pH question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! pH question

I typically run my water through a Boogie-Blue Plus. My water pH is then 7.8. I use pH Up and/or Down to adjust. Should I adjust the pH before or after adding nutrients. I use Go Box nutrients and they typically lower the pH. If I should be adjusting before adding nutrients, do I then need to adjust again after adding the nutrients?

Thanks!

You should adjust your pH AFTER you add all nutes.

Are you also checking ppm or e.c. of this water? If you're new then it can seem a bit crazy but it is a must if you want to be successful. Imo

I got way better results after buying a 15$ e.c. pen , if you can acquire one I'd highly recommend it.

Good luck and happy grows ahead!

Comment

• HappyDaze
      HappyDaze commented
      Editing a comment
      Novice Guest I mix pretty large batches of nutrients for my DWC set-ups, and I can literally see the nutrients cloud up and precipitate out of solution if I'm throwing in a bunch of phos acid (pH down) or potassium silicate (pH up) after my nutes are in solution. I'm in the habit of pHing my raw water at the beginning to bring it into range.

Most people know that if you're using a silicate additive, like G.H. Armor Si or Botanicare Silica Blast or A.N. Rhino Skin, you're supposed to put it in at the very start to avoid complications, mostly because it says on the labels. But how many people know that pH up contains EXACTLY same thing that's in those additives... K2SiO3?

I wish I'd taken a couple of high school chemistry classes instead of hanging out with my buddies and getting high. I'd be a better grower.

I have only been checking pH to this point. Please advise on where I can pick up the necessary equipment to check ppm and ec.

Thanks

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Novice, I check pH religiously every day, but I never check the other stuff. I follow my nutrient brand's instructions and I don't have problems, and I top off my hydro reservoir every week with plain pH'd water if the level gets low. I'm not saying a TDS pen is a bad thing, but if you're doing your nutes correctly in the right amount of water, and not allowing plant roots to get too salty causing nutrient lockout, you should be fine...

• SirSmksAlot
      SirSmksAlot commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with Alltatup, I do have a tds pen but I only use it if my plants start showing signs of nutrient burn. That way I have an idea what the plants can handle. Each strain and pheno can have different feeding requirements.

• starramus
      starramus commented
      Editing a comment
      To answer your question directly this is what Grow Weed Easy recommends. Damn they have gotten pricey. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=growwcom07-20 Amazon has a number of different brands.
      Last edited by starramus; 08-03-2019, 02:39 PM.

I agree with HappyDaze , and I also go along with what GHE says about mixing nutes. (I know you havnt specified which nutes you have, but I think its sound advice.)

in this PDF, https://www.eurohydro.com/sites/defa...ll_plantes.pdf , they recommend the following:

This chart is made for «normal» tap water, with the following characteristics: EC = 0.5 – pH of 8.0 adjusted to 5.5.
    - For best solubility of mineral salts: before mixing adjust your pH level between 5.5 and 6.5. Control again after adding the nutrients.

For some reason, the US site of GH doesn't mention this, or I havn't looked close enough.
    GreenQube 1.5m x 3.0m x 2.2m tent
    2x CDMH 315W lights
    870m3/hr fan
    8 x 42L DIY DWC buckets, 2 airstones each

Comment

I always check after adding all nutes, and additives. My plants seem to like it. However if you consistently use the same nutes, and your water supply does not vary there really is no reason to check every time. The recipe will remain the same, and constant pH checking is redundant.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X