Determining the sex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Determining the sex?

This is my first time growing. After about five weeks in vegetative phase, I switched to 12/12. I'm now on day 10 in flowering stage. I have three plants and from studying pics on this site I was pretty sure they were female. But now I'm not so sure. I think I see hairs but really, I have no clue. Lol Please help if you can.

Hello susieque
    The purple picture is no help for picking out details and the second picture is a little blurry so I wouldn't want to guess.
    At ten days of flower you should have "pistils" can you post a couple more pictures in nature light?
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

These are best shots I could get.
      Last edited by susieque; 11-21-2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry I still can't see the shot need to determine sex in your pictures so let's try this.

Female with pistils
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20191121_171657.png
Views:	408
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	351388 male with sacks

Name:	20191121_171738.png
Views:	388
Size:	897.1 KB
ID:	351389

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          JDU
          The male is Flowering the female was perflower

I think they are females. I will keep checking. I have not seen anything that looks like this male pic.

Thanks.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          I would just wait alittle more. I just tossed one it came from reg. seed full on cluster of grapes. They can swell over night one day look like calyx next day round balls 3-4 in a cluster. I've had them in 12/12 14days now, they are 11wks from seed.

the next week should be more reveling Mr Furley gave you a great example , In your last pic you have a stem that curled up to the next node see how the pistils are crossed this is an indication its a female ,the best way to tell is by pollen sacs but you have to look everyday, so assume there female but check often lol , If your growing Reg seeds there is a way to influence the sex by outside influences .
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Here is a better picture of a male plant in preflower, they most likely needs a 12/12 light switch to progress any further.

Name:	20181001_212353.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	351810 take a minute to find the pictures not alot of peeps mess with males.

Comment

These are two that are forming buds. Yay! So these are girls, right? Those are white hairs?

Comment

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes they are, good to hear.
              On another note do you have a microscope or magnifying glass, I'm curious about the spots on the leaves in the second picture.

This is another plant. It is a compact plant that I have used LST on. I check a few times a day trying to see if it develops balls. Here is hoping I get a firm NO soon.
            Last edited by susieque; 11-26-2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              Watch this one close, the first pictures looking like a male if it develops a "pair" time to go.

Here is better shot of the last plant.

looked with magnifying glass at the "spots" you noticed. (On the other plant!) They are a pattern right in the leaves. I suspect from pipe cleaner manipulation on young leaves.

Comment

I used pipe cleaners for LST. Sometimes they would slip up onto the leaf part overnight and I would move them back down to the stem. I think that is what has made those imprints on the leaves that you noticed, Mr. Furley. And, thank you for responding to my query. Like I said, this is my absolute, first grow...and just from seeds my son saved from his smoke. I had five plants and give two away as I only have a small area.

I made my own grow box (just before the switch to 12/12) that is 24" x 22" plywood bottom with cardboard sides and roof It is about 31" high. Inside is covered with mylar on all four sides. I have one 24 watt LED light emitting wavelengths of 660 nm 630 nm 460 nm. I started them at 24 hours of light a day, switching to 18/6 about five days before going 12/12. One plant was 6 weeks and the other four were 5 weeks when the switch to 12/12 made. I didn't wait longer to switch as I have such limited space. This is a learning experience.

I have been feeding them with 15-30-15 mixed at first to 1/4 strength every 2nd watering and now 1/2 strength every watering. Grow friends tell me they look wonderful. I am quite surprised that the small light seems to be sufficient for light, at least thus far. Guess we shall see how it goes from here.

Comment

• Mr.furley
                Mr.furley commented
                Editing a comment
                Well susieque they are looking good for that light for sure so just keep doing what you are doing, just keep a close eye on the one plant for male tendencies and any spots on your Leafs for problems. Lots of helpful folks on here to help you out through your first grow and I look forward to seeing you harvest.
                Good luck.

Okay!! That questionable plant is a girl!!! Although, her buds are so miniature compared to my other two.

I took pic with teaspoon beside bud for comparison. It is like a dwarf...

Comment

• Mr.furley
                Mr.furley commented
                Editing a comment
                Happy news, thanks for updating us.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X