Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overdried My Buds

Hi GWE community!

So I was drying my buds for about 5 days (only took fan leaves off, hung entire plant, dry trimmed) and was running a humidifier to keep RH at around 45-50%. Around the fifth day, the small grow area started to smell a bit “musty”. I freaked out and shut the humidifier off (I also have the exhaust going and a fan blowing the humidity from the humidifier, not pointing at the plants) in the fear that mold could be developing. I thoroughly inspected the plants and found absolutely no mold. The plants dried for another couple days but the RH dropped to about 25%. After the second day without the humidifier I freaked again as the buds were really crispy (stems were NOT snapping, wth??), all the way into the centre of the buds, ugh.

So I cut them up and jarred them, the RH settled at about 46%. I rehydrated them by wetting a paper towel and laying it across the opening of the jar and closed the lid. I got the humidity to exactly 62% and after a few days the buds have started to smell really nice (they smelled very sharply “gassy” but have now started to smell more dank).

I have read in a few places that the cure is dead but I feel this may be incorrect and I’m looking for more
    information on the matter. Is curing not the oxidative breakdown of chlorophyll and other components? Why would rehydrating not restart this? Does anyone really know what is exactly happening in the cure? Are my buds doomed?

really appreciate any info/help!!

Hi growski, that's a very good question. Perhaps you caught it early enough to let the process proceed forward. The fact that they smell better is a good sign. Nebula says that over-drying will effect the cure, but that all is not lost: https://www.growweedeasy.com/drying-curing
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      growski, it's not that the terpenes have been lost--they shouldn't have been lost if temps were appropriate and darkness. On my November harvest, I overdried a little bud to around 46% RH. I immediately jarred it with a Boveda pack and it smells good now (3 months' later) and is pliable bud. If you've dried the bud to where it's crumbly, you can't get to go back to pliable. It's just too late, you feel me?

The curing process is a biosynthesis process that can only occur with the presence of water. When the moisture gets too low, the process of metabolism can't continue: it stops. Period. However, if you catch it fast enough and you create the right conditions, the bud will still be good. The bud I overdried stayed in a cool dark place with a 62% Boveda pack, and she never got dry enough to crumble. 25% RH is really low.

So you've learned that you have to be more mindful of the drying process. I check the moistness of hanging colas or the RH of jars at least twice a day: I don't want to fk up the bud I put so much time and $ into growing. I never forget about my girls when I'm growing/harvesting/drying/curing: what do they need? Is it time to burp them? Are they dry on the outside but the RH goes to 65% when I put them in the jar? etc.

• growski
      growski commented
      Editing a comment
      Hrm, maybe I caught them just in time then. The room RH was about 25% but when I jar’d them, the RH sat around 46% inside the jar. They were definitely crispy (but stems did not snap!!) and seemed extremely dry all the way through. After adding humidity they feel and smell a lot like bud I’m used to, seems like there may still be hope, but yes, will learn from this for sure, lol.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, they are supposed to feel totally dry on the outside, but then moisture from the bud interior re-distributes itself, which is how the biosynthetic processes continue breaking down the chlorophyl, etc. I'm still studying this stuff, so I can't describe the process in precise scientific terms, but I know it breaks down plant matter. It's parallel to curing tobacco or ageing wine. The aroma of the rest of my 3 month cured bud is totally different from 2 months ago. And I definitely "perceive" it as stronger.

I ran a strain and dried most jars normally and over dried a single jar to about the same RH. I did my normal cure, only in the over dried jar...I stuck a fresh stem in the jar (one that I saved in a plastic bag in the fridge from that harvest). The stem raised the RH and in the end only slight flavor loss was experienced in the overdried jar. All buds were potentant as hell.
    I read that’s its a benificial bacteria that consumes the undesirables. Which would make sense why some say you can/can’t re-cure buds.
    I myself have had luck. Like I said a fresh stem or leaf will help out in a pinch.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s my understanding of it. The burping process controls the populations from over running the jars when food (undesirables like chlorophyll) is still abundant. When the less desirables are consumed (later on in the cure process) then burping becomes less necessary because the lack of available food is effectively controlling the populations.
      If you kill the cure (overdry)...you can always start it back up by reintroducing a fresh batch (on some fresh leaves or branches) to replace the ones that died.

• growski
      growski commented
      Editing a comment
      This does make sense. Also assuming burping probably lets out any gaseous byproducts that are produced by the bacteria. I’ve really been trying to find out the actual mechanism for curing but haven’t come across anything too detialed to this point.

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes...it’s a gas exchange process the plant material experiences as well. I am no chemist, but the term cure literally means to dry. So...You are prolonging the dry in an attempt to savor as much flavor as possible. Too hot or dry, flavor suffers. Too wet too long and you got mold. So it’s a practice of finding that happy medium that preserves treps but doesn’t allow mold to develop.

When you hang a plant the humidity around the plant will rise for the first few days- even in a 25%rh room.
    What you experienced was a normal drying process and could have simply, been left alone- as the stems did not snap indicates there was plenty of moisture left for curing.

Once the outside of the buds dry, you are looking to draw the internal moisture through the whole bud to the exterior.
    I would not recommend placing a paper towel, as you are increasing the rh and thus hindering the cure process of sweating/wicking the buds moisture to the surface.
    If you need to increase moisture of already curred bud- then adding a healthy leaf works and some on GWE place stems in the jar (great idea).

My last plant was hung whole to dry for 17 days, while I was away.
    I thought it was going to end up as edibles/hash etc.
    The room rh was in the 20's- yet the small drying tent got as high at 46%rh.

I jarred the buds upon return and began the curing process- I didn't handle the buds and It is one of the few times I placed Boveda in the jars at the onset.
    Keeping the buds at a cool temperature (under 66f) while away, is what likely saved this crop, as it slows everthing down.

The bud smoked just fine and the aroma is great.
    KISS @ Dry/Cure: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• growski
      growski commented
      Editing a comment
      Admittedly, this my first grow and I’ve definately got a lot to learn, especially drying. I had a humidifier in the room and kept RH around 50% but I’m not sure this was a good idea as after about 5 days it started to smell like a musty towel in the drying area, so I freaked and stopped adding humidity. I guess I also freaked and probably unnecessarily added humidity via the paper tower method. Yea, the low temps hopefully saved the crop.

I think I harvested a bit early too (77F, counting from flip) as there were very few amber trichs, but I haden’t noticed any change from about 70F to 77F and my plants were losing a lot of fan leaves and the sugar leaves were just starting to go too, do you think I should have waited?

I have sampled the bud and I feel like I may get a bit of a headache and maybe a bit of anxiety. Ugh, the grow went fairly well, but I feel I messed up the crutial parts at the end.

Thanks for the input, I’ll really use this info for my next grow.

• growski
      growski commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, you jarred your buds at an even lower RH than me and your crop turned out great, interesting! I let the buds sit in the jar overnight and my RH was sitting at about 46% the next morning, probably should have waited a day or two to see what the RH would have settled at.

• Weed Pharma
      Weed Pharma commented
      Editing a comment
      growski, You want the fans to yellow but, once the sugar leaves start to yellow (all over the plant)- I harvest.
      I think they could go a bit more- I'm just not willing to chance it.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X