No announcement yet.

Fabric vs Plastic in Autopots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONW I appreciate your interest and will see about posting something here on running Autipot systems when time allows. I currently am working full time and growing too much. As things slow down I will do it.
    cheers.

Comment

• rasdebol
      rasdebol commented
      Editing a comment
      "growing too much", what a great problem to have..... :-)

Originally posted by OlderNOTwiser View Post
    Sweet Grow! Never heard of this system 'til this thread (which I missed until this morning). I bookmarked some articles and videos to watch shortly. Have you considered...or would you consider...throwing together a small tutorial on the system? I know it may be a bit of work but seems like you may have a grow coming up and maybe incorporate into a grow guide? Those bookmarks may get the info I'm lacking. Such as:

1) How do you keep that bucket of nutes from spoiling? How to regulate the temp inside of it?
    2) How does the drainage or excess get dealt with?
    3) We've been told to NOT leave our plants sitting in runoff due to mold, rot, etc...so how does this get around that if it isn't quite soil/coco or hydro or both or either?
    4) If you have a 4 bucket system can you use only one or two?

Hopefully those videos will help. With Covid in the area I'm fine with the old hands on approach for now but someday I'll be able to get out for more than a day or so and this looks like it would be good to start with when you know or are hopeful of a vacation or two down the road.I'm probably not the only one intrigued by this.
    Hi OlderNOTwiser...I don't want to steal JohnEMad's thunder. I'll look forward to his input. With that said, I stumbled across the AutoPot system while searching for an automatic watering system. I had cobbled together a couple different methods on two different grows, but they were only temporary at best, and they got me by for a couple of weeks. I bought the 4 pot smart pot system from Auto Pot USA. I have a grow log detailing my first grow with it. Getting ready to turn on the autopot system today in my second grow.

1. The nutrients don't spoil in the reservoir. They will get a little smelly, but with the lid on the rez it's not noticeable. But, following a suggestion by JohnEMad I cleaned the main rez when I switched to flower. The temp of the solution in the rez will be the ambient temp of the room it is sitting in. No temp regulation needed. I use a small aquarium pump in the rez set to turn on for 15 mins 4 times a day. That keeps things in the rez stirred up and doesn't cause PH fluctuations in the rez the way that an air stone did for me. I grow in a 3x3 tent. My plants were drinking at the rate where I was putting 4.4 gallons of nute solution in the main rez once a week. That's it.

2. There is no drainage or excess. Everything is contained in the system. Each pot has a reservoir that is filled when the aqua valve opens. Once it fills the aqua valve turns off the water from the main rez. The plant takes the water it needs when it needs it. Once the water in the pot's rez is emptied the aqua valve opens to let fresh nutrient solution in. All you have to do is monitor the main rez. Its important that the PH in the main rez stays between 5.8-6.1. And be sure to use mineral based nutrients, otherwise the system 'pipe' may get clogged up.

3. I've learned that some categorize the Autopot as a hydro system, even though the grow medium may be soil or coco. The plants roots don't drown because the plant only takes what it needs, when it needs it. If you use cloth pots they'll feel moist to the touch. The system works because the uptake is from the bottom and not the top. The cloth pots will air prune the roots and your plants won't get root bound.

4. Yes.

The vids on the autopot web site are pretty good. I have called them a couple of times and their customer service is good. One thing I found is the barbed connectors that come with the system work exceptionally well and consequently are difficult to take apart. I have replaced mine with some quick connect fittings I found on the interweb.

There are other auto watering systems but this one appealed to me, as it fits my situation the best, and I recommend it. If you need to treat a single plant for a deficiency or what not, you can by using the individual rez of the plant in question. Hope this helps.

Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• JohnEmad
      JohnEmad commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for taking the time to put that together golfnrl. It covers things pretty well. I like the system as it tends to grow big healthy plants and yields are usually great. And it does free up some time.
      Cheers!

• bboyfromwayback
      bboyfromwayback commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a AutoPot system still in the box that I was reluctant to use after purchasing. Either I’m stubborn or just too comfortable with what’s familiar to me but since I discovered this site and forum I’ve been trying different things lately. After following this grow and reading your post I’m going to be using it for my next grow. The one thing I’m still unclear about is the potting up to the 5 gallon pots. My normal routine is 10-14days in a styrofoam cup, then into a 1 gallon pot for 3-4wks and then it’s either a 5 or 7 gallon depending on the strain. Do you do the same type of routine using this system; grow like normal until the plants big enough for the AutoPot? They aren’t very clear about that and I obviously haven’t called their tech support lol

bboyfromwayback...you’re right about the scant info on potting up. I think you can do what you’ve always done. You’ll be fine with the auto pot. I do it this way. Germinate, soon as I see a tail put em in a rapid rooter, when the tap root is visible at the bottom of the rapid rooter, transplant to paper pot, when the leaves grow over the edges of the paper pot, transplant into final home. Wait 7-10 days and turn on the auto pot system. Just turned on my system yesterday for this grow.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Final tally is in. The surprise come from behind winner is the plastic 15 L Autopot with an air-dome.
      Here are the stats.
      Plants - Berry Bomb Auto's
      5 gallon fabric pot in Autopot xl base - Wet weight 812 grams/ Dry weight 168 grams. Buds are fairly dense with good frost and nice bag appeal.
      3.5 gallon Plastic Autopot plus air dome - Wet weight 832 grams/ Dry weight 173 grams. Buds are slightly less dense and quite frosty with good bag appeal as well.
      That's 12 oz'z woo hoo!
      I was told by a couple of .experienced growers I met in my area that the fabric pots will outperform the plastic using the Autopot system. So this was my trial test. I declare it close enough to be a draw.
      My take is every Auto from the same strain can be a somewhat different in how they grow. No matter what type of growing container and medium you use the other factors such as genetics, proper lighting, ventilation and nutrients all play key roles in the final outcome. This grow fortunately turned out great for me.
      Thanks for stopping by.
      Hope you enjoyed the grow and maybe found something to help in your growing adventures.

The jars show fabric pot on the left and plastic on the right.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20200807_164927_resized (2).jpg Views:	6 Size:	650.5 KB ID:	436227
      Last edited by JohnEmad; 08-07-2020, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X