Led lighting suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Led lighting suggestions please

I'm trying to decide on what lights to go with for my new grow setup. I was forever sold on going with Led lighting from the beginning because of lower cost of operation and temp. I was planning on going with the Viparspectra 700 series for a while. About a week ago I came across a review for the new Mars Hydro TSW 2000 series. I'm really thinking about going in that direction because of the quality of the light and it being newer led tech. I would like some input please. I'm just getting ready to start growing for the first time, there lights will be going on a Vivosun 5x10 grow tent. My lighting budget is 500.00. any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

✌️
    ​​​​Organic Grow, kind Soil, Foxfarm Ocean Forest, , Perlite.

​​Vivosun 5 x 10

Spider Farmer sf2000 X2

AC Infinity Axial Fan Driver Coolers

Ventilation AC Infinity 6"

Carbon Filters AC Infinity in and out

Root Trapper 2 Smart pots 7 gallon

Change your thoughts and you change your world.

Welcome, Dude.
    50 sq ft of canopy will need at LEAST 1500 watts power consumed to get adequate light levels.
    You'll be hard-pressed to achieve that for under $500 using HID fixtures, much less leds.
    The Mars fixture should be more efficient compared to the vipar if that helps.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

If I had money to spend I'd be.looking at quantum LEDs...plan on 40-50 watts per sq ft of canopy space to get decent buds

Comment

Hey Dude, thats a pretty big space your trying to light up. Iv been looking at MARS lights and for that size tent you'd need 2 TS 3000w at least. Veg coverage would be ok but is reduced to 4x4 while in flower. And i think their 600+ each. Im running 2 viperspectra 600w in a 4x6 tent and want to upgrade to 2 TS2000. Maybe look at a bit smaller tent so you can keep the lighting price reasonable.
        Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
        Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
        6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
        Canna Coco/perlite
        General Hydroponics Flora Series
        Cal/Mag.

Tent
        Bruce Banner
        Kushy Kush
        2Cookies and cream

Comment

Agreed. That is a huge space to light. I love my Mars Hydro fixtures (a tws 2000 & 2 ts600s) in my 4x6 tent but if you're gonna try to light that kind of space I say you need to do a led light strip array like Farmall Obi-Wan & YYCannabis make.

Comment

My brother and a friend both got the mars tsw 1000's I picked the tsw 2000, its foot print in veg is 4x4 and flower 3x3. So far all 3 of us luv them as do the girls under them. IDK how I will like it in a year, time will tell. I'll add, get all you can for the money you have to spend, this was under $175 over the counter.

Comment

I was looking at some spec last night and the Spider Farmer Amazon sells seems like it has potential. I am adding blue boosters and far red on a few of my strips to see how they affect growth next time but for the money, I think. Those two lights, Mars and spider farmer are looking like a reasonable value. I can see how it’s difficult for a new grower to look into lights and get confused and lost. WTF, happened to me initially, lulled more by price and no knowledge. A few months worth of reading, I’d never be in that same boat again with cheap leds. 315lec would be my 2nd choice

Comment

Might as well add my 2 cents...most of you already know what I'm going to say...safety first. For a light that will be on at least 12 hours per day it will generate significant heat (yes even LED) so get one that has been properly safety tested. To date the only LED manufacturer that I know of that has some of their models government tested is ViparSpectra. If you have a $500 budget then consider this one https://www.viparspectra.com/goods.php?id=56 or if you want a bigger space try 3 of these daisy chained together https://www.viparspectra.com/goods.php?id=59

Most of the LED panels that you find on Amazon are crap and I can almost guarantee over 90% of them have not passed government electrical safety standards (UL, CS or ETL). As mentioned in previous posts the majority of these panels are made in China and the majority of them opt to "self test" using the "CE" certification which in many cases is actually faked. It's sad but true...these companies consider profit over safety, Mars Hydro included. I contacted Mars Hydro when i was looking for a good LED panel and after numerous emails regarding safety testing they simply stopped responding...nobody would confirm or deny government safety testing.

