Ice Water Bubble Hash Vs Dry Ice Bubble Hash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice Water Bubble Hash Vs Dry Ice Bubble Hash

I've made Ice Water Hash over 100 times over the years with various levels of success. I started in the 90s using a blender and coffee filters and now use a 15 gal RV washer and a 4 bag bubble bag set. Until recently I've only ever used dried trim. but I harvested a heat stressed plant early and tried my hand at making fresh frozen ice water hash and was very happy with the results! I started with about 630g of fresh frozen, mostly large, 3 week early buds....

​The 2 marbles in front rivaled what I've seen at Med Men in LA and other dispensaries!

But I was wondering about Dry Ice hash and what it would be like to enjoy the fruits of your labor the same day as harvest........... So when the other 2 AK47s were ready 3 weeks later, I gave it a go!!

On Tuesday I chopped and wet-manicured the 2 AK47s and put all the small and underdeveloped butd and wet trim in the freezer. Wednesday I took a ride over to Chilly Willy's amd picked up 10lbs (The minimum purchase and more than I needed) of dry ice.

I had 2 nearly identical 200g (The bags are 50g) bags of fresh frozen, mostly small and/or underdeveloped buds and trim to process....

I put one of the bags in a 5 gal bucket with about 3lbs of fist-sized pieces of Dry Ice and stirred with a length of PVC pipe.....I put a lid on and waited 10 minutes for it to chill

Then, I put the 73u bubble bag over the top.......

I flipped over and gently shook the bucket over a black trim tray......It didn't take very long for the pure white trichs to start raining out onto the tray! I've never in my life seen sch clarity!!

I repeated the process, with the 120u orange bag and the 220u work bag shaking until tired,changing bags only when the sitf stopped appearing on the black tray......The yield was beyond expectaion with 3 distinct qualities with one in the middle (73u bag) having the best clarity of anything I've ever seen anywhere!

I could have pressed it right then, but I was out of time, so I threw it in the freezer and went down to the grow room clean up and made 2 unexpected discoveries: The first one, was that the Borderliner Extreme that was next to the sublimating Dry Ice was suddenly 6" taller! No shit!! The second, was a copious amount of quality hash still stck to the sides of the bucket! I added another 1.5g to the yield

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200124_145033.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	370128

So lets compare the two processes
    Cost
    Ice Water Method 3 x $3.89 10lb bags of Ice $12

Dry Ice Method 10lb bag of Dry Ice $22

While the cost is really not much of a factor here, Chilly Willys, the closest Dry Ice establishment is also a 20min drive each way making it much more of a pain in the ass to get than the 2 minute drive to the supermarket or gas station for regular ice.

Time
    Ice Water Method Processing: including soak, chill, settling and collection times for 6 washes (2 batches) 5 hours Drying: 4 Days
    Total: 101 Hours

Dry Ice Method Processing, including stirring, shaking, waiting and collection: 2 hours Drying: 1Day
    Total: 26 hours

This is a no-brainer. Not only is it more than 3 days faster than the ice water method, it's so much cleaner with no messy freezing cold water, ice and slushy bud to clean up. The Dry Ice simply turns into vapor, leaving a bucket full of slightly damp bud material that's easily dried and made into butter

Yield
    Ice Water Method: Starting Material:630g of fresh-frozen 3 week premature bud (large nugs)
    3 Qualities,
    Total Yield: 20.00g

Dry Ice Method Starting Material: 400g of fresh frozen, mostly smaller and under-developed bud and trim
    3 Qualities
    Total Yield: 22.27g

Not only did I yield 2g+ more hash from the dry ice method, I used a 3rd less starting material to get it ! The top-quality hash from the dry ice method was the whitest hash I'd ever seen and probably the best I've ever made

Rosin Yield
    Ice Water Method: Starting Material:17g
    2 Qualities,
    Total Yield: 4g

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200113_133233.jpg Views:	6 Size:	2.82 MB ID:	370133
    Dry Ice Method Starting Material: 17g
    3 Qualities
    Total Yield: 3g

Here's where things started to go sideways..... I used a Nugsmasher Mini for the press and pressed all the first runs at 160f and 2nd and 3rd at 220f. I didn use press times as much as watchng for the resin to stop coming out. There are several variables here including starting material and bags. I used Nugsmasher bags with the Ice Water Method but switched to The Press Club bags for the Dry Ice Method due to a few blow-outs with the NS bags. It didn't matter, I still had blow -outs with TPC bags, but maybe one or two less due to the learning curve.......All the blow-outs were with the highest quality hash when pressed too hard. I used about 12 bags for pressing in both ice water and dry ice methods.

