When are you considered pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When are you considered pro?

I am curious how this is applied to the growing world.
    The principle holds that 10,000 hours of "deliberate practice" are needed to become world-class in any field.
    Which in turn classifies you as a PRO
    Let's say you measured the amount of hours your light stays on. If you are tending to your crop several times each day all during this time, would you consider measuring your time spent this way?
    I have been writing a guide book, based on my growing experience and results. As some of you know I use hydro technology and grow from seed, always 10/12 weeks later, magic buds are cured to perfection.
    I don't want to label myself as pro at this time, but everyone thinks I am, based on the end results of course, so.. On that note here is some photos of the last grow.
    Current Grow #16: White Widow Germinated Jan 2019
    10x10 Laboratory
    FloraNova in Recirculating Hydro
    T5HO White/Blue for Veg - 600 HPS + T5HO Red for flower

Getting professional results once is no benchmark. Maintaining professional results consistently, on the other hand, might be.
    IMO a professional grower spends the majority of their life in the garden. It’s not just a hobby at that point in time.
    I don’t think hours clocked is a good benchmark... some growers clock many hours but their skills are limited.
    A better benchmark would be how many different types of plants they can be successful with. Not just different mj strains... but different plant species as well.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      What I meant was I have seen people grow a good crop, who would kill any of my citrus plants. I have also seen “professional” mj grows that really look amature at best. Always made me wonder how that particular company was ever profitable.
      I think consistency is a key factor. There are plenty of species that are even more difficult to grow than mj. Environment adaptability as well shows a well seasoned grower from a novice one.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotta agree with Toker1 here. I'm a college professor and I've seen so many profs throughout my career who couldn't teach their way out of a wet paper bag or come up with an original thought. Hours clocked or degrees earned don't guarantee that someone can do something really well or be a master at it.

Vitreous, I am happy for you if you have perfected the art of the Cannabis grow. I agree with you 100%: cultivating Cannabis involves a life style change. The goddess requires wise attention and care on a daily basis.

• RagWeedDWC
      RagWeedDWC commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm a professional at making myself and my bride happy, a few friends along the way is good.
      My measure of a pro is being able to delivery a quality product in the time frame needed, that, thanks to this site I have been able to do :-). What I have seen successful folks do and I try to emulate is document the grow. Measure, monitor and write it down.

Well ive been working in a garden since I could walk. Everyone says I have the greenest thumb of anyone they know. But Im an amateur. My Grandfather was a professional. I cant compare to what he could do.

Im working on becoming a certified Master Gardner through our state. But I still wont be a professional gardner.

Check your state and ill bet they have a Master Gardener Program. Finish it and you will be one step closer.
    You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

A great golfer is not a Pro until they are paid to do it.

Comment

• desertdan
        desertdan commented
        Editing a comment
        There are also many professionals that really suck at what they do. Maybe pro is not the word you want.

• Weed Pharma
        Weed Pharma commented
        Editing a comment
        And like golf:
        It's a competition with yourself-
        Shared with others-
        And you can not buy your game! (except for lessons)

Originally posted by Vitreous View Post
      I am curious how this is applied to the growing world.
      The principle holds that 10,000 hours of "deliberate practice" are needed to become world-class in any field.
      Which in turn classifies you as a PRO
      Let's say you measured the amount of hours your light stays on. If you are tending to your crop several times each day all during this time, would you consider measuring your time spent this way?
      I have been writing a guide book, based on my growing experience and results. As some of you know I use hydro technology and grow from seed, always 10/12 weeks later, magic buds are cured to perfection.
      I don't want to label myself as pro at this time, but everyone thinks I am, based on the end results of course, so.. On that note here is some photos of the last grow.

I'd imagine it is like anything abstract. You just have to know, not measure. How about this for a definition - a "pro" knows enough to be confident to give advice and when it is taken the advice has positive social consequences.

Comment

The master has failed more than the apprentice has tried.
        It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Humility is always good...

• RagWeedDWC
          RagWeedDWC commented
          Editing a comment
          "It's 4:19 u got a minute?" Now that's funny.

No matter how much you grow-
        No matter, how well you have grown in the past-

Every new grow, makes us rookies- all over again!
        It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
        http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• PuravidaC
          PuravidaC commented
          Editing a comment
          True Dat, Weed Pharma!! 🤔

I’m a farmer, not a pro, it’s a passion not a job to me. If I was getting paid by someone for work done and the the time spent in the garden than I would consider myself a farmer still. What constitutes a pro? Maybe experience,common sense,and a good working knowledge of mj. ( we don’t need no badges) or certificates to grow weed. I understand if your going to stay in the feild and make a 4 year commitment to horticulture cuppled with a degree at the conclusion. That would give creadabilty, book smart people usually don’t have much common sense tho (present company exsecpted of course). I guess if it was a job with all the perks,after a while it would b just like any other. IMO

Comment

• Potted
          Potted commented
          Editing a comment
          U can call yourself a pro or anything else u want. Bottom line....it’s in the grow, and the potency of the product ( quality) I call it

I would consider a professional someone who can achieve above average results out side of their usual setup/routine.
        A singer cannot be considered a professional if they sing fantastically in their bedroom. But instead ace that same outcome amoungst a crowd.
        I beleive the same can be said about growing.
        Im just a shy guy with a big dick.

Comment

All opinions aside... I don’t think small grows can be considered professional grows. The pest management systems are not the same, the heat management systems are not the same, it’s a different technique all together.
          Min in CA, to be a professional grower, you need a license and properly zoned space to grow in. These licensed indoor grows can reach a maximum of 22,000 square feet of canopy. It costs several thousand dollars per month to operate a grow of this size.
          If you can turn a profit off something this size... I will call you a professional then. ✌️
          4x4 600w HID empty for summer
          3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
          2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
          running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X