Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone re-use Boveda humidity packs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone re-use Boveda humidity packs?

Hello fellow growers, I have been storing my cured buds in mason jars with Boveda(62%) packs. The results are great. I would recommend this relatively cheap and effective way of storing your MJ. My question is, do you re-use the packs once the jar is done? Also, do you all clean the empty jars when done? and how?

Needing to jar these ladies shortly
    Last edited by BearsFan; 06-23-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Hi BearsFan, ya, I agree with you, the Bovida packs work really well, and yes you can reuse them. Just Incase you didn’t know the packs will harden up when they
      have absorbed all they can. To reactivate them, preheat your oven to 250 F. Place the packs on a foil lined baking pan and put them in the oven for 20-30 min.
      let them cool, when you take them out they should be nice and pliable again. To keep them for later use, place the packs in a mason jar and secure the lid tight. If
      you store them in a plastic bag they are still able to absorb moisture through the plastic, maybe not much ,but glass is still better. Cheers. Greenleaf.

Comment

Yes, I reuse them. I wash my jars in the dish washer after use before the next batch goes in them.
        Last edited by Toker1; 06-23-2019, 09:48 AM.
        4x4 600w HID empty for summer
        3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
        2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
        running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

They are $4.99 per pack in the shop here in town. I have not bought any yet as I am not there yet.
          Last edited by FatBoy40; 06-23-2019, 12:15 PM. Reason: I can' t spell!

Comment

• BearsFan
            BearsFan commented
            Editing a comment
            Amazon is your friend when it comes to many things like this. I am all for supporting local business, but when such overcharge as this happens, I just can't do it.

I bought a 10 pack of the 8 gram pouches for $11.00 at Amazon, the 8 gr. pouches are perfect for the 1quart mason jars.

Comment

Yes reuse them I just rehydrates mine. There are a lot of videos on YouTube on how to do it. I watched a lot and didn’t see the one of the oven someone posted here, either way there seems to be a lot of ways to doit pick one and keep on curing..

Comment

I wrote to Boveda to see whether the pacs can be re-used, and they told me No, they can't. Once they dry out, they don't go back to 62%. I have seen all sorts of claims that you can do this or do that to refresh them, but you'd better check the RH in a jar with a refreshed Bov. pack first. I don't reuse them; I toss them.
              Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
              2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
              Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Toker1
                Toker1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Great info! Great idea to check results with the RH meter.
                Also good to note...A company telling me to discard and buy more of their products should be approached with the same amount of caution.

If I worked for Bovida I’d tell you to buy new ones too.

Comment

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                Just check the RH in a jar afterwards; if it works, let me know!! ;-}

I wrote again to Boveda, and here's their response.

We do not recommend 'recharging' Boveda packs.
              We are aware that people choose to recharge/rehydrate their Boveda packs. When a pack is recharged, we cannot guarantee the accuracy, amount of solution in the pack and the quality of the solution We do not guarantee packs that have been recharged.
              Our packs are manufactured to the highest standards and each solution is checked and measured for accurate RH and total grams prior to packaging.

I keep my packs sealed in a plastic bag inside a glass jar, and they last a good long time. When they get grainy, I toss them.

Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
              2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
              Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd say putting them in a jar of distilled water is definite tampering outside the realm of what they are made for. As for putting them in a jar of "wet weed," you're just asking for trouble!!!!!

Why don't you try sending back some dry ones and see if they replace them? ;-}

• Toker1
                Toker1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Why mess with distilled water? Putting them in a room with a high RH will do the exact same thing.
                You may be right about the trouble aspect, but in theory distilled water and wet weed will end up with the same end result. So tampering doesn’t really come to mind.
                Good idea, let’s see if this “Any reason return” policy really holds any water.

• Greenleaf
                Greenleaf commented
                Editing a comment
                I totally F.U. guys, putting a desiccant in the oven at 250 for 20-30 min. will not reconstitute them back to 62%. It will completely dry them out to a 0% humidity. I used to do that with a desiccant that I used to dry out mushrooms that I grew, you don’t want any moisture in that desiccant. Sorry for the misinformation. I’d agree with you, throw out the old ones and buy new ones.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X