Ironically Amazon has a policy in which it states that all third party sellers must conform to government safety regulations regarding electrical items that plug into a wall socket. Unfortunately for consumers, Amazon does not police or enforce the policy because every sale means a profit and as far as amazon is concerned it's "buyer beware". Amazon can't get sued because they are indirectly selling the product and the liability is on the third party seller!!!
                I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

I want to thank everyone for the information and time spent. I'm going to try an auto before the photo as to hopefully take some confusion or of the mix until I start understanding what I'm truly doing. Reading goes a long way but there's nothing better then hands on in my opinion. After the seedlings are a few weeks old, roots and big enough to handle lights, I'll be running an 18/6 on the lights, so yes, they will be on for a good amount of time. I like to spark up, just not my house, so I'll be keeping a close eye. Going to setup a simple monitor run thru my phone so I can be alerted of any issues and also just keep on eye on my work. At this point my best bet is to section off my tent to a smaller grow area, that seems to be the simplest way to get a proper coverage without spending money I don't have. I'm leaning towards a 5x5 section basically sectioning half the tent. If I go with two of the TSW 2000, that should easily give me the coverage I need all the way through veg and flower. Does that sound like a solid plan? I would rather admit my ignorance and ask for honest advice versus act like I know what I'm doing and be a douchebag. So would I just hang a reflective divider? Or just focus there lights in a 5x5 section and not worry about the divider?

​​Vivosun 5 x 10

Spider Farmer sf2000 X2

Comment

• JDU
                    JDU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like a plan!! I think you'll be very happy with the Mars Hydro. 2 of the tws 2000 will veg that area- you might wanna consider one of the sp250 also to flower. No need to partition- just keep the plants in the light.

• dilvish
                    dilvish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    buy a light system that has had good results and has been properly safety tested. I don't care what Mars Hydro may say over the phone or in an email. I did my homework and Mars Hydro, like most of the Chinese manufacturers, does not have their lights safety tested to government standards like your telephone, your microwave, your hot water tank, your TV...the list goes on. Ask yourself this...would you buy a microwave oven knowing it had not passed government electrical safety standards? Would you be okay knowing that something that generates a great deal of heat and radiation has not been properly safety tested because it cuts into profits? Thats exactly the case with most of these Chinese manufacturers...they simply don't care.

That's honest advice....

Dude. If I understand correctly... you plan on remote monitoring? Consider trying the Wyze cam... it’s about $25.00, can easily access via cell phone or tablet, has night vision if you want it on or can turn it off, can alert you to sound and motion and takes video, snapshots or live viewing. I can say this... they’ve worked beautifully even resets easily on it own if the power goes out

Comment

Dude I believe you have sufficient lighting recommendations so I have a suggestion for an alternate profile pic. Whaddaya think? Click image for larger version

Name:	Lebowski (2).jpg
Views:	510
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	380985

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	The-Big-Lebowski-hp-GQ-25Feb16_rex_b.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	380992

Comment

Love it! My bulldog's name is the dude.
                        If you get confused....listen to the music play

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyButtLovin View Post
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	The-Big-Lebowski-hp-GQ-25Feb16_rex_b.jpg Views:	4 Size:	428.1 KB ID:	380992
                          The jesus scene. i adore the coen brothers!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's your fault Dude

Comment

Guest commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Big smile here

I feel like I should be applauding all of you for your safety topics, camera reviews and awesome choice of Avatar pictures. As said..... Safety is always number first, quoted by my favorite Russian. I understand your point about not being properly tested and having danger issues and I thank you very much for your concern. With that said, 90% of all pharmaceuticals come from China! I hope that helps clarify, but again thank you for your safety concerns. Farmall, excellent choice on ip cam for anytime observation. JDU, thanks for verifying my thought on sectioning a smaller area and the info for no divider needed. I don't have a clue what a sp250 is but I'll be sure to take a look today and get some knowledge on. Thanks again everyone for the guidance, humor and safety, you're all Rockstar status ✌️

​​Vivosun 5 x 10

Spider Farmer sf2000 X2

Comment

• Nute
                            Nute commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I own the Mars sp250
                            This light is one beautiful light I don't care what anybody says doesn't get hot it is certified by government standards it has a seal on it holographic symbol of some sort anyway I've been using it for two grows now and it's awesome

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X