When to repot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to repot?

What do you all use to know when to repot? I repotted one and within a week and a half the roots are already coming out the bottom of the pot.

That looks like a pretty small pot to me. When you see roots it's usually time to repot. I wouldnt grow in anything less than a 3 gallon as my final pot but i usually start my plants in a seed starter tray then plant into a pot. It also depends on how big you want your plant. In the link provided there is a section about pot size and desired plant size. https://www.growweedeasy.com/choose-right-pot . So taking into consideration how much space you have to grow you can decide on a final pot size. I would start in a pot the size in the picture and then repot when you see roots. These are only guidelines so there are exceptions. For example in a sea of green, instead of having one or two big plants you have like 10-15 small plants and those would be in smaller containers and not get as big. You get approximately the same yield, but both approaches are vastly different.

Comment

Thank you very much, they are babies I just bought two weeks ago. I should have used a bigger pot. My final pot is going to be a modified 5 gallon bucket. Do you go straight from starter tray to your final pot?

Comment

I'd recommend against it. I did this grow but it didnt develop as fast as i wanted in the first few weeks because it takes longer for the pot to dry and i ran into ph issues, then over-watering issue. I will be putting them in transplant pots or solo cups probably next time before moving them to my final pot. I start from seed so its a little different than buying clones from a breeder. Im not familiar with buying clones or how long they were taken from the mother plant. They arent going to die if you leave them in there for another few days, or even a week or two maybe but you will want to re-pot to avoid any issues with it being root bound.

Comment

Thank you again, very much appreciated. I still have a lot to learn

Comment

As soon as my seeds show the cadeladen , i start them in a 3" peat pot and put them under the light. Then when the roots poke through the bottom I bury pot and all in their permanent pot. Thus eliminating the shock of replanting. I use 3 gal. black plastic pots.

Comment

Do you have air flow under your pots? Their not sitting in any moisture? I usually see a few roots poke out a little bit. But once they realize there's no moisture they seem to stop growing. Im growing in 5 gal pots. That looks like a 1gal pot? I think if your gonna repot again, might as well set her up in her final home.. give it some time to settle in.
              Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
              Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
              6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
              Canna Coco/perlite
              General Hydroponics Flora Series
              Cal/Mag.

Tent
              Bruce Banner
              Kushy Kush
              2Cookies and cream

Comment

• dbdDemon
                dbdDemon commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah that was one of the mistakes I made with my first grow, I have added fans and air holes to my pots. They weren’t getting enough air flow around the root area. I also had to add more perilite to the soil I am using. After reading some of these comments I went and figured out which pots I am going to use thru out the whole life cycle. Once rooted in a seedling pot I am going to go too a pot approx 2 gallons then to the final pot which is a 5 gallon. And no they aren’t sitting in moisture, but I do need to raise the medium size pots off of the table to help with air flow.

I've done seeds for the first time (my first crop was clones). I did starter trays to pop, then just transplanted them a few days ago into gallon size, Ill transplant into my 5 gallon once they outgrow these.

Last time with my clones I went from solo cups right to my 5 gallon, I wish I woulda had a mid size.

Comment

• dbdDemon
                dbdDemon commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to know, finding the right mid size was my issue at first but I have figured I am going to approx 2 gal for my mid size pot. Seems to leave enough side room for roots to grow. Others were to tight.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X