What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you use?

Hello GWE I am at that point in my grow where the buds are filling in. I know its not harvest time yet. What do you prefer a jewlers loupe or a pocket digital microscope to inspect the trichomes? I know im going to need one sooner then later. Thanks
    Vivosun 2 X 4 X 5 grow tent
    Viparspectra 450W and 300W LED
    Vivosun 4" inline duct fan with carbon scrubber
    2 small 6" fans
    Promix HP
    GH Flora Trio with CalMag

Pocket microscope will give a much better view of what is happening
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

I have tried several small microscopes. I finally settled on this one. Bought it at an independent toy store for $10.99. It works like a champ. It's spring loaded to clamp on your phone (I use an iPhone). When you put it on the phone the light comes on. It has an auto set magnification but you can also use the zoom feature on the phone. I also have the jewelers loop but the microscope works better, at least for me.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• SmashGuitar
      SmashGuitar commented
      Editing a comment
      I seen those and wondered if they were any good. Thanks
      golfnrl

Personally, i have a jewelers loupe and a pocket microscope. I actually prefer the loupe as it is easier to use imo though detail is not as good as the microscope. I like the loupe to see overall condition of trichs as it is easier to see a larger area than the microscope. It really is personal preference. Been thinking of getting a phone attachment but i need a new phone first!

Another tip. The phone i have (while really old) takes pretty good pics with the flash that you can zoom in and see trich color. Attached photo doesnt do it justice as the phone zoom cleans the pic up a bit.

Comment

• SmashGuitar
      SmashGuitar commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried on my outdoor grow to use my phone buy i found my phone just was not enough.I got a pocket microscope but eventaully will look into a jewelers loupe. Thanks Tersky
      Last edited by SmashGuitar; 12-03-2019, 01:46 AM.

I use a couple of cheap jeweler's loupes but I want to get a usb microscope soon.

Comment

• SmashGuitar
      SmashGuitar commented
      Editing a comment
      I looked on amazon and seen some nice jeweler's loupe's. I think i will look at getting one in the future. Thanks FunkyButtLovin

hey SmashGuitar , i just ordered this USB/wireless magnifier. Just started playing with it last night....The mounting stand is kinda cheap but im gonna rig up something a little more solid. Took a few pics of my last bud harvest trying to get the hang of it.
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

Tent
    Bruce Banner
    Kushy Kush
    2Cookies and cream

Comment

• SmashGuitar
      SmashGuitar commented
      Editing a comment
      That does take nice pictures!

Originally posted by homegrown View Post
    hey SmashGuitar , i just ordered this USB/wireless magnifier. Just started playing with it last night....The mounting stand is kinda cheap but im gonna rig up something a little more solid. Took a few pics of my last bud harvest trying to get the hang of it.
    Yeah I've got one of those out in the barn. The base that comes with it is very unstable. They do make a pro base that is far better for an additional 20 + bucks which I found worth it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I keep my Celestron in the office in the house.

Comment

I use a cheap microscope.
      Focus and relativity.

Comment

• SmashGuitar
        SmashGuitar commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol i just looked it up on amazon and i will not deliver to me. I live in a city of 1 million up north! I ended up going with a wireless pocket microscope. Thanks Eliot Pryor

• Eliot Pryor
        Eliot Pryor commented
        Editing a comment
        Strange ? I have 2 of them and a regular 40x loupe and a headband light/magnifier. I been looking at tric's for 6 years. Still learning.

Thanks everyone for all your input. I just ordered this i think it might be the same one homegrown has. I think it would be cool to zoom in on insects etc. Click image for larger version

Name:	71mHgPF+8dL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	354290
      Vivosun 2 X 4 X 5 grow tent
      Viparspectra 450W and 300W LED
      Vivosun 4" inline duct fan with carbon scrubber
      2 small 6" fans
      Promix HP
      GH Flora Trio with CalMag

Comment

• homegrown
        homegrown commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol SmashGuitar, they do look exactly the same except for the name and bottom base.I had thought about a jewelers loop and a phone microscope. But my hands shake so much i cant get a clear pic without something to rest my phone on. At least with this, i can focus it, then snap the pic using my phone and not have to touch the microscope itself.

I used a student style microscope and couple different jewelers loupes then found a microscope app for my phone. Allows me to take pictures and see up close. This picture was under a HPS so is yellow
      I bet Bob Marley's mansion
      has a garden in the back
      Where he's growing something special
      Some celestial homemade hash
      we'll sit down on his front porch
      And listen to the angels band
      Until then I'll sing I'll fly away with a fat onefin my hand

Comment

• SmashGuitar
        SmashGuitar commented
        Editing a comment
        I think your right Woodsman67 i will eventually have a few different ones and use them all lol

I use the wireless microscope. It does its job but the poor construction of the device means living with some issues.

One thing that I had a problem with was trying to hold the microscope against a bud...look at me phone...adjust the focus...hold my hand steady...... Well you get the idea. So I used an old articulating desk lamp from ikea and repurposed it to be a camera boom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8160146C-6F72-4201-9A24-9A0E5A26A7FA.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	354468

Ive since moved on from the way the base was fastened to my rack in that pic. I now have the base clamped to a piece of wood that I clamp onto an ultralight step ladder.

Pics are ok

Name:	E2F2B1DE-FB33-4A8E-9A6A-0557D208392F.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	354469

Name:	E4678529-A68C-41FD-9CB4-A75873261FFC.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	354470
      The design flaw that irritates the feck outta me is the zoom/focus adjustment ring. When I rotate mine, the scope focal lens barrel wobbles inside the body barrel...so whatever I was trying to see is totally out of the view of the lense.
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• homegrown
        homegrown commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahaha YYCannabis, i've just realized the exact same thing...i try and focus on something but it decides to look elsewhere. WTF. I have the same articulating arm from a magnifying lamp which broke where the light mounted. It works good for you? as long as its mounted to something solid? OR should i try something else?

• YYCannabis
        YYCannabis commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup. It’s a pissoff. STAY STILL YOU LITTLE FECKER!!!! Is often heard being yelled into my tent 🤣

• SmashGuitar
        SmashGuitar commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are some very good pictures for sure. I like the idea of using an articulating desk lamp. I am shaky also! I might have to look into something to hold/stabilize it. Thanks YYCannabis

It works very well. “Use what ya got to make it do what you need it to do” is one of my mantras first DIYing stuff. Just make sure the base is clamped to something solid so it doesn’t tumble onto your precious plants.
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• SmashGuitar
        SmashGuitar commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes the base does look cheap small and not enough for support!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X