Spider mite question...aka the Borg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spider mite question...aka the Borg

Been battling the Borg for 17 days now on Han Solo my contest entrant (for now). I started with alcohol/water spray mostly under the leaves. (Nice when you can hold the entire plant up and spray it.) A few days later switched to peroxide applied the same way. Took a swab and used peroxide on any eggs and such I could spot. Went through the routine twice. Mites are spreading slowly to the next plant. I used a hot shot no pest strip against my better judgement as a last desperate act. I no longer see adults but there are still a zillion tiny perfect little eggs. So the question is this: If the current crop of adults has been exterminated and can't lay eggs what about these current eggs? Will they hatch still or have they been rendered useless? Anyone who has battled the Borg been successful at eradication?
    TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
    EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
    AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
    IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

I feel for ya - for anyone that has ongoing problems - I've been fighting WPM all year - and have sprayed my cup contender for it last week. Never fought the Borg- but doesn't sand on top of your soil stop the laying of eggs? Cuz it doesn't stay wet.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Cali
      Cali commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you tried spraying once a week during veg with neem cake tea? It supposed to kill the wpm and keep it off you leafs meaning before you get it spray it will prevent it.

I just found I have an infestation...trying to find Spinosad locally.
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

I don't have a way to get a pic but the eggs are on the underside of the leaf. They look like microscopic pearls. I'm not giving up. Big concern is the three plants in the tent with all this.

Comment

Try lavender flower tea. Soak 1/4 cup of flowers in about a 1 litter of water for 48 hrs. Strain and then dilute it I just pour some in a one gallon jug and water the leafs thoroughly. Over and under the leafs. It supposed to melt the eggs. Since you can see the eggs go ahead and try it let me know what the eggs look like after the treatment. It’s the camphor in lavender that melts the eggs. Look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
          Try lavender flower tea. Soak 1/4 cup of flowers in about a 1 litter of water for 48 hrs. Strain and then dilute it I just pour some in a one gallon jug and water the leafs thoroughly. Over and under the leafs. It supposed to melt the eggs. Since you can see the eggs go ahead and try it let me know what the eggs look like after the treatment. It’s the camphor in lavender that melts the eggs. Look it up.
          I have some lavendar essential oil. I may just dilute that in a 32 oz. spray bottle and see if it helps.
          A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

BR2K it should help. But if you can try to get the flowers. I feel that way you can get all the properties of the leaf.

Comment

Captain Jacks dead bug works well for the borg, I hit my girls twice 3 days apart, then in another 3 days hit them with spinosad, all gone byby! The spinosad did burn 1 plant, maybe it was too soon. I also treated every plant in the house.

Comment

• OlderNOTwiser
                OlderNOTwiser commented
                Editing a comment
                Trying to find info on Captain Jack's as far as flowering plants. HD has the pre-mixed sprayer in stock, 20 minutes away, so that may happen yet. I'm still concerned about the timing and the smoking!

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                Captain Jacks Dead bug claims to be safe to harvest, all natural stuff in it.

• kingfish
                kingfish commented
                Editing a comment
                I alternate between Captain Jacks and Safer soap. The trick is to catch them before they web. Then you are screwed.
                This is for you newer growers. As soon as you see the little white spots. Start spraying. And yes, you can use Spinosad all the way 'till harvest. Not the Safer Soap tho.

If the infestation is bad and only impacting 1/4 plants then I would say toss it before it impacts the others. Simply LST remaining plants to help fill newly available canopy space.
              Up next:
              [Insert your recommendation here]

Comment

Thanks gang. Guess it's time to break quarantine and get some bug stuff. Wish I could quarantine the damned bugs!

Comment

if they were outside you could fight bugs with bugs. I dont want them inside either.

Comment

Quick update on my Borg problem. For the record I now know why they're called Borg. Resistance is futile and I will be assimilated. But not without a fight. Checking my grow journal the mites were first spotted on march 2. I mixed up iso alcohol (91%) and water and sprayed top and bottom. Three days later I sprayed with peroxide. I repeated this sequence before resorting to Captain Jack. They laughed at me! Hit them again a couple days later. Still hearing giggles from them. The eggs are now all over the tops of leaves as well as the bottom. For the record I'm spraying and soaking the crap out of these things and still no joy. If it were warmer I'd stand outside and hold Han upside down pointed at the sun and fry them.

Now have moved to Organocide. Essentially fish oil, sesame oil and water. Supposed to coat them and smother them and the eggs as well. We'll see. I'm giving them 'til mid-week before I cash it in. I'll get my Solo cup pictures and all prior to chop.

The reason I thought to return here besides thanking those who have assisted and anyone who may in the future is the Organocide. It too is "safe until harvest" for consumption. None of these things is taking into consideration of whether it is safe to consume via combustion so I'm still in worry mode. With the recent vaping and oils issues it is a concern. I'll continue my search for answers and I'm hopeful someone has experience or knowledge of the oils and combustion.

Oddly, I do grow both mums and lavendar but we're just coming out of winter so my plants aren't of use. However, there will be a plant or two of each in small pots come autumn for the next indoor grows!

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                      SoOrbudgal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What a shame I know nothing about these sprays these bugs are they in the buds?

SoOrbudgal I'll get a few pics up shortly but so far I think I've held them back from there. I just realized I failed to point out I did get them before webs showed up which is why I'm trying to stay ahead of them. And with my first plant last summer getting aphids I had the "fortunate" experience with having to wash before dry and cure so it will be in my future with this guy.

Comment

Damn I thought you had used the lavender and had good news. To be honest maybe it’s best if you just start over and let this one go, well it depends on how good or bad shape the plant is in. Last time I did multiple treatment on a plant the tiled and quality wasn’t good. Even though it was in Veg and in good shape going into flower. The stress of the bugs and treatment I feel makes a plant weak. Any chance you can walk it out and shake the crap out of it? Or put a white paper under the leafs and shake it so you can have an idea of how bad it is the pest will all fall on the paper for you to investigate. I will get back at you with an oil that is recommended by a well known bug expert I have to go look it up. But if you can go ahead and buy lavender flowers I go to Trader Joe’s and use that dry lavender flower your plants will love it.

Comment

Well, I really appreciate the good vibes however...I'm in the highest Covid fatality state and my county is also getting hit pretty good. So getting out and about (especially on a weekend) is sketchy. Haven't been able to buy paper towels or TP in a month. I snapped a pic of a Wegmans store near me. This is three weeks into this and all of the panic. In another time it would be really funny.

Comment

• 403grower
                          403grower commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Whoaaaa grab some on amazon my guy.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X