X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocket Science?

New to the forum and growing as well.
    One question;
    Is growing a few plants as hard as I am reading. I thought this would be a cool hobby but the more i learn the more confused I get. It there a simple stupid formula?

Thanks.
    🙂🙂

Uhmmm . . . Buy the best lights you can afford, stay away from anything Miracle Gro, don't overwater. And don't get discouraged -- you are in the right place.

Comment

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      Hate to disagree but not all miracle grow is bad, just the stuff that has time release. The organics line is decent from what i have seen (several members have shown miracle grow grows with success). Now that Scotts Miracle grow has started dipping their foot in the cannabis market there are some foods and soils that are more cannabis friendly. For a long time this was correct but now it's just not an accurate statement

it can be complicated yes.
    The intent was to give users information on how to grow it properly. The tutorials and information on the main site are very helpful but you have to want to get into it.
    Growing anything can be as easy as plant, water and wait which people on a budget tend to try first only to find it really isn't all that simple.
    Would it work? yes. will it produce smokeable weed? probably. Will the amount and potency be high? probably not.

As with everything in life if it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Almost every grower on this forum probably has at least one story where they just planted some seeds, watered them and waited hoping they would get cannabis as good or better than what they have consumed in the past only to find that it isn't the case.

You want the easiest way? get some free seeds, germinate them, plant them in some decent soil outside in direct sunlight (late spring) ,water them every so often and pray nature takes it course,
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Fun hobby. Make as hard as you want, or not. If I ever make up one of those tag lines part of it will read " It's a weed".
      Focus and relativity.

Comment

Really, basically, all you need is soil, light, water, and some sort of nutrient. Growing indoors adds a few challenges. The more parts to your system, the more parts can go wrong.
        If you can grow a philodendron, you can grow weed... easy.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6
        Nutes
        CalMag

Comment

Ya know some just never get it and I won't waste my finger muscles on those folks.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• ChefSheri
            ChefSheri commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahh c'mon Budgal, shoulda told him we have to study rocket science if we want rocket fuel, end of story. Yes?

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            Did I miss something I shouldn't have missed?

It can be as easy as you want or as complicated as you want, I grew the simple way for many years. Just plant the seed and come back for harvest. You dont get as much per plant, but its easy.
          On my indoor grow I am as organic as I can stay which as I read is the second simplest way to grow. I have not tried hydro yet, My X called me a control freak so why am I not doing hydro?

Comment

Yes ChefSheri
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! My view is that it's a labor of love. Invest your time to learn as much as possible and learn from the journals of others. In addition to the fantastic resource that GWE provides, many forum members have kindly and courageously documented their experiences.

If you're looking for a quick reward, find your closest dispensary.
              A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

I too agree that indoor growing is certainly a lot more involved. I personally am going to do an experiment this late spring and try a non interference outdoor grow. I'm going to germinate and make 2 seedlings indoors and then plant them outdoors (when the first set of leaves appear) in fabric pots with some local plant nursery bought soil. I'm going to stick them in a sunny spot so they get at least 8 hours of direct sunlight and water them once a week (a heavy watering). The seeds will be photoperiod feminised.
                We'll then see how they do without anything except water and sunlight. If they get pests, i will only treat the infestation if it becomes bad. My first method will be to spray the plant with lukewarm water using a pressurized garden sprayer. That worked on an indoor grow that got spider mites so I will try that again if need be so that the plants stay 100% organic.
                We'll see how nature does on it's own.
                I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

The answer is yes and no. If you want to grow good bud then yes can be complicated, if not, then you dont need to invest the time into learning how to do it well. I will say that if you expect to harvest a lot of fat nuggs your first couple grows then you will probably be disappointed. It was my 3rd grow before i harvested over an ounce per grow. Now i harvest 2-3oz a plant (indoors). It took me a few years to get here but it happened. My recommendation is to read everything you can on the main site as it has extensive tutorials and articles covering most of everything you will need to know to get started.

Comment

Thank you all,
                  excellent responses. Just getting started . We are trying to do things right. 8x4x6.5 ft tent . Vispa 450 to support our first two plants. Promix soil , and autoflower strains.
                  I will continue to read and review the growers journals.
                  One more question, why no tap water for watering?

Thank again.

Comment

• BR2K
                    BR2K commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My tap water runs about 7 on the PH scale. I'll probably never have to use the Base liquid my kit came with.

• dilvish
                    dilvish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    BR2K guessing the PH is different than actually testing it. "Around 7" means it could be higher or lower. Lower if you are lucky. Even 7 is a bit high for indoor plants. a better range is 6.2-6.9 and that's assuming soil grown, not Coir or hydro.

• BR2K
                    BR2K commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm using a liquid testing kit, where the color indicates the PH level. Hence, why I can't be as precise as a digital pen. My report is right out of the tap, not runoff. I'm utilizing coco-coir, trying to get to around 5.5...

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X