Failure to clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failure to clone

Another set of clones about 6 days in and heading towards death most likely 😞

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191216_164721.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.11 MB ID:	357905
    they are starting to droop more and more each day. Seem to be perky after night (see above) but basically falling over by the time it's almost ready for lights to go off

It's a 35w 2 foot T5 light on a 18/6 schedule

Humidity and temps consistently in good range

Used some with gel. Some without.

Spraying once a day. Plain water no ph adjustment. Tried ph adjusted and mild nutes in the past

trimmed leaves of some. Left leaves of others.

Trying to do everything everyone told me but god damn I must be stupid or something

What am I missing?

Attached Files
    Last edited by ocgreen; 12-16-2019, 05:09 PM. Reason: Added some more details
    Up next:
    [Insert your recommendation here]

I use smaller cuttings and also have you been check your ph? I never have too because I have good tap water but I've heard ph can be a factor.

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't been checking my ph this time around. My tap water is above 7 so if there's a need for ph to be good then I guess I would need to adjust

But if I'm not feeding them any nutes do they still need ph water?

maybe getting air in the stems after cutting from mother plant. I stick my clones in water asap and then i prep it in the cup of water. After prep i cut a bit of the bottom of the stem and then lightly scrap the skin where i want roots and then back into the cup of water for a few seconds. I then proceed to stick them into rapid rooters and humidity dome. I mist twice a day with seedling nute water and check for water in the bottom of humidity dome. Usually get roots in 5-7 days
    640 watt hlg quantum board
    320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
    300 watt mars hydro sp3000
    150 watt hlg quantum board
    100 watt spider farmer led x2
    organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
    Water only i don't check ph
    6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah so I'm a bit paranoid about the air bubble thing so within like 10 sec of cutting it's in a glass of ph water and then I trim away whatever nodes and parts of leaves while it's in the water

I tried scraping sides one time but then I started worrying that's just more time out of water for air

I haven't tried seedling nute approach since I made some other adjustments so will try that and take some smaller clippings maybe

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah so if I take a clone with say 3 nodes I would take the lowest one off. Bad idea?

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      I dont think I understand. I cut the branch/stem when I clone. There's no internode at the bottom. From the pics I see roots grow out the sides of the stem.

In the picture you sent I see no issues. Sometimes it can take weeks to form roots.

If you have trouble doing it that way just put your cuttings in water. They will form roots
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20191216_164613.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	357922
    You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok great so maybe just being impatient. The last 2 times I cloned since your tips they lasted longer. The last batch died because i forgot they existed for at least a few days.....
      Last edited by ocgreen; 12-16-2019, 06:02 PM.

3 suggestions: 1) make sure your rooters are touching the water in the bottom of the tray to stay wet enough. Not soaked, but pretty damp so that they drip a little when you first pick them up. 2)Also, put your humidity dome on top of a clone/seedling heating pad, keep it about 27-28 degrees C. Keeping warm is also important. #) not too much light, you only need 2 or 3 curly CFLs to keep these babies up.
    Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      My pleasure, I hope that works.

I've had the best luck with stems in bubbling water on a heating pad. Mini-tote (shoe box size) with 1 7/8 inch holes in the top, cut with a hole saw, with cloning collars. Usually takes 4 or 5 days. Also, I've been using the goo from cut leaves of aloe for cloning gel.

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I have everything but the collars laying around so I may pick up a dozen and build one of these suckers. What do you figure the water temp was at if you're heating it with pad?

Assuming you would want it around 18C-22C?

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      I keep the pad set to about 80F/28C, but I've not measured the water temp. I just set the whole bin on top of the pad. I've also used 2" grow cup with the bottoms cut off and the collars slipped in, made more of a "snap fit" easier to pop them out to check for roots.

I tried to stick with the tutorial on GWE and I don't know if my powder is bad or what but I had 0 roots after 10 days. I soaked peat pellets and cut twist ties and poured a a bit powder into a shot glass, cuttings straight into a cup of water and did the whole process like you're supposed to. I followed it as close as I could and after 7 days & no roots, 8, 9, 10 days & no roots so I very carefully dug away the jiffy 7 pellets to find that nary a root had ever even started to grow so I started tossing them after I realized that not one cutting was going take root. I really didn't want to lose the White Widow and Sour Tangie cuttings as I had planned to hermie the tiny clones via CS and use them to pollinate their mothers so in a last ditch effort to save them I filled up a solo cup with 6.5 pH water and tossed them in. Two days later I had roots forming on 4/5, the 5th cutting started making nubs the next day.

These are the best 4 and had 0 roots whatsoever just 4 days ago when I pulled them from the peat pellets and put them in a cup. I did add seedling strength FF veg nutes with cal-mag yesterday and they're growing fast. I'll be putting them into soil as the roots get better established.starting with the obvious one tonight/tomorrow.

Name:	jiV57MK.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	357939

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey man happy for you. Glad you were able to turn it around after plunking in water and adding a bit of nutes

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitelt counts as a win!

I also want to mention again; try making cuttings out of every plant you have. You can always throw them away but it will make you really good at making clones.

