Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the news: 'Bong Lung' is real. And it's anything but spectacular.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the news: 'Bong Lung' is real. And it's anything but spectacular.

Researchers from New Zealand found that cannabis causes bronchitis, and in heavy users, it can lead to irreversible lung damage

According to a new study out of New Zealand, heavy cannabis smokers could experience a destructive lung disease called “bong lung.”

The study, which reviewed research from thousands of people, found that not only can cannabis cause bronchitis, but that in heavy users, it can lead to irreversible lung damage.

Bob Hancox, a professor at the University of Otago and one of the authors, said, “The bronchitis that people get, the really nasty bronchitis, does tend to improve if you stop (smoking cannabis). But as lung doctors, what we sometimes see in people who don’t stop smoking cannabis is lots of destruction of the lung tissue, and that is irreversible.”

The abstract of the study notes there is a distinct difference in lung conditions between weed and tobacco smokers. While smoking cannabis increases the risk of severe bronchitis at quite low exposure, “there is no convincing evidence that this leads to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease” — something associated with smoking tobacco.

More care and research around weed’s effects on lung health is needed, according to Hancox. He further emphasized that we shouldn’t assume cannabis is harmless to the lungs just because it doesn’t damage the pulmonary system in the same way as tobacco.

And combining tobacco and weed would certainly not be advised. These people “are likely to get the worst of both substances,” Hancox added.

https://www.thegrowthop.com/cannabis...y-weed-smokers

Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

I suppose I am lucky that my lungs are pretty healthy after heavy use and being a former tobacco smoker.
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

I have used my bongs since the 70's and considered to be a heavy smoker. What bothers me most is pollen in the air, after that I do get congestion with the glass tube. I wont say its good for one, and more studies need to be done.

Comment

I have been smoking since I was 21 weed and tobacco. I've had pneumonia 2x this last time was compounded by flu of some sort? I've not been sick with bronchitis for several years but would come down with it nearly every winter years past. I'm " working " on the chantex plan been nearly 4wks. I've not quit yet but I hate it always did but smoked because of habit and hubby smoked till his unknown high blood pressure kicked a clot and he had a mild stroke. Now that should of done it to me then right?? He totally forgot and had zero interest in tobacco wiped from his memory really. No I do not want to suffer quitting that way but I must quit tobacco. I never smoked more than a pkg often way less a day. You would think it would be easier...…..nope 40+ years it's a habit regardless of how much. He smoked 2+PKG a day filthy habit
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• duckman
          duckman commented
          Editing a comment
          when I quit the tobacco,@soorbudgal, I found the nicotine gum really helpful. you can do this, you're stronger and smarter than any cigarette! good luck!

• BR2K
          BR2K commented
          Editing a comment
          Believe it or not, I used hypnosis to quit smoking. The book I used (this was 1983) had some exercises, along with the relaxation ritual. If I had the urge to smoke, I was to go all out and smoke as much as I possibly could stand.

The book plus my incentive to keep my asthma-afflicted girlfriend healthy proved enough.

SoOrbudgal, I hope you're successful with ceasing tobacco. I actually had a moment of weakness, about a week after I quit. I bummed a cigarette, lit it up and realized how stupid I was. I went through all the trouble of trying the hypnosis, and a week of withdrawals for NOTHING????! Yeah, I put it out after a couple of drags and haven't gone back.

One note - I quit drinking alcohol about 4 years later. It was EASIER than quitting tobacco!

I will state that I do have concerns about vaping. When I run I can feel the phlegm, irritation from the vaping causes. Still, I will probably pick up a pack of rolling papers. I want to test the diffference between vaping and a joint.

• smoorman
          smoorman commented
          Editing a comment
          My sister while in school 45 years ago told me quitting smoking was harder that quitting heroin. This was taught to her in college. I scoffed at that. Now, having been through both, I believe her. Used to get pure H while in the navy for next to nothing and then supply ran out. 3-4 days later I was fine. Tobacco? Thought about it for 5-10 years after quitting cold turkey 40 years ago. I started smoking off and on in 3rd grade. So did my friends. It was cool. On another note, my older brother was told by my grandmother that grand dad that none of us ever saw, died of asbestosis. This was 67 years ago. They managed to bury that shit for a long time.

Every time I clean my bowl I can only imagine what my lungs look like. Just look at how gooey the end of a joint is by the time it’s finished. Oh well, nobody lives forever, may as well do what makes you happy.

Comment

I'd like to see something comparing that to dry herb vaping. I have to believe that it's way less harmful than combustion smoking.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            I do think you are correct smoorman but it's still pollution. I just like smoking weed better.

Anyone ever see the episode of twilight zone where the gangster started a smoking cessation program?

Comment

Originally posted by smoorman View Post
          I'd like to see something comparing that to dry herb vaping. I have to believe that it's way less harmful than combustion smoking.
          Yes, you're true, vaping is less harmful. One of the most obvious advantages vaping has over traditional methods of consuming cannabis is that it doesn’t involve burning weed, so, therefore, no smoke is produced. The harmful effects of inhaling smoke produced from any source, particularly from tobacco or marijuana for that matter, is well known. That is because smoking weed exposes you to dangerous and carcinogenic compounds, which have a detrimental effect on your respiratory health. In this case I bought DRAY Dry Herb Vaporizer at http://www.migvapor.com/

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X