Coco coir + other soils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coco coir + other soils

I see some references on this on the site - have others started with soil then moved to coco coir, by itself or coco coir + other soil (happy frog, ffof, etc.) and what kind of changes did you notice, in times, yields, pests, etc.?

I'm currently using plastic pots + happy frog (I posted earlier that I was using ffof; it's actually happy frog), but thinking of next grow already. I'm thinking possibly doing it in a greenhouse where I won't have to concentrate on keeping it in a small space, especially vertically).

So, I'm wondering about coco coir (+ other soil, possibly) in smart bags and in a greenhouse? It seems there might be more bugs outside getting into greenhouse in the summer, and coco coir is supposed to have some protective qualities to it?

Don’t think coco coir has any protective qualities, but I only grow in DWC or soil. Maybe a coco enthusiast can chime in there. You can sure as hell get bugs in soil or coco just as easily. Coco probably dries out a bit faster, (which inhibits pest activity)...but also requires more frequent watering (which promotes pest activity).
    Yields are not necessarily determined by growing medium. The benefit of coco and all hydro is the ultimate control of nutrients and you will see faster veg times than in soil.
    Last edited by Toker1; 02-03-2019, 06:58 PM.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Lots of good stuff to grow in Ffof,Ffhf, FoxFarms Coco-Loco is also good stuff, and plenty of other types too.
      If you use straight coco, you'll need to add 30-40 percent perlite,
      You can have bug problems with any of them, though.
      I done got so old and lazy now ,all I'm using from now on is living soil, it's super easy, all you need is water an molasses.
      Good Luck with whatever you use.
      HappyGrowing and welcome to GWE.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Currently using coco with perlite , loving it ! Just gotta add cal mag an use nutrients , havnt seen any soil gnats like my last indoor potting mix grow , even those this is my 2nd grow it's going great !

Comment

I am a soil grower as it is "easier for me" to control the health of my plant and still achieve great bud. I have herd good things also about Coco Coir on the forum. As an indoor and outdoor gardener also, I stick to what I have the most knowledge of, soil. Theres many things to grow in. You can also mix your own organic media. I'am sure you will make the right decision for your grow and yourself Good Growing

Comment

Originally posted by Colombo View Post
            I am a soil grower as it is "easier for me" to control the health of my plant and still achieve great bud. I have herd good things also about Coco Coir on the forum. As an indoor and outdoor gardener also, I stick to what I have the most knowledge of, soil. Theres many things to grow in. You can also mix your own organic media. I'am sure you will make the right decision for your grow and yourself Good Growing
            I have to say right now things are going gangbusters (knock on wood) in the veg state, anyway. We shall see. It's only done when it's done, right? I only started nutes about a week ago, and it was really leafing out already, and in past week, they seem to be really shooting up and out - especially one of my Critical Mass plants. I'm using plastic planters + Happy Frog and watering nearly every day - I'm wondering if, here in Colorado, if things will need 2x watering if I used Coco Coir blend and smart pots. It'd be worth it though, if it paid off in more yield, though, I guess.

Do you do outdoor in the open, or do you have a greenhouse? I'm not sure if greenhouse is also called "outdoor" in general, I guess. How tall do your plants tend to get? Do you choose strains more specifically for outdoor rather than indoor?

Comment

• OzBud
              OzBud commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm doing a grow in my greenhouse out the back at the moment in coco in pots. some plants are 6' tall at 7 weeks old. No plant training, topping or anything like that though, just feed them and watch them grow like crazy

Originally posted by Toker1 View Post
            Don’t think coco coir has any protective qualities, but I only grow in DWC or soil. Maybe a coco enthusiast can chime in there. You can sure as hell get bugs in soil or coco just as easily. Coco probably dries out a bit faster, (which inhibits pest activity)...but also requires more frequent watering (which promotes pest activity).
            Yields are not necessarily determined by growing medium. The benefit of coco and all hydro is the ultimate control of nutrients and you will see faster veg times than in soil.

Aha, faster veg times. I see. At one point do you usually decide veg time is over?

Comment

• OzBud
              OzBud commented
              Editing a comment
              if you're growing photos veg time is over when plants have taken up a maximum of your vertical growing space since they can easily double in height during the flowering stretch if not controlled.
              With autos it's over when the plant throws out little groups of pistils everywhere that some refer to as budlets, the beginning of flowers.

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah...agreed with above. I grow photos... I LST the branches. Spread them far apart until they fill approx 75% of my grow space (square area). Then let them grow vertically until the light I am using can no longer penetrate down past the last node closest to the soil. Here is a good guide to use.
              Too-tall cannabis plants waste time and electricity, but too-short plants end up hurting yields! Learn how to find that perfect sweet spot for plant height!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X