Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My plants are going to be too tall. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My plants are going to be too tall. Help?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ABBFB80A-1CD1-4E61-B96E-6F27739F5C2A.jpeg
Views:	500
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	373434Click image for larger version

Name:	E6B523B8-F3CA-497E-8852-0F9ADE859842.jpeg
Views:	440
Size:	573.9 KB
ID:	373435Click image for larger version

Name:	348D2708-0000-4A28-B66D-DB58B2663B72.jpeg
Views:	470
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	373436

Hi everyone. I misjudged my plants’ sizes and growth rate and I’m going to run out of room. My plants grew 5” in the last 3 days. They’re 20” tall and The max plant height from the soil up with this light is 42” recommended. I imagine I could push that to 45”. So if my plants more than double I’m in trouble. At the rate they’re growing I think they’ll exceed that. I really don’t want to super crop/bend if I can avoid it. They have been pinched twice and have 4 main stems. Can you guys give me any suggestions?

LST...you'v got lots of horizontal space. Tie them down and spread them out. My tent is vertically challenged as well, i just direct them in which direction to grow.
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you have any pictures of it?

Tie them girl's down.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...plant-training
    Last edited by Mr.furley; 02-06-2020, 10:48 AM.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Exactly. Like it was discussed in another thread you n I were askin questions. More knowledgable folk than you n I said let em grow so relax & let em grow. If the time co.es we have to bend them down I guess that means that we grew em right & strong.... no???

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have any pictures of tall buds being bent down?

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        If memory serves there's a few pics on GWE. Right now mine are about the same size as yours. But basically all you do is use flex garden ties or yarn & bend the stalk a little bit- pulling it down to where you want it & anchoring it to hold it there.

I've grown several right into the lights just have to bend and tie. I think its called super-cropping when you basically break the stem and bend it over. It'll be fine, be thankful for a thriving plant !!
      Focus and relativity.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have any pictures of you doing that?

Yep it's called super-cropping for a reason when done on healthy plants makes energy go towards upper bent cola.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m not that brave yet!

I agree with SoOrbudgal, super-cropped and properly supported will produce more bud.

Comment

If you’re hesitant to super-crop you might just try some gentle LST. It looks like you’ll buy yourself 3-4” just by gently pulling your tops down and away from the center. Keep doing that for another few weeks while they stretch during flower. You just need to take their vertical growth and spread it out a bit horizontally. Get comfortable with how the plant can bend and then in later grows you’ll feel better about how you can gently break it without killing it.
        Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

Originally posted by cannatom View Post
          Hi everyone. I misjudged my plants’ sizes and growth rate and I’m going to run out of room. My plants grew 5” in the last 3 days. They’re 20” tall and The max plant height from the soil up with this light is 42” recommended. I imagine I could push that to 45”. So if my plants more than double I’m in trouble. At the rate they’re growing I think they’ll exceed that. I really don’t want to super crop/bend if I can avoid it. They have been pinched twice and have 4 main stems. Can you guys give me any suggestions?
          Use bending if possible to reduce the height of the tallest branches. Spreading out your plants so they're flat helps to ensure all parts of the plant are roughly the same distance from the grow light.

Comment

Rig up a trellis net so you can weave your canopy through it. That will allow you to spread out the new growth during stretch and maximize the footprint your light covers. I do this on every inside grow. It makes a huge difference in yield.
            WHAT???
            5x5 grow space
            900w of Vero's and F-strips
            4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you have any pictures?

They may not even double
            let alone triple
            in size during flower either. But bending em down is definitely the way to go.
            Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

The growth seems to have slowed and they’re starting to get more bushy since I flipped the timer. 1-2” in Growth last three days. 20-22 “ now. I know I should net or tie these down but I wanted to do a straightforward grow so I could see how the plants react differently indoors in a smaller pot. Haven’t decided what to do yet. A trellis would be easy to do using the horizontal support poles above the plants which slide up and down. As a last resort, I can extend the height of my tent by 12”” but I’d like to avoid tearing everything down and redoing it.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                Good Luck with the experiment nice to mess with training if you have the seeds to do it.

Think of it this way: you are trying to look thru a tall stand of grass, since you can’t see easily... you part the grass with your hands. while they’re bent over, tie a string to the tops under the buds and keep them at that tilted over position

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                Can't describe it any better Farmall. I think it's a great "visual" explanation.

Had a similar problem so I topped, tied, and super cropped like this on mine. Results were great, credit to the tutorial on training mentioned above. Good luck!Click image for larger version  Name:	D52D5CFA-C79D-418E-A9CA-0DE201B2E06E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.14 MB ID:	374184 .this is the result. Click image for larger version

Name:	C35C3B0F-53F2-4C73-A788-B9CEBA131517.jpeg
Views:	531
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	374186
              Last edited by sgiacomo; 02-09-2020, 08:57 AM.
              4’x4’x6 1/2’ tent, Nextlight Mega, Roots Organics 707 soil in 5 gallon square plastic planters, GH Flora Series Performance Pack nutes alternated with Fish Sh!t in RO water

Comment

• sgiacomo
                sgiacomo commented
                Editing a comment
                No problem Guest. That’s actually my cooling system. I have a portable AC unit outside of my tent that I rigged to blow cool air into the tent when lights are on (exhaust into my attic). I also have a 4” hurricane inline fan and carbon filter taking air out of the tent and into my attic. Removed one of the mesh vent covers from the back of tent to let more fresh air in, since it is against the wall I haven’t had any light leak issues.

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you have one of the regular portable room ac units or something smaller? Those port rm units use a lot of power.

• sgiacomo
                sgiacomo commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s just a regular portable AC unit.

Wonderful sgiacomo great visual. Easy peasy once you do it.
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X