Are 600w digital ballast going extinct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are 600w digital ballast going extinct

Hey everyone, this post isn't about any plant problems but more of a general discussion. I have noticed a lot a 600/400w digital ballast are no longer available on online retailers, Hydrofarms own website even seems to indicate that they are being pushed out. I learned how to grow under MH and HPS and its a little disturbing that manufacturers would simply stop producing products that growers are familiar with and have been used for decades. I can easily find 1000w lights but those are overkill in most situations (not to mention a huge waste of power). Anyone else notice this? Any thoughts?

I hate to say that I investigate lights routinely but I do and your observation is based on the development of led technology showing that is can produce results equally for several important points. Especially that more and more growers of all sizes are using them with fair success. currently, NebulaHaze is conducting a cloned side by side comparison to see if her results will prove out those same theories on instantgram

Comment

I had feeling LEDs had something to do with it just seems strange considering you can still find magnetic ballast these days. Iv heard that LEDs don't have the canopy penetration that HIDs do one of the reasons I have yet to jump onboard I'v also heard there's a ton a crap on the market. All the goods ones seem to cost an arm and leg. Maybe now would be a good time to see what's up with CMH. Do you use LEDs?

Comment

Yes, only leds as the primary... if I need to move excess into a tent, I’ll add the 315 CMH or 1000hps but that 1000 is too big for a small 4x4. The better leds have the capacity to penetrate deeper canopies but your own grow techniques will also determine how light penetrates. NebulaHaze has a few tutorials on how to get to the 8 main cola method and I’ve used it very successfully....That allows the light to really get into the core of the plant and those colas get huge. Look into it, it has real benefits

Comment

Thanks, I will be sure to do that. Happy growing.

Comment

• TheGoodFarmer
            TheGoodFarmer commented
            Editing a comment
            yeah, that's a good set, ever check out Cornell '77? will blow your mind

• Farmall
            Farmall commented
            Editing a comment
            Bootleg?

• TheGoodFarmer
            TheGoodFarmer commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope it's not bootleg its easy to find, would be great if I could find it on vinyl, but you can find the whole thing on youtube. I think i discovered it on Spotify.

I agree there is a lot of crap LED models out there. In an earlier post I talked about the safety of them which is why many of them are crap. a Lot of them also don't put out nearly as much light as they say they do. I would guess the reason the old school light makers are discontinuing 400/600w ranges is because they can't compete with all the garbage because it is a matter of cost for a lot of first time growers, myself included. Fortunately I found a decent LED model at 900W that is safety certified (UL) and so far it's doing a good job keeping my girls happy. But I also have a small grow space so 900W is probably just right
          I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

My cheap blurple leds are stacked on a shelf after the first 4 months being replaced by slightly better garbage and as a manufacturing company, I would not be building stuff that won’t sell. If you continue to dabble with each new series of Changes, you’ll be spending big bucks with little repeated results

Comment

• TheGoodFarmer
              TheGoodFarmer commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah, I agree it's ridiculous the kinds of crap floating around out there. I'm sure when prices really start to drop like after a decade or so all the shit will hopefully get pushed out of the market

I hope they're not going away. I've only had to replace one ballast and that was years ago. I run two and I'm happy with the results and do not want to have to start over with something new!
            Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

• TheGoodFarmer
              TheGoodFarmer commented
              Editing a comment
              See that's my biggest problem with it, having to start over with something new. Growing plant inside is a delicate process you change a variable as important as light and everything is different, I am all for progress and I'm sure LEDs will eventually take over I just didn't think it would happen this soon. I myself have been growing for only 2 years and I just now feel comfortable with my process. I just find it very disruptive. And the kicker is hydrofarm still makes smaller (400/600w) magnetic ballasts now that's obsolete because of the digital ballast. Do you by any chance know what the average life span of a digital ballast is?

Guess I jinxed myself. My 600 shit the bed about a week ago and took the bulb out with it. Didn't record what I paid for the original in 2013 but it lasted 6.5 yrs. I had a 400 that only lasted 3 yrs. That replacement has been going strong for 4 years now.
            Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Hi everyone!
              I'm a new member of this forum and I hope to recieve advices from all of you guys.
              I have a question: are digital ballasts better than magnetic ballasts?
              Last edited by Davidhenry; 01-26-2021, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Yes a good led is expensive but it will last a long time. I have a horticulture quantum board rated at 640 watts. It's over 3 years old and still going strong and grown pounds and pounds of good quality cannabis.
                640 watt hlg quantum board
                320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
                300 watt mars hydro sp3000
                150 watt hlg quantum board
                100 watt spider farmer led x2
                organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
                Water only i don't check ph
                6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

I use a 400 watt hps, they are not going extinct, just the demand is lower, you still find them on amazon or in a specialty store. Leds are to expensive and until the prices are more reasonable I will NOT buy them.

Comment

• Cloud
                    Cloud commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's cool was not telling you to. I was merely stating why expensive leds are good. You will also be waiting a long time for prices to drop low. They take a lot of diodes and materials. Build your own and that can make it a lot cheaper. I built my own 320 watt leds for 400 bucks.

• Ace1973
                    Ace1973 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My comment was general, not directed at anybody

• Farmall
                    Farmall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My HPS and CMH are used in my shop as supplemental lighting for wood or welding

I just got the 600 Watt SolisTek on Amazon. While I cannot say that this is the best HPS ballast on the market, it has many positive attributes. The feature that stood out the most for me is its Ignition Control
                  Last edited by jameslandry; 03-29-2021, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X