Switching back and forth between artificial light and natural light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching back and forth between artificial light and natural light

Other than pests is there any other cons to bringing a plant outside during the day and then brining in a night? I did this with my first grow but I had so many mistakes I don’t know if that was one.

I had great success with using natural light but only 5 hrs a day , and thru a window, and only during the April- June. After that the sun doesn't shine in that window.

Comment

Height could be an issue. Plants tend to grow taller in natural light. In a grow room you only have so much space to work with (unless you have 15-20 ft high ceilings). Plants double height (at least) in flower so indoor growers try to make their plants short and squaty in preparation for flower stretch. In a 6 ft tent only 3-4ft is actually available for the plant because pot height, light size, and distance to canopy needed for the light. It depends on the lights and equipment mind you. That would be a con for me but if you have the space then it shouldn't be a problem

Comment

• dbdDemon
        dbdDemon commented
        Editing a comment
        I have about 60 inches for plant growth, right now I am still learning the process from start to finish once I know I have most of my mistakes fixed and I have a good process in place from baby to flower then I plan on concentrating on how to learn to train them better for the area I have. So much to learn.

• Tersky
        Tersky commented
        Editing a comment
        No worries. Im sure you'll iron out the details and figure out a way to make it work. It's definitely a learning process and i learn new things every day. I've never considered taking my plants outside cause i could get arrested, but if i could, and make it work i probably would.

Depends on what the source of artificial light is. Incandescent lights are no bueno my friend. HPS or LED grow lights are all good. But for best results, make sure either way to include some UV in the artificial source. Especially if we are talking end of flower cycle.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• dbdDemon
        dbdDemon commented
        Editing a comment
        I am using t5 for veg and leds for flower, I can’t change setting on the leds I have. I had a lot of mistakes with my lighting the first grow I did. I am under 12 inch distance for my t5, still figuring out out distance for my leds, but I think I am close.

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t see an issue with light switching back and forth in this case.

Originally posted by dbdDemon View Post
      Other than pests is there any other cons to bringing a plant outside during the day and then brining in a night? I did this with my first grow but I had so many mistakes I don’t know if that was one.
      When weather permits I do it regularly. I have 4 mother plants which I will bring up out of the basement and put outside my garage back door. I have CFLs set up just inside the door to extend the lighting period, and keep them in the vegetative stage. Keeps my electric bill somewhat in line.

Comment

• dbdDemon
        dbdDemon commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea on the saving on the light bill, gives me couple of ideas for mine next summer. Thanks.

I took the ladies out every time weather permitted this summer. Just cant beat that sunshine. Only had an issue once and i forgot to put the pots on something other than concrete..they let me know in about an hour that it was way to warm. got pretty droopy but perked right back up once i moved them to the shade. I just grabbed an old piece of plywood and screwed 4 wheels to the bottom, that way i could just set the pots on it and wheel them in and out of the garage and back into tent for the evening.
      Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
      Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
      6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
      Canna Coco/perlite
      General Hydroponics Flora Series
      Cal/Mag.

Tent
      Bruce Banner
      Kushy Kush
      2Cookies and cream

Comment

Nice plants, some day I will have some like that.

Comment

No problem I just harvested about 130 grams going between sun and LED.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

• dbdDemon
            dbdDemon commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice, someday I will be there lol

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep...

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X