believe it or not, Israel has been on the cutting edge of Cannabis research for decades, and for $72 I'm definitely willing to give it a shot. Yes. I said 72 bucks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	higrade.jpg
Views:	1272
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	409363Click image for larger version

Name:	hg2.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	409364

Let the buyer beware. That's a lesson I've learned buying Cannabis-related equipment, and sometimes the lesson was cheap (but still a waste of my money)--like for a crappy trichome viewer for 10 bucks--, and sometimes not so cheap, I think I was a sucker paying so much for the Ghost MV1 vape; sorry to all who bought it on my recommendation (company now bankrupt). So the best equipment isn't necessarily the most expensive. My Belomo triplet loupe isn't the most expensive, but in my opinion, it's the best. Chikamasa trimmers, same thing: they've totally stayed sharp and outlasted former trimmers. My pH meter is an Apera for 50 bucks. Not a BlueLab, but fast and accurate.

I know some folks on the forum are interested in testing potency, so you can read about the devices I've mentioned and see what you think. I personally am excited as heck about this app. The price covers a one year subscription allowing up to 400 tests per month. Then you renew after a year. You get a 7 buck discount if you buy from their website.

I had to update IOS on my iphone 11; the app only works with 13.4 and above. Also, they list a few android phones it won't work with on their website. I'll report back as soon as mine arrives (already shipped from OR). Happy viewing, folks!!
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Wow alltatup thanks for sharing. I looked at the website and read the FAQ. Looks and sounds intriguing. I have one of those microscopes. I bought it for $10 at a local independent toy store. It does work well and allows for great close-up pictures. Doesn't work so well on the iPhone 11 pro though. This question seems to be the heart of the matter. I understand about the accuracy of algorithms but still I wonder...

How can you evaluate %THC from a picture?
    Over the last few years, we have developed a patent-pending method, by which image analysis algorithms analyze magnified cannabis images to evaluate THC percentages. The magnified cannabis images contain trichomes and other microscopic elements we use to evaluate the potency with. Our patent-pending method is tested with HPLC, regulatory approved labs. Three photos from different areas of the flower are required (to account for in-flower variability), which we then analyze on our secured servers and send the results back to your phone in just a few seconds.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Im super excited. I thought I was never gonna be able to afford to do this.

• JohnEmad
      JohnEmad commented
      Editing a comment
      My first thought was it is amazing what good tech can do. Hope it works out real well. Is there a comparison to their findings available to you alltatup?. That would be the
      proof with a side by side. I believe the sample I had tested used spectral analysis so this seems possible.

JohnEmad This page is a little dense, but it does a good job of explaining how their science works: https://www.gethigrade.com/science.php

I'm quite impressed with the explanation, though I have to read it through a couple more times to really get it. I also read all the FAQs, and that clarified a lot. I just can't wait to try it on my little bit of weed that's left from last harvest, and my upcoming harvest. I can hardly sleep.

I just can't help but respect a company that doesn't worship $$$.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• JohnEmad
      JohnEmad commented
      Editing a comment
      This is very cool and I am thankful you are letting us know about it. can't wait to see the results.

Thanks a ton for sharing this alltatup! I now have another device I must try! One question I can't seem to find an answer to on their FAQ page is how much is the subscription AFTER the first year? It says you'll automatically revert back to the free version and you can then upgrade to pro but there is no price listed for that. I may end up getting one of these when I have some extra cash! Again, thank you!
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      That's not bad at all if true! Thanks for the info.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      ellz Renewal is $79 annually; not too shabby. Mine arrives tomorrow. Fun!!!!!

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! Thanks for the info alltatup and I can't wait to see how you like it!

MY TESTER ARRIVED YESTERDAY!!! This thing is so awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Higrade 1.JPG
Views:	1007
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	411218

I tested two buds, one from the top and one from lower on the plant, and the result was 17% for the lower bud and what you see above. The accuracy of the Higrade is give or take 3%, which is an industry standard.

What's so good about this app is that I don't need any kind of solution to disolve cannabinoids in--no weighing and measuring with extreme exactitude, which is what is needed for HPLC (high performance liquid chromatography testing). Now you can do things with HPLC that can't be done with Higrade, like get a full terpene spectrum analysis. That's ok with me, I'll save my money and be satisfied with knowing THC percentage.

I can test a few buds on a cola from different places on the cola to see how the light is affecting potency; this will help me to really fine tune how I grow my buds in order to maximize the potency. I never thought I'd be doing this for under $500, so I'm thrilled.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      That's so cool alltatup. Kinda wish we were neighbors LOL nahh I do wish we definitely were neighbors. trade ya a canna butter brownie for grading my buds !

