Outdoor Trimming / Defoliation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor Trimming / Defoliation

I've got two outdoors girls and they are getting pretty big. One is probably 6.5 ft tall (in ground) and the other maybe 5ft (10 gallon pot). I did manifold on each before moving outside, and have done nothing since. Last year I over cropped the one I had outside and the yield was pretty low, plus I got bud rot and had to chop it. I've read not to do much if any defoliation / trimming for outdoors plants. Just wanted to get some opinions if I should take some leaves off or let them go. They seem to be doing really well, just a few yellow leaves down at the base where there isn't as much light.
    2 x 4 x 5 grow tent
    6" inline fan w/ carbon filter (passive air intake)
    Two 6 fans in tent for airflow
    260w Niemi LED w/ LM301H

I did a a fair amount of trimming, more lollipopping, when I transplanted to 25gal. Have done a fair amount of LST, the plant that received the most defoliation is currently (in my opinion) the healthiest and is farther along than the other ladies.
    Meesta's Grow
    2019 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-meesta-s-grow

2020 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ta-s-2020-grow

Comment

• WizardsNThings
      WizardsNThings commented
      Editing a comment
      I decided to supercrop some branches just to try it, and topped a few others. Trying to at least get the canopy even

Just a bump for this. I've done one big defoliation on each outdoor plant, and just did a 2nd on the strawberry cough that is now showing pistils. Wonder Woman is a bit behind, but they both responded really well to defoliation and supercropping, and bushed out nicely. But as current day length is just under 14 hours, they are both transitioning. Is early flowering fine to defoliate outside just like inside? I imagine it doesn't make a difference
    2 x 4 x 5 grow tent
    6" inline fan w/ carbon filter (passive air intake)
    Two 6 fans in tent for airflow
    260w Niemi LED w/ LM301H

Comment

• MeestaFeesha
      MeestaFeesha commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm about to (tomorrow or later this evening) prune yellowing growth, as well as the removal of sites too far inside the canopy. I do not plan to defoliate much after this point.

It looks like I'll be having an "Indian Summer", hot until October, so I need to improve airflow within the plants.

I have thinned once and need to again, I think (here) we will have an early wet fall which leads into bud rot, so keeping air flow will be critical,,,,,

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X