That being said we make about 4k clones a year so it is easy for me.
    You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah man no doubt easy for lots of folks. Thing is, cannabis is the only thing I've ever grown successfully. And I dont own any other house plants (they died). So I am for sure going to continue to try and clone the various strains I have but cannabis is really my only option at this point 😅

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Ps. Started growing cannabis less than a year ago 🤭

Not saying you guys are wrong but the last time I let a clone sit in water the stem just rot. So I panicked and made sure the bottom of clones wasn’t wet and they all made it after that. No need for water at the stem because there are no roots that’s why you have to mist them and keep them wet at the foliage because that’s where they take in the water. That being said I have left some in just a cup of water and they rooted. Best gel to use is aloe Vera gel fresh. I have a plant outside when I do cuttings or water my plants I use some fresh gel. Why is it best because aloe Vera has rooting hormones also helps with stress and builds up your plants (SAR)I have done side by side with clonex and I get similar results so I regret ever buying that shhhhht. I love GWE but for new growers they always recommend buying this buying that but a lot of the things including nutrients can be made at home.

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Cali thanks. Someone else mentioned aloe so I think I'm going to buy an aloe plant and try to clone from it. Makes a nice houseplant (assuming it survives this time) as a bonus

I tried the cup of water method a couple times and it didn't work. I dont know how something so easy for everyone else can be so hard for me but here we are lol

Got some good tips as part of this thread and gonna take a new batch tonight. Thanks again

I've heard of this air cloning method before, but have never tried it. Clone stays strong out of the gate as it is being fed all the while root development is taking place. https://overgrow.com/t/clone-box-jus...ou-think/25716

Comment

• starramus
      starramus commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup many substitutions for the "box".

• starramus
      starramus commented
      Editing a comment
      Old Betty my wife's gardening friend roots rose clones by splitting a potato and surrounding a lower stem with it. Lots of possibilities.

• WeirdWiredWolf
      WeirdWiredWolf commented
      Editing a comment
      Huh, haven't heard of that one before. Tempted to try it for my next clone...just need to know how watering is handled (misting/potato in dish of water/etc)

Just want to say thanks again to everyone who responded. This community is such a great resource.

I'm going to take another wave of clones tonight and keep going on the batch pictured above.

Make some changes based on advice and hope for the best

Going to be a celebration if I finally get some roots one day ✌
    Up next:

Comment

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      You got this, yo. Don't forget to take one cutting and simply drop the end straight into a half liter drinking water bottle, no bubbles, just change the water every few days. It would be funniest if the simplest method worked best.

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      ocgreen it's gonna happen, what there all telling you is true. One day you'll be surprised how really simple once you get going it is. You'll start taking so many little stems off and plunking them in ph alittle dab of cloneing gel or ? I like to gentle scape the stems dip in water dip in gel plunk in ph water place in warm area. From then on seems like every time I do some trimming I look at it and say clone. It gets habit forming for me LOL

ocgreen same here I cut a branch and cut all the nodes except the top one and a couple of fan leafs that’s all you need. The roots grow out the bottom of the stem. Not from a mode unless I’m confused

Comment

Air movement helps. And spraying once per day does not.
      I never spray clones directly. For the first 2-3 days I’ll put the humidity dome on and spray the inside of the dome. If you continuously spray, they will never search for water by growing roots.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• ocgreen
        ocgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok so just spray inside of dome instead.but as the rooter starts to dry do I just leave it?

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        You want the medium to go through wet-dry cycles. The trick is to not get it too wet or too dry. There-in lies the difficulty. After you get the feel for your environment, it becomes easier. If you are not artificially controlling the environment, then what practices worked in winter may not work for summer conditions. Practice.

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        In my experience with rapid rooters and similar spongy rooters, I let mine go from wet enough to where a couple drops come out if you give a light squeeze, and let it dry to point of not being shiny-wet, but still damp to the touch, and definitely not getting light brown.

Took a bunch more clones tonight.

on the left i have the original 5-6 which must be close to a week old and drooping as you can see.

In the mid I have 5-6 gorilla zkittlez or mokums tulip. They went in 6.4 ph water within a few secs after getting cut and then rapid rooters soaked in same

On right side I have 5-6 same as mid. Only difference is guys soaked immediately in low nute solution which includes cal.mag. they went into rooters soaked in same.

Name:	20191217_223549.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	358285

full house now

Name:	20191217_223612.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	358286
      Plus I got a couple wild cards sitting in a cup of 6.4 ph water old school

Name:	20191217_225957.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	358287

2 of the old school are from a sticky icky jack herer I'm harvesting tomorrow

If they all die I dont know what to say

Let me know if you see something I'm doing wrong
      Up next:

Comment

• ocgreen
        ocgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah this is a last ditch effort to save a beautiful pheno. All my attempts to clone from this plant died up until this point.

Maybe I get lucky

• DingusKhan
        DingusKhan commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you should use that cup for the solo cup grow!

• ocgreen
        ocgreen commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol not a bad idea

I have personally not had any trouble from spraying the clones directly, once every few days. The leaves do accept some water through their surface pores, helps keep hydrated in the absence of roots. Some even foliar with a light nutrient solution.

Let them dry off the next day because if they stay constantly wet, they will may get moldy. Just take the dome off to let them dry off, the day after spraying. Then spray the inside of the dome before covering. You should only have to do this once or twice before your clones are showing roots.

As with anything, don't overdo it.
      Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Spraying the clones directly increases the chances for mold. Spraying the inside of the dome creates enough humidity for that to happen with out directly contacting the leaves. I’m not saying your way doesn’t work, I’m just saying if you are losing tons of clones...try not spraying them directly.

JDU I have the same question can you explain your process?

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X