Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weights and measures

I'm drying/curing my first plants.
    I don't trust my fingers for callouses and dry skin and such to touch and squeeze my buds. Rather, I'm looking at weight loss. I weighed a bud a few times a day to see how the crop is doing before going to mason jars for curing when the bud lost only a tenth gram of weight in a 24 hour period (rather than a gram a day.)
    Is there, perhaps, a percentage I can look at for drying rather than using crusty fingers and intuition?

A guy walks through the airport with a buzzard on his arm.
    A flight attendant tells the man he can't get on the airplane with the bird.
    The man tells the flight attendant, "It's okay, it's a carrion bird."
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Hi Ginger, You can use a moisture meter or put em in the jar with a hygrometer... OR, you could go to the barber shop and get one of those gangster manicures. They'd get rid of your callouses, cracked skin, etc. Your fingers would be as soft as rose petals. But I would never test my buds for moisture by squeezing them. Test the stems.

And the flight attendant replied, "But this is not a Walking Dead plane."
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, but 'carrion' or 'carry on'? That's funny stuff if you know what a carrion bird is off the bat. Only a few friends get it.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, Ginger, I get the joke, I was just tryna make a joke out of your joke, or a joke squared...

• RagWeedDWC
      RagWeedDWC commented
      Editing a comment
      In the end: ts all fowl. I use the little round pucks, I think I buy them 6 in a pack, hydrometers. I also use the Bovida packs, and shoot for a 62 percent moisture reading. I hang for three to four days, and then to the jars. I still burp them for a couple of weeks, although the meters do stabilize after a while. Burping is a habit and I like to smell them.

Percentage of weight? Roughly 1/2 to 1/3 of the total weight will remain after full drying has been completed. Depending on strain.
    Just an FYI, when measuring small amounts (like 1/10 of a gram) the error percentage in accuracy increases over measuring larger amounts on a scale. So the % might not apply so well to amounts smaller than a few ozs.

or maybe you meant percent of moisture? In that case, yes.. a hydrometer inside the jar will tell you. Get a digital one for faster readings.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Those hydrometers are a budgeted item. I'm low budget. I've bought my second water/ph/light meter probe and have gotten bizarre results. Water is half wet. Full sun is only 3/4. I have to go with what I can read from the environment rather than probes. Maybe another good test would be to get a little dispensary flower. Weigh. Cure. Weigh.
      I had a couple buddies tell me I'm doing well because a small bowl burned four times with good results. Not too dry. I'm not burning for myself until I have at least a couple weeks in the jars, dang it! Such will power.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

• RFheavy
        RFheavy commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are going by feel, you can do the stem snap method. If the stem bends, still too much moisture. once the stem snaps, jar them. Of course, this isn't the most accurate way, but it's somewhat of a safe guess...?

Brake down buds till there the size of golfball. Place in bottom of full-size brown paper bag just enough to coat the bottom with buds,close bag fold over,I use a close pin to keep closed Shake a bit every day also open bags daily for mold inspection between 5-7 days than jar and burp daily hydrometer is needed for best results in jars lol

Comment

This is a very inexpensive hydrometer option and is better then nothing.

🐌 Including: 40pcs diamond cutting wheel (1in/0.87in/0.7in/0.6in, each 10pcs), with 8pcs 0.12in mandrel and 2pcs screwdriver. Quantity 40pcs diamond cutting wheel, 8pcs mandrel, and 2pcs screwdriver.

Don't trust the soil probes they are inaccurate for what we do and weight is as follows
        100grams wet should be 25grams when dry and cured for the most Part.
        You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly!!

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          Fine. I ordered one from your link, Mr. Furley. You, too, Toker1. Better not be more snake oil.
          Did you hear the one about the guy with the buzzard?

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey. No snake oil in my dab pen. 😤
          Yes. I saw that too. lol

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X