To be continued...

Last edited by 5Chord; 01-26-2020, 05:49 PM.

5Chord None of your pictures showed up!!
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• 5Chord
      5Chord commented
      Editing a comment
      How about now?

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      2 pics: it would be easier to see, believe it or not, if you put up a smaller pic. Rosin looks yummy!!!!!

So what's better?? I'm sure not everyone will agree, but here's what I think: Dry Ice wins! 20%+ better hash yield, superior clarity and quality hash in a fraction of the time with minimal clean up. The only cons are the dry ice is a bit more costly for small batches and while the rosin yield was lower, (25% less with the dry ice using 17g of hash), the dry ice hash was made with a 3rd less starting material so the return is about even here. But the best part of making live rosin dry ice bubble hash is that it's FUN!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200112_175757 (1).jpg
Views:	827
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	370147

Name:	20200112_151413.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	370146

Name:	20200124_183927.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	370145

Comment

First off let me start by saying Nice work!! Here are some suggestions.
      First, the starting material has way too much to do with yield and quality of final product for this experiment to be completely conclusive.
      Next time try and limit some of the variability here by starting out with the same consistency in the raw starting material and the same amount of grams into each process.
      Also, if you can run these processes under the same ambient temperature and RH, that will further validate your results.
      Lastly, the amount of filters the material passes through will have an impact on final yield. Each filter passed through will pull a small amount of material out of the total weight. This might not be much when considering the total weight..., but an 8 bag filter system will ultimately yield less than a 4 bag filter system if all other factors remain the same.
      Just things to keep in mind when designing your experiment.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        In my experience, I find dry ice hash to be less potent (could have been my technique). I believe it had more plant material contamination than my ice water hash did. But all in all, I now prefer a good ethanol extraction. Quick Cold washed.

• 5Chord
        5Chord commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have any posts on that " a good ethanol extraction. Quick Cold washed."

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is decent. It’s more toward the bottom. Tincture and quick wash. Also, I Only let it sit for 3 min or so.
        Table of Contents What is Edible Hash Oil (Cannabis Extract Oil)? What Type of Alcohol Should You Use? Do I Need to Decarb My Weed First? Tinctures & Quick Wash How to Make Hash Oil – Manual Method How to Make Hash Oil – Automated Method How Do I Use Hash Oil? by Sirius Fourside...

5Chord. This is an awesome report. I hang on every line and get hypnotized by the pictures. I have a great detailed video of the processes from a class last spring that outlines the work but your weights and measures categories fill in a few blanks I’m looking forward to. I’m subscribed and looking for the next installment

Comment

• 5Chord
        5Chord commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks bro :-)

This is my very first dry ice batch. Or any batch for that matter. Pressed it today. A friend stopped by with a small rosin press. Told him I must be really blasted because it looked like a butterfly to me. Oh well. I agree the dry ice method didn't seem too difficult and it was very clean. BUT! What I learned was to really think about shaking it out on a large mirror like I did because I was finding dust(trichs) 8 feet away on a counter. Try to shake into something and not onto something. Just my experience. Ended up with 6 of these.

Name:	Dry ice.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	370200

Comment

• 5Chord
        5Chord commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL it definitely looks like a butterfly !

smoorman I may get this for next time.....https://bubblebowlkits.com/

Comment

5Chord you can make this bucket system yourself for much less. Check out the link in my sig.
        4x4 600w HID empty for summer
        3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
        2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
        running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• 5Chord
          5Chord commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a good bag set, but that bowl set looks a lot easier, especialy with dry ice .https://bubblebowlkits.com/

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah. That makes sense. This system was designed for bubble hash. Helps regulate the water level in the bags.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X