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      SoOrbudgal I wish we were neighbors, too. I'd definitely test your buds for you for a brownie!!!!!!

• smoorman
      smoorman commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you able to test a bud and give it a bogus name and then re-test that same bud under the correct strain name and compare results? I'm just curious if it's giving too much weight to the strain portion of the algorithm.

9fingerleafs None of your examples convinces me. How much of the tested bud was dispensary bud? It better be at least 15-18%!! I see the "It always reads 15-18%" comment posted in various places.

What I'd really like to do is get my hands on some schwag and test it.

You can't use CBD bud with this device, so if the <1%THC bud was high in CBD, it wouldn't give accurate results.
    You can't use this app unless the CBD content is <1%.
    I'm not surprised that someone would get strange results putting anything else, like tobacco, to the scope.
    It's designed for one thing only; the algorithms are designed for one chemical only.

The app's rating on Apple is very high. Some of the people rating it low weren't using it the correct way; it actually seems like most of the negative ratings aren't even about THC percentage.

Here's a situation like what you mention, with Higrade's response:

Never accurate
    I have used the kit to test over 40 different strains that I have gotten at the dispensary over the past few months. The results are always within the 15-18%, even if the lab tested results from the state are 25%+. Makes me think that the kit/application will always tell you those numbers, and using the +/- 3% often will get you to to the thc % listed because it fits the puzzle. But it rarely says higher than the 15-18% making me think it is fixed... Would love some feedback, maybe i’m doing something wrong but idts
    Developer Response, Hi Lior1996,
    There is a natural variance in potency when it comes to Cannabis flowers. The labels on the packages from the dispensaries are based on batch tests from labs. When labs test samples, they are destroyed in the process, meaning you cannot consume flowers that have been tested. Therefore you cannot assume the flowers you bought have the exact same potency levels as advertised. The potency can vary vastly from flower to flower on a plant because the flowers don't mature all at the same time.
    We have users all over the world seeing results from the HiGrade kit as low as 12% and as high as 29% THC. We would love to talk to you more and make sure you are using the HiGrade scope correctly. Please contact us at support@gethigrade.com

This doesn't really surprise me: I already assumed that a lot of cannabis sellers test the bud from the top of the cola so they can put a 25% label on the jar, but that's clearly no guarantee that all the bud in the jar is that potent.

This is the problem for me with HPLC testing: it would be expensive and time-consuming to make tests all over a cola because of the process required for HPLC; and the reagent ain't cheap!!! I wrote to tCheck asking them why you have to use 10ml of reagent for each test if you only end up using 5 drops, and I also asked why the reagent was so expensive. They never answered me.

I buy genetics that are always above 20%; that's most of what I grow; I was delighted and relieved to see that my Shiva Skunk tested at 21%: it means I did it right. I can't wait to test Royal Gorilla (now in flower) and see if I got her up to 27% THC.

Last edited by alltatup; 06-01-2020, 03:51 AM. Reason: spelling error...

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      i see, thats exaclty the comment i saw when i quickly google searched, im glad the company answers and offers support to get accurate predictions, i do understand too that the lab testing industry is tainted and one cannot just simply trust a label. im just very curious like you said, when you taste shitty weed or very premature trichomes or just the same bud over and over just to really get some range of the capabilities and consistency. im in no way trying to convince you, my good friend, of anything but to do a lot of testing and share with the folks

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      9fingerleafs And you are my good friend!! If this ends up to be a bust, I'll admit it. But at least it's not a $400 or more bust. I don't want to believe anyone blindly, but you and I both know that there's a lot of hustle and dishonesty in the Cannabis business.

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes that’s what I’m afraid. Not that is a bust but that only works in certain special conditions or for certain strains already in a data base. It’s more like exaggerated marketing. I do have hope that AI can do stuff like this

alltatup Thanks for this. Please keep us abreast of your findings - Hopefully your Royal Gorilla corroborates them!
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

alltatup why do you regret paying for the ghost mv1? To be honest I was tempted to get it and after your review I almost did, but I had just bought a couple vaporizers so decided to wait. Guess I’m glad I didn’t get it, mainly because I really really like my DynaVapCap with bong attachments.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Cali Lots of reasons I regret all the money I spent on the vape and extras:

Why did the company go bankrupt? Clearly they never resolved their problems. There were always problems with the oven door and over-heating. I know a LOT of vapes were being sent back and replaced. I had to send my first one back because the haptics didn't work correctly.

