X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JDU
    commented on 's reply
    πŸ‘πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
    I haven't thought of that in months but I think it'll suit ya just fine. Then you can run in the tent when the weather is more co-operative.

• HowTheHell
    replied
    Originally posted by JDU View Post
    Have you seen the mini grow room tutorial in the main site? 5gal buckets, CFL light bulbs & 2 small fans = 1oz of bud. I reckon you could run that grow anywhere.
    I didn't see that no. Have all the kit already at this stage. Got 2 450w viparspectra. I know they dont have enough red from what I read but at the same time they get great reviews as a budget led. Will have a read nonetheless thanks.

Leave a comment:

• JDU
    replied
    Have you seen the mini grow room tutorial in the main site? 5gal buckets, CFL light bulbs & 2 small fans = 1oz of bud. I reckon you could run that grow anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• HowTheHell
    replied
    Thanks for the other ideas, but my hands are fairly tied regarding mods to the attic, and there is no vents there except around the eaves. Its pull air in from the eaves or just from the attic. It either works out or it doesnt. Humidity is a big danger where I live too, over 80 most of the time and can get many days up in the nineties.
    I presume putting a dehumidifier in a tent is pointless if your replacing the air volume every minute with the extract fan?
    Could be just at the mercy of the weather I guess.

Leave a comment:

• HowTheHell
    replied
    eard definitely different smokes. At 4 grams a day I wouldn't be able to function. An oz will last me 3 months or more but gotta have it. Dont smoke till the kids are in bed! So a couple of plants will last me a year easily.

Leave a comment:

• JDU
    commented on 's reply
    True....

• Toker1
    commented on 's reply

• Toker1
    replied
    Here is the deal... the sun transfers heat through radiation. That comes in the form of light that hits your roof shingles. The roof shingles transfer heat into your attic by conduction. the vents in the attic space create fluid air movement that removes the heat through the process of convection. The more air you move, the greater the heat transfer process capabilities are. The cooler the incoming air is, the greater the capabilities for removing heat.
    Adding fans will not be enough to overcome the conduction of heat from the sun into your space alone. If you add some r60 insulation to cover the Attic ceiling, that will help slow the heat transfer from direct sunlight. In this case, you may be able to move enough air to create an optimal environment.
    with that being said, another factor to consider is humidity. If the ambient air is very humid, that may slow the heat transfer process capabilities of convection. Lastly, bringing in high humidity into an attic space can cause other issues, like mold and rotten insulation. So there is a perfect balance one must accomplish in order to be successful at this. Ambient conditions will be the biggest variable one must consider when making these adjustments.
    hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Toker1
    commented on 's reply
    Somewhat. It’s still pulling in ambient air that is fairly warm. So it’s potential is limited. The biggest addition of heat will be from direct sunlight hitting the shingles. Now add some solar panels to the roof and remove the direct sunlight heat transfer... now we are talking larger cooling capabilities.

• JDU
    replied
    HowTheHell I had a thought. I assume your attic has cross ventilation vents? I wonder if a big squirrel cage fan up against one & exhausting all that hot, stale air from the attic would help any?

Leave a comment:

• Toker1
    commented on 's reply
    I’m in the sf Bay Area. Summer is 50-80 typically. The attic space will flux 50-120 in a day easily.
    Your mind is already made up and I am not trying to convince you to change it. Just saying these are not optimal growing conditions by any means. Environment is key to the plants success. My only point here is about expectations. If you harvest anything in the end, even 1 plant... I would consider that a huge win for this space. Keep us posted on how it goes.

• Gingerbeard
    commented on 's reply
    "... assuming you don't smoke an oz a week..." Huh? What do you mean? That's only four grams a day. It's hard to wrap my head around that, man. But hey, different smokes for different folks.

• HowTheHell
    replied
    Toker, in my neck of the woods a day is considered a scorcher at about 80degf so wont get to those levels. There are a few minor benefits if having a crap climate!

Good tips on the vent attachment damngrower, it seems in an attic your either too hot or too cold basically. Thats why I'm thinking growing at the right time of the year would be the way to go, assuming you dont smoke an oz a week and can pick and choose. I guess spring or autumn would be best.

Leave a comment:

• Toker1
    commented on 's reply
    On an average home, when ambient outdoor temps reach 95-97 F, the attic space will be around 150-160F.

• Damngrower
    replied
    I'm facing a similar situation here in the UK, only have the attic to grow in. Its been too cold throughout winter under my 250w hps which has slowed my grow right down. I'm gonna solve that with a tube heater. I'm switching to 300w Led as soon as I can afford it and am just hoping that the temp stays below 30 ​​​​​​
    I've run the intake from the eaves (which I'm assuming are the holes where the roof meets the walls) about 2m to the tent and I've built a cover to attach it to one of the velcro flaps at the bottom. I cut a cardboard cover with a hole for the tube in the centre and attached with velcro then sealed with gorilla tape πŸ˜‚
    ​​​​​​The exhaust goes out a small hole near the top of the roof. I only have the
    ​​​​exhaust fan, no intake, but my tent is small, 60cmx90x160 I think and the fan is quite powerful. No way I can afford an A.C anytime soon so I'm hoping the loss of heat from switching from hps to Led will counter the summer sun!

Leave a comment:

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X