White foam on top of water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO White foam on top of water

Hey running a 40G rdwc system using cultured solutions for nutes. Curious if anyone else ever has any white foam on top of there water ever. No smell. Just foam and maybe a little brownish residue on sides of buckets above water line. Not a new system but was bleached and cleaned before this run. Did notice on last run also now that I think about it. Any one have any ideas or ever have this. Thansk in advance.

Likely it is a mix of dissolved organic material. You’ll develop compounds in the solution that exchange with the plant as it feeds. You can scoop it off or just not worry about it as you’ll be doing reservoir changes which will dilute the mix anyway. That is called foam fractionation or “air stripping or protein skimming”. Of course the answer here is predicated on the belief you have air stones in the reservoir.

heres a dumb example: if you pee in A toilet bowl and later whip the water around to cause it to foam, that foam is the urine concentrating as the air creates the compound. If you were to continually remove the foam, you’d eventually reduce the contained water back to its original purity.... BUT ...I AINT TASTIN’ IT

Comment

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. Didnt know it had a name! And maybe we should call Bear Grylls for the urine test!

• HatRack
      HatRack commented
      Editing a comment
      Lots of air rubber tube rings in each bucket and also main rez I have been suckin the foam off the top with vac to see if it eventually dissapears. It's not real bad but noticeable. I also have 3/4 waterfall lines going into the top of the buckets so prob more air than most but I run low ppm. And heavy on the uc roots to try and combat whatevrr is goin on if anything.
      Last edited by HatRack; 11-20-2019, 10:06 PM.

Curious what nutes you are using. If they are organic then that might be why. I know with synthetics i have never had a foaming issue (yes i use air stones) and have only heard of foaming when some kind of organic material (bacteria) is introduced to the res. It could be fine, that i dont know. If it were me i would see it as a sign that something contaminated my res as i use non-organic nutes and should never have a foaming issue. But in your case i'm not sure. If you are worried or if you notice any changes in the plant or smell of the roots i would do a res change IMO. Thats my 2 cents.

Comment

• HatRack
      HatRack commented
      Editing a comment
      Have done rez changes and am using cultured solutions so sterile rez. And yes my concerns are bacterial related. Seems like I don't remember having foam the first time I used this system. But I clean and bleach system and flush well I between so I'm kinda confused

• Farmall
      Farmall commented
      Editing a comment
      Instead of bleach< go with a hydrogen peroxide solution, safer fit the plants

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      I would use H2O2 to clean as well. You can actually add like a tsp per gal directly to the res to kill any bacteria, but the problem i have found with H2O2 in the res is that you have to keep adding it or the bacteria is likely to return as the H2O2 also kills any good bacteria (like Hydroguard). That said, since i started using hydroguard every res change i have not had any issue with root rot/bacterial infections

I lowered my air pressure and did not have as much foam, but the real fix was adding a root inoculant. The foam just went away with the next nutrient change.
    Now its part of my weekly change out, and I have not seen foam.
    One caveat to this, I did paint the outside of my containers. Because if a slime I was feeling on the insides of the tub, made me think, light was getting thru and algae was growing and dying (Hence the foam) .
    I think the inoculant was the answer, but giving paint fair play.
    Last edited by RagWeedDWC; 11-20-2019, 11:50 AM.
    Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
    A tale of two seeds
    Batter Up Sour Deisel
    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• RagWeedDWC
      RagWeedDWC commented
      Editing a comment
      I did not want to push a brand name, but I use Hydroguard.

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      I use hydroguard too. It helps immensely with root rot and bacterial issues. Only thing i dont like about Hydroguard is the shelf life. Root inoculate i have found to be vital to hydro grows.

• HatRack
      HatRack commented
      Editing a comment
      Do any of you guys use uc roots or have any experience with using both hydroguard and uc

Great Visual Tersky for skimming :-)
    Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
    A tale of two seeds
    Batter Up Sour Deisel
    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

Don't worry about the foam. It's completely natural. The root inoculant should've been used since you started. Never go a res without it. I find foam buildup to be at its highest when my reservoirs have any kind of sugars added to it. I personally use Floranectar. It foams somewhat during the first day or two. You can either scoop the foam out, or mix it back into the water. Neither will change anything. As for lowering the air pump, that's exactly NOT what to do. Lowering D.O. levels only promotes bacterial growth and problems. Boil that reservoir as hard as you can
      Perpetual harvest
      Sealed Room
      Full hydro
      Ebb and Flow
      Hydroton Media
      600w HPS
      GH Nutrients

Current Grow:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...icture-journal

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:

Comment

• HatRack
        HatRack commented
        Editing a comment
        i use uc roots so not surr about hydroguard.

HatRack I've never used UC Roots but I personally use Hydrogaurd and have used it since I began Hydroponics. I've never experienced root rot. I run a 4 reservoir room, 50 gal res with lids off, light exposed, I run them 7-10 days sometimes (in emergencies) up to 13 with multiple top offs. If you properly aerate the water, keep your reservoir under 74° F, and apply Hydrogaurd every fill but flush, you'll be cherry all cycle long.🤙🏼
      Perpetual harvest
      Sealed Room
      Full hydro
      Ebb and Flow
      Hydroton Media
      600w HPS
      GH Nutrients

Current Grow:

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:

Comment

• RagWeedDWC
        RagWeedDWC commented
        Editing a comment
        That has been my experience from the first time I started using it.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X