Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New grower setup advice

Hello GWE community
    i recently stumbled onto this website and have been obsessed with it. For the past week I have been reading every chance I get.
    I would love to start growing my own bud.I do have some questions for the experienced growers though.
    My plan at the moment is to only start with 2 plants. Most likely an Autoflowering strain grown in a coco setup I believe it is referred to as.
    My first question is about the odor. It properly setup does the carbon filter erase all of the scent? This is a deal breaker weather or not I go through with the grow.
    Secondly, since I only intend to grow a few plants at a time would a grow box or tent only 4ft high be enough? Say 2x2x4. Would the plants be smothered? Or come to close and be burned by the light?
    Anyway thanks in advance for any advice

With a high quality carbon filter u will remove almost all of the smell. That height tent will be far too short.

Comment

Welcome! You sound like me a handful of months ago.
      To answer your questions: yes, carbon filters are capable of scrubbing all odor if setup correctly. I grew really smelly Critical Jack, and I had zero odor when the tent was sealed up.
      And 4’ is possible for small grows, but generally, I’d say it’s too small. I think 6-7ft is a nice minimum. But it all depends on what lights you’ll be running, what kind of plant training you do, etc. If you want a short tent, don’t look at lights that require a lot of space between them and the plants. Think about T5s, CFLs, etc.
      Gorilla 3x3
      LEC 315
      Kind Soil
      Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

• Smokesteve
        Smokesteve commented
        Editing a comment
        T5s and cfls are inferior.

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not if you’re short on space, they’re not.

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        My first indoor tent was a 2-2-4, like your taking about, I used a cheap 300watt ,145 watts at the wall GH led ,and about ten 100watt equivalent cfls,
        And I got just a few grams short of 8ozs dry bud from a Northern Lights auto from Nirvana. Good dense bud.
        But I was constantly training her to keep her as short as I could.
        DW2 uses cfls, and so does 9fingers, and they grow awesome bud.

Start with good quality seeds.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I have two grow boxes which definitely limits the height I can achieve. This is the model: https://www.bcnorthernlights.com/products/room-mate

This was ideal for me because when I started 3 years ago, I knew nothing about setting up a grow room from scratch and I didn't have the time. I wanted stealth, hydroponic and quiet.

Your obsession with GWE is a healthy one!! You couldn't have come to a better place to learn how to do this.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Greenone
          Greenone commented
          Editing a comment
          What kind of yields do see usually see with those grow box’s?

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Greenone My yields have been improving as my grow skills have improved. I'm trying to get up to around 12-16 oz per box. I believe it can be done. Last grow I yielded 14 oz between the 2 boxes, but I'm hoping to beat that on this grow.

Wow thats a great set up. But holy smokes. That must have cost quite a bit.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, it wasn't cheap. I invested some inheritance money I had in the first one, and they gave me a really good deal on the second one.

Quality isn't cheap for a reason.. Compared to the return, it's pennies on the dollar. Everyone's different and I respect that, my thoughts are buy once cry once. The picture is for a anti mosquito unit that works well in case anyone's in need of a proven product. I've used mine for over a year now and it really is amazing. I think it's about 45.00 with a starter kit that includes three patches and one butane tank. Each patch last up to 3-4 hours and the butane lasted for all three patches. I know it's off the wall but with wears going on with the mosquitos now days it's better safe than dead. ✌️ Everyone.
        ​​​​Organic Grow, kind Soil, Foxfarm Ocean Forest, , Perlite.

​​Vivosun 5 x 10

Spider Farmer sf2000 X2

AC Infinity Axial Fan Driver Coolers

Ventilation AC Infinity 6"

Carbon Filters AC Infinity in and out

Root Trapper 2 Smart pots 7 gallon

Change your thoughts and you change your world.

Comment

Sorry Green one, my suggestion is to always overbuy if you can. It's better to have room to grow into that grow out of. And for the height, I agree with 6-7'. You could probably get away with smaller but what I suspect happens is after you get bugs worked out, no pun intended, and things begin to roll for you as they will, you'll be wanting more room.
          ​​​​Organic Grow, kind Soil, Foxfarm Ocean Forest, , Perlite.

​​Vivosun 5 x 10

Spider Farmer sf2000 X2

AC Infinity Axial Fan Driver Coolers

Ventilation AC Infinity 6"

Carbon Filters AC Infinity in and out

Root Trapper 2 Smart pots 7 gallon

Change your thoughts and you change your world.

Comment

I hear you Dude. I am a little worried the yields will not be enough.

Comment

it is also worth mentioning, Greenone, that there are strains out there that produce no smell or minimal smell, Northern Light and Blue Mystic for example. I just finished my first grow of NL Auto and can confirm any smell was barely noticeable even without a carbon filter.

Comment

I went with a taller tent and spent as much as I could on my light(NextLight Mega). My first grow of Royal Kush was great. I use a carbon filter and it works great too.
                4’x4’x6 1/2’ tent, Nextlight Mega, Roots Organics 707 soil in 5 gallon square plastic planters, GH Flora Series Performance Pack nutes alternated with Fish Sh!t in RO water

Comment

• sgiacomo
                  sgiacomo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi s62. I love it! Have only competed one grow of Royal Kush that was amazing but am only a 2-3 weeks away on some GG4 and they are loving it. After I bought my light I had a chance to meet a couple of their company reps at a local supply shop. Cool people backing it with a 5 year warranty (at least on the Mega) and told me they would overnight the replacement if ever needed.

• s62
                  s62 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow, that’s great! Did you find a good deal on the mega?

• sgiacomo
                  sgiacomo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not sure how good of a deal it was, my local shop matched Amazon’s lowest listed price of $1525. I think it has already paid for itself

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X