Please help me germinate my seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me germinate my seeds

I have been using the paper towel method, successfully, for two grows. I get a couple of layers of the paper towels and put the seeds in between and add water. I put them in a warm, dark place (a cabinet that is underlit so the bulb acts like a warming pad).

But I have so far, in two tries, failed to sprout anything. Different genetics. Like 14 seeds wasted. Seeds purchased at different times. All within the last 20 months.

If anyone would like to share how you germinate, what I am doing wrong, counsel, advice, guidance on getting seeds to sprout I am all ears - and thanks in advance.

I dont use the paper towel method. I do a 3 min H2O2 soak then soak in shot glass of water until taproot comes out enough for me to see which direction to plant seed. This is usually 24-48 hrs. They float in the beginning and sink when germinated usually but i like to wait until i can see the taproot. Dont soak longer than 48 hrs as this can kill the seed. When the taproot is out i plant seed and move to lighting. I have very good germination even with 2-3 year old seeds.

It could be getting zapped by customs if nothing has germinated. Where are you getting seeds from? I have read that sometimes customs will x-ray seeds and kill them but still let them through, though i have never experienced it myself.

Comment

I'm p'rt nigh 99% on the paper towel method. However many I've sprouted, only one dud comes to mind. One part H2O2 to four parts water is my method. I leave them on my dresser in my bedroom, whatever the light and temperature, it doesn't seem to matter. The towels and seeds and liquid and such stay in a clear Tupperware with the lid on but loose. I only have to wet the towels the one time at the beginning. Never a need for a second.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

I use my wife's old Aero Garden. 100% germination every time.

Comment

• BlueberryGIrl
          BlueberryGIrl commented
          Editing a comment
          that is way cool. never heard of it.

• homegrown
          homegrown commented
          Editing a comment
          hey@kingfish, with that Aero Garden do you sprout seed first or just add directly to grow pod? thats a neat little unit. seeds get everything they need to germinate.

• kingfish
          kingfish commented
          Editing a comment
          homegrown, You just soak the little plugs and put your seed in point down and go. If they are fresh seeds, in about 2 days you can see them come up.

I use the paper towel method as well with a very good success rate. HOWEVER, I have found that certain strains do not like this method particularly strains that are hydroponically inclined. I can name a few strains-even called up the company and had a chat about their seeds because they wouldn't sprout in my paper towel method. if the strain, in its review, states that it is best for hydroponic growing then do not do the paper towel method. and if the strain company states a certain germination method then follow that. genetics and hybridising.

Comment

Be careful to not get them too warm. Or too wet once the tap root shows and you've transferred them to your growing medium. I use peat plugs. 10 plugs plus enclosure for $3-$4 at lowes home depot Etc. I soak my peat plugs (as many as I'm planting) in ph'd water and then squeeze a bit of the water out. You don't want them soaking wet. Poke a hole with the end of a ball point pen 3/8" or so deep drop in the seed and lightly cover with the peat plug material. I also soak a empty one just as a moisture reservoir then set the enclosure across my cable modem or router. Never on the warmest spot. If you can just bridge the enclosure between them with the seeds in the middle that's good. If some condensation shows up in the enclosure that's good. I've drowned a few seeds before realizing too much water or warmth is not good. I've also just dropped the seeds in a shot glass and waited for the white tap root to show and then transfer to coco or peat pot or dirt whatever. Are you in a legal state? Keep asking the questions. You'll get there.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20191116_190902_resized.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	350107

Comment

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            I forgot about these. I tried three of my bagseeds and none even grew a taproot. My only unsuccess compared to dirt and towels.

In the end, really, I mean, you can never go wrong with your basic soil sowing. Bygod! If it's good enough for nature, it's usually good enough for me after a little manipulation.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

i soak my seeds first,12-15 hrs then use the paper towel method, keep them warm ..99% success rate. only had one seed just never do anything..probably a dud.
            Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
            Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
            6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
            Canna Coco/perlite
            General Hydroponics Flora Series
            Cal/Mag.

Comment

spend 13 minutes and watch this YouTube video,

Comment

My favorite subject. I have rotted and otherwise destroyed poor little seeds hundreds of times. It in itself is an art, whether veggies, herbs or Herb. After what seemed like millions of bits of advice, videos and experiments I have to say temp seems to the #1 issue. I use a seed mat to ensure temp stays around 74 deg F. Either shotglass method or 2 ceramic saucers with a paper towel between them and use a bottle filtered water with a capful of hydrogen peroxide in it (H202 as mentioned above) and I literally have 100% germ in 48 hrs everytime. this is a combo I have used from lots of good advice and after seeing pro seed germination for veggies. If you want or need more info of pics I'd be happy to provide!
                I bet Bob Marley's mansion
                has a garden in the back
                Where he's growing something special
                Some celestial homemade hash
                we'll sit down on his front porch
                And listen to the angels band
                Until then I'll sing I'll fly away with a fat onefin my hand

Comment

I germinate my seeds directly in their final destination: the pot. I simply fill my pot with soil, insert a germination bag to help retain moisture around the seed, and then water the whole pot in (soak, but not to runoff if you’re in supersoil like me). Then plant the seeds and watch them grow! 100% success rate. Dead simple/easy.
                  Last edited by s62; 11-17-2019, 07:36 AM.
                  Gorilla 3x3
                  LEC 315
                  Kind Soil
                  Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

This past summer whilst starting my seeds in spring, wish I could of taken better note from whom I purchased what from way back when I bought them. I had to restart many seeds do to old or radiation? I don't know but my tried and true soak and papertowel was giving me problems with these seeds. So sometimes I think age and storage also what they go through from supplier to us has a role. My 2 cents
                    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                    indoor/outdoor grower
                    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Yep, I just read an article on the exact same topic. Oddly, the author said two yrs is the average while some will germinate 10yrs from now but it depend on handling, storage and anything that could have happened between the shipper and the receiver

Comment

Thank you for all the great posts - much appreciated. I have been traveling for work all week and just got to catch up. It was great to come home to.

Since I do not hit the road again until 12/2 I am determined to get a crop going. The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result. So with that in mind I am going to abandon the paper towels. (Nothing against it. I had 95% germination with that method up to now).

Going to try the soak'em until the tap root shows and get'em in peat/soil method.

Please send out your good vibes as well as any additional counsel, advice and guidance for this method. :-)

Comment

• s62
                          s62 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Why not try just straight to soil? Less things to mess up, really. Just pre-water and plant for me. Though germination bags do help!

Hey billyboy. 🎼‘I’m sendin’ out good vib-ra-tions’.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X