Funky foot smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Funky foot smell

Been battling high humidity recently. Dont see anything growing on the plants but as of yesterday they have a distinct smell reminiscent of toe cheese :-( 2.5 weeks into flower. Using a grow tent. Working on increasing airflow and decreasing humidity. Humidity has been 65+. Got an ozone generator function on one of the machines. Trying to get fresh air in the room regularly but any tips or treatments to fight the mold and stop its growth? First time grower. Leave the intake and exhaust fans on 24.7 but the exhaust is into the same room. Getting another dehumidifier. Are the plants ruined?

I get the same smells into flowering. Sometimes smells like weed, sometimes smells like funky.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

Sometimes "funky" smells indicate root rot.

Comment

Sooo... what is the strain. Some strains smell like cheese. About 2 weeks they start to smell, some more than others.Are you in hydro, soil, coco? If hydro, how do your roots look? Why do you have an intake fan? Having an exhaust fan is more than enough because of the negative pressure inside the tent will automatically draw air in as long as there is an opening for air to come in. I find adding a intake fan is a waste of energy and actually raises humidity in some cases, especially if your environment is on the humid side. Other than that, how do the plants look, are they sick?

EDIT: Also meant feet smell as well. A lot of the cheese strains kinda smell like feet imo.
        Last edited by Tersky; 10-31-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• kingfish
          kingfish commented
          Editing a comment
          New strain. "Toe Cheese Indica".

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          Mmmm... cheese...

Hi SFL I'd say look very carefully and closely at all the buds; are they each in their own space,no colas or buds leaning up against each other? I'm also battling high humidity in the final weeks of flowering, and I'm eyeing them like a hawk once or twice a day, making sure buds aren't leaning up against each other.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Hello from PNW dry and very cold here now but you only being 2.5wks since switch or do you have budlets? Too early for "toe cheese smell" in my opinon you got root rot or standing water runoff? You want to pull your branches away from eachother like the above have mentioned.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• StickFigureLover
            StickFigureLover commented
            Editing a comment
            just watered the plants again and noticed that the smell has come back :-( not sure that it is a mold smell but it is kind of a musty odor. been using a supplement called "root complex" by hesi. It is supposed to help with the roots. So not sure about root rot. Maybe standing water is the problem. Notice some water comes out towards the bottom of the fabric pots into the dishes. But I got perlite in the dishes under the pots so it is difficult to see if there is standing water in them. Guess I could remove them and dig through the perlite and see how wet it is underneath. Been running the dehumidifier 24.7 as much as possible anyway, between emptying the tank

• StickFigureLover
            Editing a comment
            Oh yeah definitely have some budlets popping up. Lots of them actually

$35 Canadian - Amazon - Vivosun clip on oscillating fan - 2 speeds 90 degree oscillation. Clips right onto your pole - 6 inch fan. Makes the girls do the funky shake. I just bought 3.
          Attached Files
          ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
          Mars Hydro
          Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Thanks for all the tips everybody. Sorry i have not yet figured out how to reply to specific comments. The smell seems to have abated. Got a big dehumidifier. Also been using an air filter machine. Seems like they helped. Now in the 45-50%rh range. Still caught a slight wiff but nothing like last week.

​​​​As far as strains not sure. Could be cheese related. Soil-peat mix in fabric pots. 2 are more sativa-y and 2 more on the kush side. Top of the Kush ones have a few flowers sort of touching each other. Will try to do somehow separate them.

​​​​two fans but have been only running the one above the canopy because been painting pollen (males in separate room) on a few of the lower flowers. After which both fans are off for awhile. Need seeds for the future. Hopefully won't pollenate the upper flowers accidentally. Thinking to just remove lower fan.

Not sure about standing water runoff. Got perlite under the fabric pots so not sure about dish water levels. But watering ~ twice a week. 1 liter each at a time. Using ferts both times. Speaking of watering is dehumidifier water ok to use for plants?

Speaking of flowering how many weeks can it take to fully mature? Pistils are all mostly white but noticed a few on the lower stems are turning red. About three weeks into flower. Super excited.

Using intake fan to bring in air at ground level. Negative pressure seems to bring air in ok but the observation window a foot about ground level. Seems like the intake fan did increase the tent humidty. De humidifier really helped. Thanks again for the tips!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191107_171119.png
Views:	577
Size:	853.6 KB
ID:	347859
              You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	comment.png
Views:	578
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	347863
              More elephant!

Coco/perlite
              3x3x6

Comment

StickFigureLover You say the smell is back? You must determine where it's coming from, so you have so get close and smell the pot; is it coming from within the soil, or is it up top, coming from the leaves? If it's coming from within the pot, it could be a root problem like root rot. I'm a hydro grower, so I'm not sure how you handle that in soil.
              Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
              2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
              Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• StickFigureLover
                Editing a comment
                Hi bud. I believe that the smell is coming from one of the supplements that i used called Nutrizyme. It seems to smell like this stuff for a few days after watering. Another issue is that the grow room is a sealed system. Try to get some fresh air in there on windy days but the window is very small and the air is getting cold. Overall the plants seem ok 6 weeks into flowet. Other than some small and larfy lower branch nugs. And lack of many kolas due to trimming inexperience. They got that christmas tree shape :-/ going to have to do some soon though as a few of the lower branches are growing into the tent wals :--/

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X