Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viparspectra 1200w Height Distances

Greeting folks
    Just one question, I`ve been battling heat temps with 2 x 600hps in a 120x240x200 tent and fancied a change in stress levels. I`m hoping to start up again later in the year as I`m now closed down for a-whiles and have treated myself to 2 x 1200W Viparspectras to see how they fare.
    I`m not the most technically astute bloke so I wonder if anyone could hopefully answer a few questions for me please which I either failed to understand or couldn`t find when hunting for info:
    -Is the 1200W Vipar realistically as powerful or more so than say,a 600w hps (I have seen it compared to a 1,000w hps but that has been frequently shot done)-600w hps were my previous choice so like for like at min would be fine for me anyway but bit more wouldn`t hurt
    -If you have veg and bloom switches on during veg which seems to be a common suggestion from other users rather than just veg, would it be better to lower the veg height from recommended 32" in veg to somewhere closer to 24" in bloom/ flower-heights suggested by the manufacturer-even though you are still vegging. I`m thinking light stress here and whether these are as powerful as the claims made.
    Any thoughts on these LED`s from experience would also be appreciated. I bought these now as costs are going up over here and with Brexit causing widespread uncertainty I decided to get them at their current price and just take the chance. Grow reports have been on the whole, favourable but any thoughts would be interesting
    Thanks for any input
    Last edited by PaganRich; 04-17-2019, 08:35 AM.

I can’t give you results yet, but I switched out my 400 watt (450 watt from the wall) HID hps/mh light in a 24x32x78 area with 2 Viparspectra 450 watt lights (about 400 watts from the wall). I’m thrilled with the difference in my girls, I solved my heat issues & electrical problems too. I think replacing such large lights may require about the same ratio of lights as I used, so you need 2 1200 watt Viparspectras for each HID. Just my guess...As far as the mfg I have 1 of their 600 watt lights oin my veg area 24x24x78. I like them a lot! I am about 3 or 4 weeks from harvest but it looks to be a great yield, my best perhaps, I’ve learned a lot on this forum.
    If weed is healthy...why am I so broken down?

Comment

• PaganRich
      PaganRich commented
      Editing a comment
      SDwy Each 1200w is drawing 520w roughly from the wall so that`s just shy of a 600w hps if I understand you right...am I understanding that right? Thanks for this info and feedback mate

That sounds right to me. My room is smaller but so far the 2 450 watt leds seem to be doing better than the 400 watt hid did & without the heat or electrcal issues. My light kept blowing the gfi breaker & that circuit runs my whole garden, with DWC, I couldn’t risk it anymore. I’m even running the 600 watt LED on the same circuit now with no problems at all.

Comment

• PaganRich
      PaganRich commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks SDwy...bears out from your experience stuff written and great to have first hand back up...thanks mate

These are low cost high hype LEDs. I used a similar Mars hydro 1200w (550w actual) to replace a 600w HID and my yields fell short, so I switched back. This was a single ended HPS bulb comparison I did. Results would have diverged even further had I used a double ended HID bulb.
    Also the LED increased heat inside my grow space because I ditched the air cooled HID technology for the heat sink technology of the LED.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• PaganRich
      PaganRich commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Toker1, I have seen that said mate but good to get first hand shouts. Grew Bulks for a few grows, lovely lass to grow mate and a kick to the nuts smoke wise-won`t be disappointed mate.

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome. Thanks! My first grow with them should be finishing in the next few weeks! Looking forward to that.

Those lights pull a bit over 500 watts from the wall. Id start higher than recomended on tenderlings. Then slower lower them over time until tou find the sweet spot. I love my viperspectrum leds. Ill pm you.
    You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

I agree with spidermite so far I really like mine too. I grow in a small stealth grow closet in my garage. It vents to the outside. My old 400 watt hid light was just a batwing, it put out a ton of heat! My temps in the winter were ok, but when it’s not cold outside, my temps would approach 90 & mid summer, holy shit! I shut down or grow 1 plant hidden outside in my garden. I could only use part of my grow room because it’s 27x60x83 inches.

I replaced it with 2 450 watt leds, put a temporary wall up & added a 600 watt led & a DWC setup & now I can run a 2 light rotation. Three light rotation if I count my clone setup, with cfl lights a dyi (8 8 23 watt batwing). So my guess for a small stealth set up LED works, but if you have a larger, better equipped grow area maybe stick with HID.

I bought the lights because they were the best I could afford & were recommended by GWE.

Comment

• PaganRich
        PaganRich commented
        Editing a comment
        SDwy Love the quote at the bottom mate. Yeap, heat is the main bugbear for me. Just gets so hot in there. Ah well, push comes to shove be interesting to see how I get on with them. Just ordered my Sept seeds-again to beat Brexit-7 strains so it will take awhiles to figure how those lights work with so many different lasses but that`s part of the fun I s`ppose Thanks SD

Another avenue is to lose the grow tent. Although I do have a 150X150X200 Vivosun tent in another room in my barn I like to use the unconstrained part of the barn for unlimited height without heat problems. I use a couple of Viparspectras for ancillary lighting, but an HPS is my preference. I believe you will miss the better yield of the HPS. Looks like Brexit has you in a tizzy, and somewhat in a panic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0569.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	258009Quoting NebulaHaze "
      • HIDs are the most efficient type of grow light (gets the highest yields/watt).
      • Of all the HIDs, HPS grow lights are the most efficient and the best for the flowering stage. When using HPS grow lights in the flowering stage, you can expect about 0.5-1 gram/watt if all goes well."

Comment

• PaganRich
        PaganRich commented
        Editing a comment
        starramus Nice grow there starramus-tizzy definitely, panic-nope. We will leave...eventually. I like Hps but the heat`s a killer and I live in a terraced house so rather limited options wise sadly but thanks for the input and photo

• SDwy
        SDwy commented
        Editing a comment
        It’d be cool to have the area & politics to do that. I have to remain stealthy. I hope some day to see weed legal here in the wilderness some day.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X