Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TO B(oveda)- or NOT TO B(oveda): That is the question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TO B(oveda)- or NOT TO B(oveda): That is the question!

In reviewing my long term storage process (> 6 months), I am finding each company claims greatness and often contradict each other:

IE: Boveda claims increased preservation of terpenes for product stored using their packets,
    Yet Curidor (cooler/humidor) shows that Boveda decreases terpenes after 3 months and significantly at 6 months. (compared to Curidor).

That said, neither company identifies if it's the mono terpenes (which we smell and volatile @ 70f) or the remaining terpenes with a much higher volatile temperature. <- I don't know about terpenes, just regurgitating what I've read or viewed.

My long term storage area runs a constant 68f-70f for most of the year and I have never worried about it.

This has led me to adjust my Boveda usage to the following:

Add Boveda after the first week of burping, then remove one month later.
    Long Term Storage, under good conditions (few jar openings) used hygrometer- No Boveda.
    When I start consuming product from the jars (opening it every few days)- remove hygrometer and Boveda back in, to stablize humdity from air exchange.

How do you Boveda?
    Or not?

It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

I'm also re-thinking how I use the Bovedas. I'm sticking with hygrometers in the jars, and no Bovedas; of course, I'm still curing. So if the buds don't start getting overly-dried and crumbly, I won't worry about putting a Boveda in. I think it does affect the aroma.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Weed Pharma Curidor looks like a cool machine, but like others are saying below, I always run out before I would need something like that for long-term storage. My personal opinion: if weed's stored in a cool, dark place with average humidity, the degradation would be minimal after a year, but I've never had my home grown last for a year.

• Weed Pharma
      Weed Pharma commented
      Editing a comment
      It's looking like the Curidor is nothing more than a wine cooler/chiller. (at 2-3x the price).
      I messaged Curidor on the website: for info on how they control the humidity levels- no answer.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm convinced that there are more crooks out there than honest sellers.

Don't want to risk over drying so always use the Bovedas. After all of that work why chance it?

Comment

• BushyGuy
      BushyGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      You can always add bovedas back if it becomes too brittle. I’m here to tell you that if you add boveda too early you will alter the smell and flavour to something that you probably don’t want.

I tend to lead on hydrometers more then humidity packs.

I dont use humidity packs as long as my jar stabilize in the 60's the first week or two and stay above 60%.
    If the buds are over dry (it happens) say 49% stable I will use them to store until I can use them up, Most my harvest is gone in 6 months.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      I only use Bovedas for a couple of weeks at first ,but i use hygrometers ,another week or two, then the jars dont get opened anymore. Till I pull a nug out to burn.

I also try and time my runs to coincide with me running out of weed, usually about 5 or 6 months. 🤞depends on my intake😁.
    I also use humidity packs but only after drying for 4-5 days in paper bags, place in jars and burb daily for at least 2 weeks and
    after that I burp twice a week. Till I run out!
    Last edited by Potted; 01-31-2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Weed Pharma
      Weed Pharma commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, when you are doing air exchanges- I think Boveda keeps it fresh.

Howdy Weed Pharma, I do not use any humidity packs. As long as the buds are 'springy' to the touch, then they are O.K.. I cure my buds in jars, in the refrigerator, and burp them on a regular basis. For long term storage (six months pulse) I store them (in jars) in the freezer. Since I have switched to using bud caps instead of smoking the bud, I now cap them and store the capsules in the freezer as well. I have had some folks tell me that the fridge is too humid of an environment to cure in, but, come on, the jars are sealed and are only exposed to the atmospheric humidity when they are opened outside of the fridge when burping them. Early on, I lost about 1/2 ounce due to mold when curing at room temperature in a dark closet.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

I'am a springy to the touch guy also prior to jaring and curing, no humidity packs. Long term storage I vacuum seal small quantities of a grow for future use (thats also how it flies with me) and the rest does not stay around long.

Comment

i use them but i do believe they take away smell after a while

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ell I agree with you, that's why I don't use Bovedas but the first week or two.Or hardly ever anymore.
          Same plant, same dry an cure, open two jars, 4months later, the ones without Bovedas smell twice as good as the jars with Bovedas, but that's just my experience, I'm sure everyone has their own opinions and noses .lol

I’ve never seen any actual proof of terpine degradation with Boveda. I use them for both my Cannabis and my pipe tobacco and have been for long enough to notice any change. That being said, I’ve never had anything last longer than 6 months before it’s smoked up lol
        Rawtton by Ethos Journal

Comment

Well I pulled out what I call prince from storage in jars this week. It looked ugly after a year in a jar. It was brown and ugly. But it was ungodly to smoke. Hitting from a pipe it had no burn. Tasted so good you dream about it. And was better than it was at 4 months old as far as effectiveness. It was just stored in the cold dark and wow. 61% humidity is what it showed. Oh strain Rasberry Cough. So who knows
        You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

• Colombo
          Colombo commented
          Editing a comment
          I can smell the aroma, Vintage 2017. it was a great year. Handle with care!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X