pH pen/meter bang for buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pH pen/meter bang for buck?

I've been using old fashioned litmus strips to this point. I'm very close to needing yet another roll and realized my total $ has slowly climbed past what I'd pay for a "decent" pH pen or meter. Realizing this is simply a must do kind of thing and there are hundreds of pens that look alike with different colored plastic where do you start? I can't justify the $200 models as I'm in soil and will likely remain oriented that way for some time. All I really need is the ability to check input and runoff for the most part.
    TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
    EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
    AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
    IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

I have one these that works better than a Hannah tester that cost twice as much. Good growing !!
    Focus and relativity.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      It doesn't have very good ratings on Amazon.... Just sayin...

Blue Lab ph pen has been my choice for last 4 years - keep it clean, calibrated and it works great. 4 years ago it was $120. Also have litmus paper for backup.

edit - I have two words for checking runoff - fuck it. Don't do it, never have.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I have one like Eliot Pryor posted. I think I got a pH meter and TDS meter combo for like $13-14 (US) and they work great. I don't use them so much any more since I started with amended soil and my tap water is pretty decent. Decided to try my luck with hydro again though. I have a couple of clones and a seedling in my small 6 site tub I made myself, basically top fed DWC using a pump and some PVC. Have to reseal my bigger setup before I can pull it back out and transfer them over. Anyway, pen still works just as good as it did almost 2 years ago.

Comment

This is what I currently have. Been going on thre years strong and stays calibrated and gives readings fairly quickly. There is a temp gauge as well so I use that for peace of mind when checking my hydro bucket. There is also a replaceable probe version which is about double the price and the replacement probes are around thirty dollars(all usd prices). I think Mr.furley has a replaceable probe ph pen and would be interested to hear what he has to say about it if he does.

Comment

I keep this one soaking in pH 7 solution and it has worked great for years. Here's where I buy my solution in bulk to save $$

Meeting N.I.S.T. standards, these buffered solutions provide precise pH determinations and are ideal for calibrating electrodes and pH meters.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

This is the pen I use and the seller I bought from. I think I offered $8.50 and they accepted. Dirt cheap and works good so far for my use as a soil grower. It's the same pen as recommended on GWE but $3.50 cheaper than Amazon. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Ele...72.m2749.l2649

Comment

I've had a bunch of cheap one's, bt once I got this one 3 years ago I never looked back........https://www.getbluelab.com/shop/By+C...mbo+Meter.html Great quality and the best feature is it turns itself off!!

Comment

I’ve got the $9.00 yellow one and a $140 blue lab one. The yellow $9.00 one was a bit off in the calibration against the solutions used for the blue lab and while I really like the blue lab, the little yellow $9.00 one when calibrated equally to the right values, is faster to provide a stabilized reading and is as accurate

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X