It was a total pain in the ass to clean the vape, and to clean and pack the crucibles. It took far too much freakin time and work. I finally gave up in exhaustion.

I prefer a vape where I'm not forced to take a 15 second draw to get the most out of it. Sometimes I like to sip,and you can't do that with the MV1. It made me cough a lot.

I learned so much right after that, when I got the Pax 3 and the Arizer Solo II, which is currently my favorite. I learned that a vape doesn't need lots of bells and whistles and added expenses to be a great vape. I was suckered in by all the hoopla over the MV1, which has since disappeared from the scene like an extinct species. Some of the reviews I'd read just raved and raved about it, and I wanted a really good vape. I just didn't know that I could get it in an Arizer, a solidly established company from whom I'll be buying more in the future, when my Solo II burns out...

So I learned to take the vapecritic's reviews with a grain of salt; he and I clearly aren't looking for the same things in a vape.

Yeah I said that about the vapecritic. Felt like I couldn’t really trust his opinions/reviews.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        What I realized is that I have one set of criteria and he has another. I ain't tryna spend an hour cleaning my vape, which is why I love the Solo II.

smoorman You test the bud by taking 3 pics of it in different places. You can either name it or not afterwards. The algorithms have nothing to do with names, but only with the chemical content on the surface of the bud being photographed.

Here's the science of it: https://www.gethigrade.com/science.php

Another thing I learned this morning: This app works best when bud has been properly dried and cured. So it's not really a test for freshly dried bud (although I'm curious to test some of my upcoming harvest after two weeks' curing.
      Last edited by alltatup; 06-01-2020, 03:51 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

• smoorman
        smoorman commented
        Editing a comment
        So, in your mind it has passed the sniff test? Almost wrote the snort test but we won't go there.

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        smoorman I believe that their science is accurate; I've read their Science page a couple of times, and it's not smoke and mirrors. I want to apply their science and see what results I get. It's comforting to know that my Shiva Skunk--what's left of her--came out at 21%, it lets me know that I'm on the right track as a grower.

And this is different from having a vape you really like and think is the best in the world, cuz different folks have different expectations from a vaporizer; that's a matter of choice. This isn't choice: this should work the same for all of us.

9fingerleafs

I thought you might find this interesting to read from their website, in response to some of the comments made online:

It is important to note that like other testing methods, it has its limitations, and if you intentionally try to fool it – you may succeed. The true indicator for quality of any testing method is how well it performs when used according to its protocol, so we encourage you to put us to the test – as long as you follow the testing instructions carefully.

HiGrade provides you with instant cannabis testing straight from your smartphone. Check your bud’s THC level, know its quality, or simply be more mindful about the product you consume.

So they're kind of expecting users to follow directions and do things correctly, not making up their own rules... that won't work...

Comment

• JohnEmad
        JohnEmad commented
        Editing a comment
        This is real interesting stuff. I might pick up a kit and then have our local bud check guy test it with his expensive tester. May end up costing me a bit but then I could be more certain of the apps ability. I would like to know for my own curiosity what level of flower I am growing.

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        JohnEmad If you do that, take your 3 pictures of a bud and have your guy test that same bud. I'm interested!!!

• JohnEmad
        JohnEmad commented
        Editing a comment
        alltatup, I may be a while getting this done but will be sure to post it for everyone's benefit.
        thanks for finding this new tech.

I'm getting one.
      Ordered! $72
      Last edited by smoorman; 05-31-2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll be very interested to hear about your results.

Just ordered mine....I'd been wanting to get my mystery strain tested for awhile; this looks like it'll be a hell of a lot easier than the local lab and it's cheaper too.
      ****tent (2x4) and large light (Relassy 300W LED) is in storage for now until I can solve some household electrical issues****

CoM Stonington Blend soil, distilled water; Liquid Squid amendment if needed, molasses for flowering

"I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what is so great about this app: how cheap it is!!!

I'm really bummed because it's not compatible with my phone.
      Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------
      Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
      Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

• ellz
        ellz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. It's because of the design of the OnePlus 7T's camera. No biggie.

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        alltatup my phone won't let me get it either, damn it!! It's an old Samsung ,it want even let me click on it,
        I reckon I could get a new phone though, I been wanting a good way to check THC, for along time.
        Thanks for sharing, Sis.

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        D.A.A.S.69 I'd love to know what your numbers are, bro: I'll bet they're through the roof.

That's pretty cheap price $72 really interested smoorman please do see if it checks out let us know. Very interesting
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X