A different light question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A different light question

If you've seen any of my posts you'll see various scrounged things in use. Primarily for supplemental lighting. I've got an old utility/drop light with the hood removed and a splitter with two cfl bulbs. I shortened a 3-light stand and use cfl and room type led bulbs up tight to sides after pulling them down and out. I use it to clip my small fan to, etc. I had free time to think yesterday and that is not always a good thing. In my 3x3 I basically have everything in its own quadrant and one quad has the pole light and fan. My solo entry requires a quad for the torture chamber so the light is out later today. However, when I was looking for a cfl with a different K rating I stumbled upon two old fashioned 100 watt incandescent flood lights (amazing what we keep "just in case"). I replaced them with these: Ecosmart 2-pack of PAR38 LED floodlights 90w equivalent (13w actual). Well, there is an issue with the socket in that the screw-in part is too short to make contact. I tried the 100w bulb on Han Solo and burnt a bit. Probably actual heat rather than light. So I swapped the old back into the fixture I know they work in and now have these two bulbs and they are in fact bright AF!

If I rig up the two of them as kind of COBish I can definitely focus more on the area now served by the light pole. I'm going to move some stuff around this afternoon and I hope I'm putting enough REAL watts in and not EQUIVALENT watts. Anyone used floodlights?
    TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
    EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
    AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
    IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

Did my housekeeping. Removed the light stand and hung the LED floods. They're only 13w each. Many of my CFL curlies are higher wattage. These are rated at 1050 lumens so brighter then the curlies but now how far do I keep them above the canopy?

Comment

Still looking to resolve the question of watts vs lumens and distance from plants. I just read that a plant will be "good" at 300 to 800 lumens per square foot. Very few of us would think that is totally accurate (though it may well be). My Vipar light shows its sweet spot as 622 but I think that is a PAR rating not lumens. The pic above has the light too high I believe. It is now about 6" up and much brighter on the plant. Heat isn't an issue as I can grab the bulbs even after being on for hours. But light burn? Until I see issues I'm sticking with the same distance as cfl curlies. Love to hear from some of you photon weenies.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X