Gentlemen only, ladies forbidden.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentlemen only, ladies forbidden.

No you silly goose I'm not talking about G.O.L.F. and I'm not excluding any gender from conversation in the thread, I am in fact quite respectful and fond of the opposite sex, but for now I want to talk about "the boys"

What I would like to do is open a discussion about male cannabis plants, there's just not enough information on growing and keeping quality male genetics I know not so exciting. In the vast interweb, even the professional Medical growers I've been talking with have no input past

"I found a male with my females and immediately killed it"

It is at this point That I would like for this conversation to start, what happens to a male that isn't given a death sentence?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181001_212353.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	337143
    A big concern for Growers with regular seeds is identifying male vs female plants and separating them fast enough,

So how Fast is Fast enough for safe separation? And can you identified males before forced flowering?

My first thought on pollen sacks is that people jump the first gun that pops and kills the plant when in fact there should be a Window of time you have before pollination can occur. Anybody know when the plants ball drop?

My second thought is can you identify your plants with pre flower in a long vegetative stage? Do Male plants need a light change to develop pollen sacks? And my biggest question, can you keep a father without risk of pollination?

I have more to ask and share but we will start here.

Thanks for you interest.
    You're killing me Smalls!

I have had great m-f ratios when I follow these steps.

on the male side, I have seen male parts before flowering. I had a hermi once, I plucked every male part that grew the final product was seedless. Yields were crap.
    Balls drop in different sequences for different strains (I am just assuming).
    I have not grown every strain, but know some males develop their sexual organs faster than females do.
    If you want to keep a male, you can isolate it. But pollen can travel on clothes and shoes... best practices will ensure no accidental cross pollination.
    You can also put a bag over a branch and freeze the pollen for future use. Seems safer that way.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      From what I'm hearing is that you what to keep the late bloomers for breeding, a more desirable trait. I wouldn't be surprised if most of my no shows are male. When you found your Afghan males did you cull them?

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I yanked them. Don’t have the space for a real breeding program. Anyone can make a seed. It’s much more difficult to stabilize a genetic trait. Which is what I am most interested in.

• JDU
      JDU commented
      Editing a comment
      And even more difficult to stabilize multiple traits.

well my good friend, if you want to learn about males you gotta ask the breeders, should learn about dj short, and i cannot recommend enough you watch Vader OG on youtube, absolutely fantastic videos, plenty of growing rounds and plenty of seed rounds, im taking day by day walktru with plenty of info and great vibes. males are the secret sauce of every breeder, nobody shares and pretty much everyone crosses their prime males to every strain they come across

Comment

I'm subbed! Very interesting topic, furley. Of course the minute I read the topic title, I clicked on it.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Click Bait … And perfect at that.... You are so right.. " MALE ? kill it" I am looking forward to reading the developments in this interesting idea. Great post Mr. Furley
    I thought I was done reading for a few weeks... BUT THIS has piqued my interests

Comment

i know years ago bomb seeds used to make a big deal about a male they had and used for breeding. dont know about now as i havnt checked thier site in a long time.

Comment

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you ​​​​​​​ Ell great info I'll check up on it.

• Eliot Pryor
      Eliot Pryor commented
      Editing a comment
      Grew a Berry Bomb by Bomb Seeds. I remember thinking it was the Bomb when smoking it. I know I grew it because its in my notes but it was a long time ago. Seem to remember they offered several kinds of Bomb derivatives. Makes sense now.

At one time we would not just kill a male, we would however try to hermie it. We would strip it of all green growth, and let it be. What we got was ~50% died from the shock, ~25% came back male, and the remaining ~25% showed to be female. In the end I did not like it and we started pulling them again. Also more eyes were watching for long hairs going into the woods with a shovel,,,
    A few observations;
    Males generally grow taller and start onesies sooner than females, the stretch is more between limb shoots

Comment

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      Rwise if I keep some males this will have to be tested. Thank you.

After the reading the thread on the quality of seeds recently, think I will look at this also.
    Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
    A tale of two seeds
    Batter Up Sour Deisel
    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      RagWeedDWC
      No promises of breeding, but you never know.

Thanks you all for the great information

Here is the background for this thread.

I have 14 Regular seeds, 3 different strains, at 8 weeks of 24hr light in 4 inch plastic pots under 93 watts of t5.
    they have all been cloned except one plant, after two unsuccessful attempts that one is just going to wait.

I have 6 confirm females with preflower, 2 confirmed males, 4 best guess/to small preflower and 2 with no signs of preflower all with out a light change

So my first question has been answered that males will show in vegetation. It seems as if they are "late bloomers" and I will continue to veg the no shows out even after the clone show sex with a light change to confirm that all my genetics will/will not show sighs in veg.

The 2 male I have confirmed (4 plants total) have been removed to a separate area and will be thinned down. I well continue to keep a close eye for development on the pollen sacks and a attempt at fathering.

The Clones will be flowered out in the next couple week's.for conformation of sex

Name:	20190913_224331.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	337991

I will update my progress as it becomes available.

Comment

I have come to this point at day 85, six males from three strains, in four inch pots under 46 watts of Cfls, all have preflower and none have cluster or open sacks. It is from my understanding that the males will not start to flower and pollinate untill they get a light change just like the females,
      So Yes you can father a male.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20191004_193218.png Views:	0 Size:	2.49 MB ID:	340067
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20191003_214426.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	340066
      I have killed all of their clones without a ight change and I am assuming I am correct with sex.

Last edited by Mr.furley; 10-05-2019, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        That is so cool. I never thought about light change and pollen sacs.... duh....

I hope to one day have the time, space, money, and plants worthy of keeping enough to try breeding. I mean one of the best strains to date GG4 was a mistake. It was not an intentional cross. Yet it is by far one of the best ever.

I dont even fathom being good enough to create a strain that master growers can occasionally produce. But hopefully I have at least 40 years of growing left so maybe one day. All the crosses I want to try have been done. Like GG and GSC.

One I've been toying with is Nitro Lemon Haze and Blue Dream. I'm not aware of that being crossed. But Bluberry Lemonade has a nice ring to it.
      You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

I agree, I would love to have the space for breeding. Will follow this instead :-)
        Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
        A tale of two seeds
        Batter Up Sour Deisel
        Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
        New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
        Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

real interesting subject. Sub'd. Will help when I build a grow room in the future.

Comment

Not much to offer the world of cannabis?
            1) it's a male
            2) It liked to grow sideways from the get go.
            3) It likes to be all droopy.
            4) water hog.
            5) nothing symmetrical.
            6) doesn't stink
            but it just wants to grow, big and fast!

Name:	20191020_033044.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	343577
            This plant is on the short list.

Rwise I have striped this plant down twice now and no feminization, yet.

Comment

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry it's a Bruce Banner but you may call it anything you like, Iv been referring to it lately as Mr. Stick.
              Last edited by Mr.furley; 10-20-2019, 01:44 PM.

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. twig? Mr. Hat is going to come back with a vengeance!

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              I am sure it depends on strain, and it was never 100%, after one came back male, we did not try again just pulled em!

Droops Banner FC

sounds like a TV show, Movie title or possibly a politician

Mr Stick - LOL
            the Mr makes it sound polite

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X