Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Nutrients Should I Buy For My Next Soil Grow And How often should I apply them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL What Nutrients Should I Buy For My Next Soil Grow And How often should I apply them?

So basically my question is, can anyone recommend me a good series of nutrients and a feeding schedule for them to use with Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil? This is assuming I go for a 3 week seedling stage, an 8 week veg stage (or as long as I see fit), and then 9 weeks to flower for the Durban Poison, 10 weeks to flower for the Girl Scout Cookies.

What would you recommend I feed both of them during these 21 weeks? I'm kind of confused on the whole nutrient thing, but each grow I've had my plants seem to have problems with them and there's no way around it, but if I can mark it all on a calendar it'll be easy for me to follow.

I plan on growing two plants in 5 gallon fabric pots, using nothing but fox farm ocean forest soil, store bought distilled water, mylar on the walls, and my light, a Viparspectra 450W LED (was about 139$).

The nutrients I bought for my last grow are Sensi Cal Mag Xtra and Dyna Gro Foliage Pro, both of which I still have plenty of. I would fill a plastic syringe with a few milliters of whichever I felt I needed, and put that in the gallon of water, and water my plant with it. Is that the correct way to administer nutrients? Even when I did so, my leaves still had a few color issues, but they weren't as bad as my last grow attempt.

I heard you don't need to use any nutrients for the first 2 weeks when growing in FFOF because it's a very rich soil, is that true?

Sorry I have so many questions. I appreciate all of you who take your time to help beginners like me!
    Last edited by Stahlherz420; 04-10-2020, 05:42 PM.

I use fox farm soil and the fox farm trio as base nutrients and open Sesame, beastie blooms and cha ching. I am totally happy with them.

Comment

I use DynaGro as well, I feed at 6mls per gallon to reach an EC/PPM of 1.4/700 with my tap water. I’m not 100% sure what you mean by a few milliliters but I can say that I don’t need any extra Cal/Mag at my dosage. I’d recommend picking up DynaGro’s Bloom formula for flower at the same dosage. Their ProteKt is nice as well but if your in soil the added silica isn’t necessary.
      Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

• Obi-Wan
        Obi-Wan commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheesy The 1/4-1/2 tsp. per gallon would be recommended if you were watering with nutrients at every watering. I follow the Hydroponic instructions at a little less than 1/2 strength.

• Cheesy
        Cheesy commented
        Editing a comment
        Obi-Wan Thanks for the response. I'm planning on using FFOF soil + 30% perlite and Dyna-Gro Grow & Bloom. Do you think 3 ml per gallon every time would work?

• Obi-Wan
        Obi-Wan commented
        Editing a comment
        Cheesy It seems reasonable to me, but in the end the plants will tell if it’s too much or not enough. I do suggest water only every 3rd or 4th watering just to prevent lock out.

I have never used nutrients using FF Ocean Forest within the first 3 weeks and now, since I am using only living soil, I don’t use nutrients at all. However, all of the seedlings were popped in water, then paper towel, then solo cups with FFOF for 3 weeks under CFL’s and then moved to the super soil coco loco mix......so it really has not needed any nutrients in either method. If you continue the grow using FFOF, read up on using lower ratios of nutrients after those first several weeks when you start to add nutes.

Comment

• Farmall
        Farmall commented
        Editing a comment
        Stahlherz420 you can’t do it that way or you WILL show deficiency... living soil works differently that is why you can use plain water. The roots reach into the bio-active mix and utilize the compounds it needs during the growing cycle.

Using the trio they sell or almost any for that matter will introduce chemical salts to the plant which can make them grow but also result in a plant that does not possess the organic qualities of natural growth. At the end of the plants cycle of growth , those salts need to be flushed out of the soil and plant to minimize harshness from those fertilizers
        Last edited by Farmall; 04-12-2020, 06:55 PM.

• Stahlherz420
        Stahlherz420 commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess I’ll save up some money for living soil next time! Can I put a seed straight into it or no?

• Farmall
        Farmall commented
        Editing a comment
        No. There is a well written process in the webpages of each producer ...read it. The transplant occurs at about the 3 week mark Into the living soil mix.

I do FFOF and FFHF. Started with their solubles trio and had good results. Switched to the liquid trio Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom and yields increased big time. I use half the recommended dosage and don't start feeding for a few weeks after putting clones in dirt and under lights. Some strains can take more nutes than others. Also been trying out Fish Shit for some extra N.
      Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

• Stahlherz420
        Stahlherz420 commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you referring to the feeding chart Fox Farm has on their website? Because it seems like it’s giving a lot of nutrients to an already incredibly rich soil, even at a large dosage. My plants aren’t outdoor, they’re indoor and they each have their own pot. 6 teaspoons per gallon on a plant’s first week of life in an already incredibly hot soil just seems like a crazy amount to me.

Edit: reread your comment, saw you said ignore the feeding chart for the first few weeks. I will be starting from seed since I don’t have clones unfortunately.
        Last edited by Stahlherz420; 04-11-2020, 11:38 PM. Reason: Edit: reread your comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X